Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL 405nm building kits (DONE)

Zom-B

UPDATE - no Krytons but MXDL instead Changes marked in red

UPDATE 2 - selling 7 kits Changes marked in green

UPDATE 3 - All parts except for the MXDL hosts from DealExtreme have been received. Payment started for people on the list (see below)

[highlight] [/highlight]This is how I will do this now. I will let the people on the list choose what they want (which kit, or backing out). I'll PM the first person. If he responds, I'll scrap one kit and PM the next. If this person does not respond within 72 hours (3 days), I will move that person one position down on the list and PM the next person in line, and so on. Not-responding persons will keep flowing down on the list until they respond or when all kits are sold.[highlight] [/highlight]

This is a sale feeler for DIY building kits consisting of everything you need to build a reliable powerful violet laser for yourself. There are 10 different kits specifically tuned for the individual differences between the violet diodes. Available power ranges reach from at least 100mW to possibly up to or over 200mW!

The laser will have no duty cycle because of the supreme heat sinking capabilities of the Kryton Groove (Kryton 2) barrel. There is only one thermal contact area, that is where the diode is pressed in the Kryton head. No Aixiz or other kind of module is involved. The lens is an Aixiz acrylic lens which screws directly into the Kryton barrel. (glass lenses are discouraged as most have a coating which blocks part of the violet light)

The flexdrive from drlava will get the most out of the batteries. Battery life ~2:40 hours! (at 150mA)

Only a soldering iron and at least one right hand are required to build this.

This kit consists of parts gathered from group buys and discounts, so you don't have to do buy the parts yourself. [highlight]Some of the kits will even be sold below cost price![/highlight]

They will be sold at an average price of $ 97.20* (ex. shipping) (old price was $ 97.04)

* See price breakdown, below

Package contents

The kit will consist of the following items:
  • Violet laser sled PHR-803T tested and measured (unharvested*)
  • MXDL flashlight SKU.3405
  • Jayrob heat sink
  • Aixiz module with acrylic lens (diode installed)
  • Flexdrive, current set to match unique diode characteristics
  • Three AAA (10440) 1.2V 1000mAh NiMH batteries from GP
  • A sheet with illustrated building instructions.
  • A graph with the curve of your diode
*It is possible to get a harvested diode for $4 extra. (First harvested one for free*)
Due to the measuring process, I have to harvest the diodes and put them in the Aixiz. See this post.

Please note that the batteries have changed to NiMH types!!
The average price of this kit is far below any completely built violet laser pointer out there, and they will never compete with a real Kryton in built quality.

Price breakdown

These parts can all be bought separately from different sources. The following table lists the cheapest prices I found for single units (incl shipping):
Laser diode $ 27,00
Aixiz module $ 5.99
MXDL $ 11.94
Jayrob heat sink $ 26.00 (us shipping)
Flexdrive $ 24.00 (raised in price)
Batteries 3x $ ???
I will be offering these items for the following average prices:
Laser diode $ 23,00
Aixiz module $ 4.00
MXDL$ 11.12
Jayrob heat sink $ 24.43
Flexdrive $ 21.43
Batteries 3x $ 13.22

Individual power, individual price

I will be offering all seven kits at a fixed price per mW ratio. This means that if the average price is $ 97.20, the lower powered units will sell below cost price and the higher powered above that. The total cost off all units (7*97.20 = 680.40) will be divided amongst the kits with weighted ratios.

The following list shows the mW and price of each kit:
(Price/mW = 680.40/928mW = $ 0.733/mW)
1. 90.5 mW $ 65.81
2. 112.2 mW $ 81.59
3. 115.8 mW $ 84.20
4. 137.1 mW $ 99.69
5. 154.4 mW $ 112.27
6. 155.0 mW $ 112.71
7. 170.7 mW $ 124.13

Total:
928mW $ 680.40

Note that the most powerful ones are even more expensive than than buying the parts separately, but I will have tuned the diode to this powerful setting without endangering it. If you buy these parts yourself, then 1) chances are great you will receive a less powerful violet diode, and 2) if by chance it is powerful, you'd probably have a hard time finding the maximum allowed power without endangering it.

Remember, this is just an example, and they are not real measurements or prices, just an indication of how I will calculate the prices by the time I do have the real measurements.

Shipping & handling

Shipping costs are as follows:
Europe - $ 6,50
World - $ 10,80

Paypal fee: 3.4% of the total price plus $ 0.54.

How, What & When

I will start this thread as a feeler, because I don't even know if there is a lot of interest in this sort of thing. At the moment I don't have most of the parts, and when I do, this thread may be converted to a real sale thread. It is not yet possible to reserve a kit, as the laser powers are not known yet. It is however possible to reserve a spot, so that when the kits are available, you'd be the first to choose one. (like a queue). <- old information

My laser diode supplier is amkdeath (who is in Iran at atm). When I receive the laser diodes, I will start measuring them, and a few days later I will have the measurements online, and the ordering (committing) can begin. As measuring the diodes requires me to at least harvest one out of the sled, I will sell the first person who orders a harvested a $4 discount (ie. no harvesting costs). Experienced users, please keep in mind that there is always someone who needs harvesting more than you! (btw, harvesting is very easy, unless you have two left hands, in which case you shouldn't buy a kit) <- old information

When the Kryton barrels are done and sent to me (likely not before half september, according to Kenom), I will start shipping. If there is not enough interest before this time, this will be canceled. <- old information

Because there is a real possibility that I will have less than 10 working laser diodes left after testing, I will sell as much as I can, at the same prices. See the link below about the bad quality laser sleds I received. I've also merged the two lists of interested people.

I've ordered the batteries, Lavadrives, heatsinks from Jayrob and the hosts from DX. I guess the bottleneck will be DX so after I receive those I can start compiling the kits.

Relevant links

Violet diode GB thread: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1215151076
The MXDL host: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3405
About the Jayrob Heat Sink: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202452073/0#0
About the Flexdrive: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209418066
About the power differences between 803T diodes: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209940381/480#481
Where I bought he batteries: http://www.dickbest.nl/webshop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1298

Afterword
Daguin once said, "be prepared for some stiff competition in the forum. Out in the world, people will buy them, but on here, you've got to do something "special." If you guess wrong about how "special" you idea is, you end up with lasers sitting on your desk waiting for the next rock show or you run a "fire sale."". Well, I hope this is considered "special", as there are a lot of people out there wanting to build one as opposed to buying a complete one. And with this they get the change of not only building one reliably, but end up with a high quality pointer that looks great and lasts!

[Interested people, in order of request]
Name Order paid
daguin none
pwnstar none
iewed none
ArdvarkOfDoom kit 1 yes
docjohn kit 7 (down tuned 180mA/161.7mW) yes
mikeeey none
FireMyLaser none
joebone none
F1ras kit 5 (down tuned 153mA/145mW) yes
iohutom kit 2 yes
sportcoupe kit 6 yes
shep666 none
dj_vagistat kit 3 yes
joebone
rfcman

0 kits remaining

daguin

Re: Feeler: Kryton 405nm building kits (>100mW)

I like it!

I'll buy a highest power one (if needed this can serve as my "reservation"), just to say I got one of these Zom-B kits :)

Peace,
dave

Zom-B

"Zom-B kits" I already like the sound of it. Thanks, lol.

Zom-B

I just received word from Kenom that, with the shortage of the barrels from the first run, there might not be enough barrels for this. I had no idea this was even possible (he's making 170+ barrels).

If the barrels are unavailable, an alternate option is an MXDL (ksu 3405) with Aixiz and jayrob heat sink. The price will be roughly the same give or take a few bucks, but the heat sinking will be less (although still very good).

I will at least wait until Kenom knows more about the barrels. Let me know what you prefer.

Im getting a barrel already from Kenom, but ill probably be in for a 150mw Zom-B kit.

iewed

I'm interested in a 150mW Zom-B kit.

Hey. I've been trolling the site for awhile... Haven't really registered until now because I've been trying to read up as much as I can to help teach myself about lasers and such so I wasn't buggin the hell outta everyone by asking stupid noob questions :p But I decided to register once I saw this thread just to show some interest in this little project. Personally, I think it would be great to have a DIY kit as a first (or even as a first project) to help along with the understanding of how to do projects like this :)

ArdvarkOfDoom said:
Hey.  I've been trolling the site for awhile... Haven't really registered until now because I've been trying to read up as much as I can to help teach myself about lasers and such so I wasn't buggin the hell outta everyone by asking stupid noob questions :p  But I decided to register once I saw this thread just to show some interest in this little project.  Personally, I think it would be great to have a DIY kit as a first (or even as a first project) to help along with the understanding of how to do projects like this :)

Great first post, welcome to the forum.

I Will take one of the highest ones also. :D

Docjohn :) :) :)

I'm a little confused here. If these are kits, then aren't the mW of the laser configurable? Aren't we just getting the PHR803T sled?

These kits look great but I'm just confused about one thing. When you buy a barrel, doesn't it already come with everything listed with the exception of the diode and maybe the batteries? The flex drive is optional with the barrel.

Zom-B

pwnstar, I don't know yet if this kit is going to be with a barrel or with the MXDL. I could try to make an exception for you and send it without a host, but who gives you the privilege for exceptions. If every one is going to request an exception then I would end up with a lot of unsellable parts and it'll become too difficult for me to keep track of and it's more prone to error.

pwnstar, iewed, The mW figures in the first post are not actual readings (hmm, I feel like I'm repeating myself). Are you two suggesting instead you want an average powered kits? In any case, you'll get your change to choose the power when I have the actual readings.

ArdvarkOfDoom, Welcome to the forum, and thanks for showing so much interest.

Jimmymcjimthejim, They are configurable, but the driver in my kits will already be preset to the maximum CW current for the specific diode, so that you don't have to do it. If you choose to fiddle with it, it's your choice.

GooeyGus, Yes, that's true, but then you'd need to find the maximum of the specific laser diode yourself, and I know from this forum that a lot of people (especially those with money) burn them out like it's nothing, and then whine about it.
[edit] Yes I forgot one thing, a graph with the curve of the diode.

This sounds like a great idea! Darn, if I hadn't ordered all of my parts for my first DIY I would have definently done this. You can't go wrong when buying a kit that has illustrated instructions and you don't have to worry much about blowing your diode :).

Good Idea ;)

Zom-B said:
pwnstar, I don't know yet if this kit is going to be with a barrel or with the MXDL. I could try to make an exception for you and send it without a host, but who gives you the privilege for exceptions. If every one is going to request an exception then I would end up with a lot of unsellable parts and it'll become too difficult for me to keep track of and it's more prone to error.
Oh no man, I'm not an exception, I want the whole kit! lol :p

Zom-B said:
pwnstar, iewed, The mW figures in the first post are not actual readings (hmm, I feel like I'm repeating myself). Are you two suggesting instead you want an average powered kits? In any case, you'll get your change to choose the power when I have the actual readings.
I understand 150mW is not the actual reading, but Ill buy a diode around that power. How many mA are you going to put in the diodes to use determine the power?

artix

50Freestyle said:
This sounds like a great idea! Darn, if I hadn't ordered all of my parts for my first DIY I would have definently done this. You can't go wrong when buying a kit that has illustrated instructions and you don't have to worry much about blowing your diode  :).

Good Idea  ;)

Me too! I just payed $129 (total including shipping, and blu/black marble anodization) for the same parts that are in the Zom-B kit! So this is a very good deal!

These kits are a great idea for Australians who can't buy a completed pointer [smiley=thumbsup.gif]