Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Miniature Cooling Fan

Hello LPF community,
I'm starting a new project using a blu-ray diode in a project box. The power source is a 9 volt battery and i am going to use a 80mA driver to regulate current. So, i was wondering if anyone knows anywhere where i could buy a miniature cooling fan that will fit in a 4x3.5 inch project box, and one that doesn't need much voltage to run. I am also aware that i will have to use different batteries, but it would be better to just power both the LD and the fan with one battery.

Cheers

Those small 60mm or 40mm computer fans might work. I think they run on either 5V or 3.3V. They'll probably drain your battery pretty quickly. A better alternative is to just invest in a better heatsink so you don't need the fan.

Bionic-Badger said:
Those small 60mm or 40mm computer fans might work.  I think they run on either 5V or 3.3V.  They'll probably drain your battery pretty quickly.  A better alternative is to just invest in a better heatsink so you don't need the fan.
Where can i find one? I have already done a lot of google lurking and the smallest i found was 100mm. I will use a different battery with a different switch. It will have 2 batteries.

roSSco

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=Bionic-Badger link=1212817675/0#1 date=1212829647]Those small 60mm or 40mm computer fans might work. I think they run on either 5V or 3.3V. They'll probably drain your battery pretty quickly. A better alternative is to just invest in a better heatsink so you don't need the fan.
Where can i find one? I have already done a lot of google lurking and the smallest i found was 100mm. I will use a different battery with a different switch. It will have 2 batteries.[/quote]
Try to find an old dead laptop. They use a lot of the small fans. ;)

Bionic-Badger said:
Those small 60mm or 40mm computer fans might work.  I think they run on either 5V or 3.3V.  They'll probably drain your battery pretty quickly.  A better alternative is to just invest in a better heatsink so you don't need the fan.
most are 12v but others are 5v. the only 40mm fans i found modding my xbox was 12v but they make 5v blower fans which are pretty small.

This 60mm fan was purchased through ebay, the box is about the size that you want to use, I had to mount mine outside due to the heatsinks on the regulators.

I seem to remember that the seller of this was in the USA....
Regards rog8811

Attachments

• Dual_voltage_laser_supply01small_001.jpg
    Dual_voltage_laser_supply01small_001.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 244
Just get them through Newegg.  I've got some old ones from computers and video cards and such too. I expect they should be able to run at lower voltages than 5V since some of these fans can be "quieted" by putting a resistor in series with them.

glona

i just got 3 litle ones out of one of the old laptop's i had thear grate

My opinion is if you use an adequate heat sink a fan is not necessary using 90 mA. That's less than 1/2 watt of power ,, and a nine volt battery aint gonna be able to supply enough juice for anything to run that hot for long :)

I know sidewindercomputers.com sells 40mm fans for about 6 bucks, check them out.

(Can't post full links yet)

Hi Spyderz20X6, I just got done stripping 4 old PC towers & i have a s--t load of cooling fans.If you still need one by the time you read this, PM me the exact dimensions & i'll take a look to see what i've got. I'm sure i can help you out. phoenix77 ;) :cool:

OK, Spyderz 20X6, I just went through ALL of my SMALLEST PC cooling fans & I have 2 that you may be interested in. The first is THE smallest I've got. It's circular, with a diameter of 43mm.'s / but only 17mm.'s tall. The second is a bit bigger. It's 43X43mm.'s & 20mm.'s tall, but you can probably trim the square housing down a bit to make it a bit smaller in length/width. Both fans run great on 9V. , but as Bionic-Badger said, " you can use a resistor to slow either one down". Or you can put in a 'pot' so YOU can ADJUST the speed to what you need. Both fans are SANYO DENKI mfgr, from Pentium Intel PC's. I'll let you have one or both, on the house, all you need do is cover S/H costs, from INDIANA, U.S.A. Just let me know OK? phoenix77 ;) :cool: PS., They MAY run on less voltage, but I only had a 9V. battery handy to test them with, & they both work GREAT & are VERY QUIET!

J

jamie.91

go to maplin they sell tiny fans, ones that dont even look big enough to do anything ;)

I still have those fans I answered you about on JUNE 8th I'd be willing to give you one if you cover S/H. phoenix77/rob