Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Many questions about first 9mm 445nm build!

Re: 9mm 445nm 2,1A x-drive in SL SS host build

Hi again!

So I have changed the title of the thread so everybody will know what this thread is all about!

Cheers brunes01

Hi all!

Host and goggles have arrived!

But I have serious concerns if everything will fit!

I think the battery contact board will go in here. Is that right?

And I guess it will look like this when it`s installed with 2 wires coming out of the 2 holes.

Now the tricky part! On the next picture you can see what the head of the host will look inside when assembled. The heatsink will have directly contact with the battery board holder, so where will I have space for the wires that will come from the diode module on the one and the battery contact board on the other side?

And one last question. What exactly for will I need this ring? It`s only called brass ring in the description of the host.

Thanks and Cheers
brunes01

Last edited:

no that ring at the top of the copper heatsink with sit flush with the head so there will be a gap between the heatsink and the pill. I have this host and it works just fine.

the brass ring goes around the round driver and is then pressed into the bottom side of the pill and then you solder the driver to the brass ring to ground the driver.

Hi!

Ok I see! But that gap will be very little, so no way the wires will find place in there!

I would like to have a quick connection in my build just like in this thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/first-build-2-5w-handheld-79265.html

The driver pill in this one seems to have the part with the 2 holes missing. So maybe there will be some space for the wires.

Can the driver pill just be "drilled out" to make it look like this one in the linked thread?

Cheers brunes01

Last edited:

Yeah you can drill it out, but a quick connect isn't a good idea as if the connection is lost for only a mili second it will toast your diode so you will be out a $100 diode. Not worth it in my opinion.

Hi!

Will that really kill the diode? I thought in case it will loose connection, it would just be like you turn it off!

My intend was to have a quick connectio/disconnection to use the modul either in the host or in a labby/bench style heatsink and a seperate power supply!

In case I will make it permanent, I guess it would be the best to directly solder the wires coming out of the module from DTR (driver included in the module) to the pcb contact board.

Are you with me on this?

Cheers brunes01

Quick connects are bad idea really but actually in your case since the quick connect would be before the driver and not after the driver like in that other build its actually not dangerous at all in terms of spikes killing your diode. The driver would still take care of the surges/spikes just like turning on and off the tail cap switch. The reason it wouldn't work in this case though is you simply do not have enough space and even if you did I still wouldn't suggest repeated disassembly since you risk damage to the diode pins.

As for space with the pill, I believe your heatsink being longer will allow the whole module to sit far enough away from the pill so you shouldn't need to drill it out. I would also suggest removing the metal housing around the driver so that your copper diode module is sure to sit nice and flush against the heatsink. If it doesn't your heat transfer efficiency could suffer and could kill your diode quickly.

If you want a bench/lab style laser I would make one entirely separate from your handheld. Handhelds, especially of that size, are just not meant to be taken apart often or ever if possible.

Last edited:

Hi!

Could the diode pins be damaged by just taking the module out of the heatsink?

Or do you mean the pins could take damage when unconnecting it by physical force?

Would not rather be the soldered connection on the driver board be in danger?

Maybe it`s a stupid idea anyway to take one and the same module for a handheld and a labby/bench style, just as you suggested!

So can I just solder the wires from the module directly to the pcb board?

And will I have to "desolder" the components off of the pcb board or can I just take them off with pliers?

Last edited:

The diode pins are soldered directly to the driver board so any movement on that board will translate to stress directly on the pins which is bad. DTR ships the driver encapsulated in the little metal sleeve to protect the driver and pins but for the most part the metal sleeves don't quite seem to sit perfectly on the threads of the module and can prevent the module from making solid contact with the heatsink thus should be removed. Removing the metal sleeve opens up the driver to movement which means the laser should not be disassembled except when absolutely necessary.

You could use pliers but you risk damage to the PCB and tracings which could cause it to break or short.

Of course you could leave the metal housing and add a quick connect but its just too much stress on highly sensitive components and the laser's life span would likely be very short.

Last edited:

Hi!

That are some very good arguments for not using a quick connection as planned!

And when the metal sleeve will not be used in the build I will take it off.

So what`s the best way to get all the unused stuff off of the pcb board?

And last but not least, how will I have to beginn to put it all together? :thinking:

As mentioned before, I still see no space to store the wires!

And I can`t imagine how it will be possible to press the retaining ring into the pill! It`s just way to wide!

Maybe that`s a stupid question, but how will it work to assemble the host after it was soldered together without twisting and damaging the wires?

The pill will turn when being installed and so will the part with the modul and heatsink!

I really don`t have a clue at the moment how to get this done! :eek::eek::eek:

Garoq

Here is some information that may help you understand the assembly process:

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58770/myimages/diode_soldering_instructions_small_9112.pdf

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58...er_ii_se_parts_bundle_inst._small_3-30-12.pdf

http://static.fw1.biz/templates//58770/myimages/sl-ss2lha_inst._addendum_3-30-12_small.pdf

You want to make sure you solder the blank board to the brass ring before pressing it in the pill. Otherwise the pill will soak the heat away from the solder joint quickly and obtaining a good bond is difficult.

The combined length of the wires will need to be trimmed to no more than about 1-1/2" before soldering to get them to fit easily inside the heat sink and/or pill.

DTR

I believe my whole module with the back half will fit in the SL extended heatsink. If so leave it on. There is no harm leaving it. It is there to protect the driver and the pin connections. No need to lose that protection. It also keep the driver centered so it does not short on anything.

On quick connects they are fine but probably won't fit in there. As long as the connection between the diode and driver is soldered and secure the connection between the driver and host being a quick connect won't put the driver or diode in danger but it is still not preferable as it can become a bottleneck for the current or you could have connection issues.

When you put the heastink in the host just don't allow it to turn when you screw down the head. Put your finger on it to hold it still.:beer:

Hi!

Thanks to both of you!

The instruction are very helpful and I found out myself, that the heatsink will not move with the housing when the front ring is not assembled, just before reading your posts!

So I will leave the housing on the back of the modul on, as protection for the driver!

Most of what I couldn`t imagine before started to make a sense now!

You`re great guys, I really appreciate your help! :thanks:

Cheers brunes01

To clean the driver for use as a contact board just use your soldering iron to remove the components.

The reason I suggested removing the metal driver casing is one time I had an Aixiz housing not sit perfectly centered on the diode module which ruined the efficiency of the module contacting the heatsink and ended up causing overheat problems.

If it sits nice and flush with the module it could actually help add heatsinking too so it just depends.

@DTR, are your casings custom made or are they stock Aixiz?

Last edited:

DTR

Yes all custom. If you remove the back half you actually loose some surface area contact with the sink.:beer:

Last edited:

Ah sweet since they are custom keep it lol. Aixiz ones are made to such poor tolerances that they can cause issues. I never build anything that can allow me to retain the housing anymore so I never noticed.

Oh snap I think I can keep it for my PL520 SkyRay build though.