Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mobile version for lpf

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
iphone app has been submitted for review 2 apple

Sweet. Can't wait to see this on the iPhone. I almost hate to ask but is this going to be a free app or a paid one. Not that I wouldn't mind paying for it. More curious then anything.

Asherz

So did you develop an individual app in the end C0ld?

Look forward to seeing the droid version :)

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey bryson and asherz,

i didn't write any code for this just used the vbulletin mobile app solution

jcranmer the app with likely be free but with advertisements. however im currently having issues getting the ads to even work

possible situations:
1) if can't get ads to work and/or the ads perform really badly, i might also charge a very small fee for the app

possible situations:
1) if can't get ads to work and/or the ads perform really badly, i might also charge a very small fee for the app

Since your having such a hard time meeting the monthly donation requirement, I see...

Jeez man, when does it stop? The ads are so bad on this site I can't even load it on some of my computers at work. Loading it on 3G on my nexus is practically impossible too.

All I can say is thank god for firefox and adblock, on both the PC and android.

rhd

So did you develop an individual app in the end C0ld?

Look forward to seeing the droid version :)

Me too! Androids now outnumber iphones in the market, and are climbing even further. I'm sure there is lots of demand for a droid version.

hey bryson and asherz,

i didn't write any code for this just used the vbulletin mobile app solution

jcranmer the app with likely be free but with advertisements. however im currently having issues getting the ads to even work

possible situations:

Even with both options available, I would gladly pay $5 for an ad free version. Screen real estate is so small, that its worth it. Plus, it could be called a donation version

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
@Pontiacg5

time is money and i have spent at least 2 or 3 weeks of time trying to get this thing working in addition to paying for the software and various legal advice i got about it. $242 pays for the cost of the server, not the time that i put into researching stuff like this and systems/firewall maintenance stuff.

LPF is in great shape financially but for the time i put in its like having a part-time job sometimes. i work fulltime as well

if i ended up charging for the app it would likely only be like 4 or 5 dollars.

the forum (and most of the internet) would not exist without advertising

regarding advertisements taking it to slow to load, i recently removed an ad at the bottom ; i will not be putting an ad back in that spot. i also removed another ad at the bottom. so overall the site is actually down 2 ads. i am not planning on adding ads in any new locations. after an upcoming ad expires i will not be putting a replacement in that spot either. so then we will be down 3 ads

thx for your understanding. if u put yourself in my shoes i think u will see where i am coming from

Last edited:
. Plus, it could be called a donation version

Isn't there a subscription model now for apple apps? If so I think that would be a perfect compromise for ads / no ads. You pay a monthly subscription that goes towards a donation to the forum and get to loose the ads. If you choose not to pay a modest monthly fee ( < $2.00) then you still can use the app but have to deal with ads.

@Coldshadow, hope I'm not complicating things for you. This is simply my wish list. It would make it easier for myself and others to "remember" to donate. :)

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
this is a good idea jcranmer i will see if something like that possible for this situation

first priority tho is bugs... ive already reported 2 bugs to vbulletin. one is really bad, users can't register w/ image verification on. however, most ppl using the app are already probably members on LPF which wolnt need to register on the app.

another bug i just reported involves passwordprotected sections not being accessible via the mobile app (e.g. veterans section and moderators bl4ckhole section)

so yah right now the iphone app is still waiting the approval of apple.
android ill work on next

2 start out im thinking it will be free with very few ads. i should be able to get it to work. there would only be like 1 ad on the top i think (not sure how vbulletin implemented it exactly) i want to make sure ppl are satisfied with the thing and will actually use it in longterm. and i need to try and get vbulletin to fix these silly bugs

in middle/longterm ill likely have something like was suggested , or ill have one adsupported app, and one noads app w/ subscription.

first gotta just keep it simple

ill keep u all posted
peace

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
yah n/p rangedunits

so far 2 ads down, and 1 more will not be replaced towards the middle/top area that is in like 3 or 4 month. im 99% not going to put any more image ads. i know fast load is important.

but yah staying on the subject of the mobile app ill keep u all posted.

take care
peace

rhd

@Pontiacg5

time is money and i have spent at least 2 or 3 weeks of time trying to get this thing working in addition to paying for the software and various legal advice i got about it. $242 pays for the cost of the server, not the time that i put into researching stuff like this and systems/firewall maintenance stuff.

Wow, I had no idea this was running on a dedicated server! That's impressive!

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
we hav dedicated server and hardware firewall=)

the LPF mobile app is pending review by apple. i will keep u all posted.

peace

Very nice. Though personally I went with android.

To be honest, the forum is more or less perfectly usable with the native browser, I have a samsung epic on sprint. Just a lot of scrolling due to less screen real estate. 3g signal is more that enough... with 4g on (where it works) load times are very good. The only minor issue is with the pop up options, such as the smiley's and reputation.

Definitely wouldn't mind paying for a mobile app.