Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mohgasm Driver Overheating

Oh cool. That's good!

I'm going to have to look into why mine is acting up. I kind of like the strobe :crackup: but I'd hate to cook the poor thing.

DTR

I would try heatsinking the resistors. This is what I do to them all. Even if that is not the main issue it will reduce a lot of the heat buildup. Try running it with your finger on the resistors. My bet is you cant keep it there more than three or four seconds.;)

p1018834.jpg

rhd

I would try heatsinking the resistors. This is what I do to them all. Even if that is not the main issue it will reduce a lot of the heat buildup. Try running it with your finger on the resistors. My bet is you cant keep it there more than three or four seconds.;)

http://imageshack.us/a/img851/4655/p1018834.jpg

I do that ^ too. And if the build has space, I'll even remove the surface mount resistors and use an external 3W 0.68 ohm resistor instead.

^^ OK, so I'm using the older style driver that is Arctic Aluminaed to the top of the pill (with a chunk of aluminum on top as well) vs the round style inside the pill where all the components are heatsinked to metal. The round style driver gets better heatsinking in the C6 host which would explain things.

^^ OK, so I'm using the older style driver that is Arctic Aluminaed to the top of the pill (with a chunk of aluminum on top as well) vs the round style inside the pill where all the components are heatsinked to metal. The round style driver gets better heatsinking in the C6 host which would explain things.

yeah, the design have improved a lot since then lol

Maybe it's a bad battery. I noticed that some cheap batteries can't keep up with lasers that demand a lot of power. The laser will start to strobe after a minute or two. Test the battery with a multimeter. I have some 16340s that do this and one 18650 as well. They will charge up to 4.2V but after they start doing the strobe thing they will measure less than 2.7V.
They are now at the bottom of my junk box.

Edit: I noticed this with Micro Flex and Micro Boost drivers with 405nm (12X) and 445nm diodes.

Last edited:
RA: there is a post about a fake ultrafire 3000mAh cell in the battery section, fairly recent, that would be a valid explanation for why some cells have very low capacities.

That is true with a boost driver, but I am using a linear driver

Believe it or not, using crappy batteries would make a laser like mine go Longer with out flashing

Crappy batteries = high internal resistance
high internal resistance + 1.8A output = Lower voltage coming out of batteries
Lower voltage = less heat being disipated in the driver
less heat in driver = less overheating/less flashing

Last edited:
So, heatsink the driver in the host like Moh advises in his tutorial.

http://mohgasm.com/JAD.html

You need to heatsink them really well for long runtimes. The IC gets super hot running at 1.8A. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, mine overheats as well, but it's heatsinking isn't as good as in the above tutorial.