Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

more aquarium pics 10/24

Last week I used hand helds to experiment photographing them with an aquarium using fog with some and water with others. This week I used my PK-2 Projector and project it through my small aquarium with the tank filled with a little fog, then heavy fog trapped inside, and then filling it with water. I was able to get some very nice results as the patterns from the projector "glowed" in the tank with fog. Also, with some of the pics with fog trapped in the tank, it created real 3-D images inside the tank as the pattern projected is shown on the glass coming in the tank, and the fog in the tank lit up the all of the beams more than outside the tank, and the image is visible on the way out if the tank creating a real 3-D image. I should also say that the images projected were not using the 3-D image mode on the projector, but 2-D images. Lastly, some nice reflections were created when the projector shined through water. Enjoy

roughly same amount of light fog inside and outside the tank-

Last edited:

Pman

WOW WOW WOW. I could actually do this (not take the awesome pics though).
Especially like all the dense fog pics plus the 3rd and 2nd to last ones.
Were you using a DMX controllers, computer. combination or just letting things run in auto?
Have to spread the REP around:(

Last edited:
Amazing as always :) If you have some small air tubes and a compressor, you could fill the tank with water and have some streams of large/small bubbles in it as well. Might look cool :)

Pman

Just realized I dont think I have a fish tank anymore. Might have to look for a super cheap one at a salvation army or equivalent.
Next month is fog machine purchasing for those that don't have one yet;)
kind of funny that you wouldn't realize where the pics are being taken until the lights come on. Good place to not set off a smoke detector.

Last edited:
Thank you for the nice comments. As nice as some of these photos look, in person it looks totally awesome and never gets.

Crazyspaz - I have thought about air bubbles. The tank is only 2.5 gallons so a real small air stone would be nice, or one that goes across the back of the tank. Will have to pick one up and get a cheap pump. It could be awesome!

Pman - The projector was DMX controlled by my Chauvelt Obey 70 controller. When I am doing most of photography using projectors I like the control of every aspect of the projector. I just chose a shape or pattern, the size, color, stop the motion, and tweak it from there. I have to say the LK PD2 is a really good projector and I am sure you feel the same. I remember the controversy when we got them with the problems with the sound activation. I know you made a fix for it but I rarely use that feature so it doesn't really affect me.
Most of the time I stop all of the motion of the beams when photographing, unless I want to get patterns. With the projector the possibilities are endless and I will probably do this again. The 2.5 gallon tank I got cost me 15 dollars and when filled is light enough to carry full from my kitchen to my garage. I originally got the tank to play with the Laserbtb underwater 445 I got from Offroads GB, but I have many ideas to use it in the future.

oh wow. now you can combine this new element to old ones for even more stunning pics. can't wait to see what you do next.

Last edited:
Good place to not set off a smoke detector.
Fog machine won't set smoke detector's off.

These pictures are incredible. Love the image shapes the projector makes from the fog inside the tank. I think I might try this soon. For bubbles I'll try using the air pump I have that is used to aerate house plants.

Pman

Absolutely agree. Have seiko off my smoke detector in the basement multiple times with too much smoke lol. Takes a long time to clear it. Thought all smoke detectors had the photo sensors...

I have also set off my smoke/CO2 alarm a few times, which is in my hallway next to my garage. When I am done photographing (usually around 11PM) and bringing all my stuff in, the fog, which is not that heavy, has set off my alarm causing my dogs to go crazy and getting my wife very pissed at me. Now when I am done I always shut the door to keep the fog in the garage.

Tomorrow night I think I will be filling the aquarium half way with water, and half way with fog trapped in. I am hoping the contrast between the two environments in the same tank will look good. Some will be with hand helds, and some the the PK2 projector