Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ML Argon w/Coherent optic.

Here's some pictures of the "lab Style" Argon diffraction grating, I was looking for, and found, thanks to ElektroFreak
DEOS Silicon Diffraction Grating Mirror CO2 made by Coherent Optics

This DG blows away any that I have ever used.
The line are well separated and divergence on the lines are great.
Notice the 0 order beam in pic. 1 and 8. The 0 order is second beam from the bottom, not counting ghost beam It appears much brighter then the parent beam. Never seen that before??
Great optic, here's the eBay listing again if anybody else wants one. This optic should be a "must have" for any ML Argon owners.

DEOS Silicon Diffraction Grating Mirror CO2 - eBay (item 390016805648 end time Jun-05-10 18:29:04 PDT)

CoherentopticArgonpics008.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics026.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics013.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics010.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics011.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics015.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics003.jpg
CoherentopticArgonpics007.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics038.jpg

CoherentopticArgonpics026.jpg

Last edited:

You got a laser amplifier! That's weird how the reflected beam is brighter.

Oh and:kewlpics:

Thank you E_F (and others). I really appreciate the tip on this one.
I would have never found it just from the eBay listing.
I wrote Ron (the seller) and told him he could link this post into his listing, to let more people know what this optic can do.
I am sure there are a lot of people who are dying to have something like this for their ML Argon's.
I know I was!!!:beer:

Killer photos Mark -------thanks for the link -gotta get me one of those

daguin

A quality Diffraction mirror is worth its weight in gold ;)

Laser light (like most light) is affected by forward and rearward scattering. The beam will appear brighter and dimmer based on the direction it is traveling from you and what size particles are in the air (and the particle's composition)

In this picture the original beam is coming in from our right. Notice that the beam coming out of the PBS cube (the one crossing over the color lines) looks brighter even though we know that it is only half as powerful as the original beam from the laser.
new19.jpg

Peace,
dave

**EDIT**
Set up a second diffraction mirror on the 0 beam. You can reflect a second set of color lines intersecting these color lines :)

Last edited:

Laser light (like most light) is affected by forward and rearward scattering. The beam will appear brighter and dimmer based on the direction it is traveling from you and what size particles are in the air (and the particle's composition)

In this picture the original beam is coming in from our right. Notice that the beam coming out of the PBS cube (the one crossing over the color lines) looks brighter even though we know that it is only half as powerful as the original beam from the laser.
new19.jpg

Peace,
dave

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. I knew there had to be a logical reason. My best guess was that the 0 order beam was "fatter" and therefore seemed brighter. But it did not look any bigger in real life, only brighter, it does in the pic. although.
**EDIT** Set up a second diffraction mirror on the 0 beam. You can reflect a second set of color lines intersecting these color lines :)
Yes, I will do that. That set-up will make some awesome pics., I bet.

Last edited:
WOW!! Really impressive photos. Thanks :) I can't wait to my ML to work with such a diffraction optic :)
Btw, does your cat like these colours? :D

WOW!! Really impressive photos. Thanks :) I can't wait to my ML to work with such a diffraction optic :)
Btw, does your cat like these colours? :D
Thanks for your kind words.
My cats run every time I fire up the Argon. All the noise from the PSU and cooling fans scares them, I guess. Even the wife bitches, "that thing is so loud!"
But I love it, so everybody is going to have to learn to live with it.:D

SUPER photos Mark--thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by daguin

Sorry for posting this here--I know it belongs on BS&T- I am such a bad boy!!!!they sould be gone before this misplaced post causes any freak-outs---j/k

Please send 30$ (in gold if you want) if any members want one of these grating mirrors. Add $5.75 for S&H (&PP fee)to lower 48 states. I will have only two available so PM me asap. They are exactly the same as the one used above by GreenM. For shipping rates to other locations plz PM me.---HAK
---thanks

Last edited:
necropost BUMP

many never saw these great pics by our much missed friend Mark-
now is agreat time to get an Argon ML- SS has made them obsolete and thus its a buyers market.

Pontiacg5 has one up for grabs -- great price and Plug and play too. Bets deal would be if you can make it to Kansas for free local pick-up. PM me if you want the last of those diff grates used by Mark in the OP photos(big thanks to EF for the tip on these)
Old lasers still rule-- just like old guys do!!