Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mag Light custom extended heatsink. (pic heavy)

Tmack

Hey guys. I recently purchased a fully upgraded Jayrob mag light build from speedy. Installed, was the tail cap key switch, and the led voltage monitor. It also had the standard aluminum heatsink. The duty cycle was phenomenal with an aluminum hockey puck to take care of that pesky heat. It's driven at 2.1a putting out a nice 2800mw. This was one of the main factors that pushed me toward buying this. At 2.1a, I figured I would get better longevity for the 9mm. After having it for a while, I wanted more, in terms of duty cycle. After a lengthy run, I could feel some warmth and I decided to PM Mrcrouse to "make the warm go away" ;)
This worked nicely :p

Here is the stock monster.

9054-imag0691.jpg

The very well made tail cap key switch by Jayrob.
9058-imag0798.jpg

Here is the driver heatsink ed very well (soon to be even better) , the voltage monitor wiring, and the stock heatsink, which before selling, I threw some nice mirror polish on.
9051-imag0755.jpg

As for those giant cells I needed a quick solution. Thanks to djQUAN, I soldered some leads and magnets to my old charger.

9055-imag0668.jpg

Stock heatsink in her Sunday best ;)
8904-imag0715.jpg

Now for the good stuff. I contacted Mrcrouse and asked for 3" extended, finned, with a large matching focus adapter. I wanted something close to the Zaser and I got it, only much larger. I also wanted a driver pocket milled for some extreme driver heatsinking. So the heatsink for the driver is comparable to the stock diode heatsink. Came out great!
9052-img-20140112-155655-610-zpsc16afc76-1.jpg

9053-img-20140112-155638-720-zps6bd44922.jpg

9057-imag0795.jpg

First time having a problem fishing the module through a 4"(total length) heatsink lol
9056-imag0797.jpg

Here's the sweet voltage monitor activated by the key switch. Red, orange, green, blue, cyan. (from low battery to full charge)

9059-imag0799.jpg

In yo face!
9060-imag0800.jpg

Making a sunroof for my bathroom :p

9061-imag0802.jpg

E2 1.6w Dominator 3.5w Zaser 2.9w Mag 2.8w
9062-1389821597015.jpg

We 3 kings

9064-1389821923966.jpg

I really get to enjoy this laser. The enormous heatsink makes all that power usable. For the guys that are looking for a ridiculous duty cycle, just a stock mag light will do the trick, but something like this is Ina class of its own. My dominator has a 3-5 min duty cycle, and by comparing the size difference that makes the mag light duty cycle........a ......long.....time..... Mrcrouse strikes again with stunning work. Flawless machine work and he complied with my every request. Thanks to jay rob, speedy, mrcrouse for making this one possible. It's really a special laser in my collection. From the tiny e2 for short bursts of power, or the huge over the top custom mag light, that I use the lpm reading as a level haha.

Tanks for looking everyone. Hope you like it!!!!

Last edited:

Pman

I must spread the warth of more REP but thatsa big honkin doohicky ya got there!

:drool: DAAAAAANG, she purty! Incredible nice work by MrCrouse, as well as the super nice work done on the host by Jayrob. I really like the voltage monitor. Now, mirror polish the whole host! :D

Actually, black anodizing would look sick on that host, with that heatsink...

Ha that thing is a beast! 2.8W seems so wimpy now with that sink :)

Tmack

@ pman. big honkin doohickey indeed!!!! And the laser is big too huh?? Lmao!!!!!!

@crazyspaz , I was thinking about color. The more. Think about changing it, the more I like the blue. (Although black would look killer) ( but man that blue!!!!)

@speed78. That's why I made sure it had a driver pocket. Once I degrade this diode ( if that will ever happen now!!!! ) I plan to up the current just a bit. Make her over 3w . 2.25-2.3a should do just fine. Bt right now, a couple hundred mw is no biggie . :D

Last edited:
That thing is just bloody awesome!

I wonder how much it weighs :p
I must hand it to you both for such a work of art :D

+1 to both :beer:

Tmack

@jander . It left me speechless when I opened the mail and saw the thing lol. Gnarly is a damn good description.

@ will manners. I was just saying I need a scale just for this one. I know after lasing for a while I need to switch arms ;) holding the heatsink alone, I can confidently say that it alone is heavier than each of my lasers without batteries. :D very solid.

New self defense tactic. I call it the b&b. the blind and bludgeon

Tmack,

I love the blue! I vote to keep it. And I'd hate to burst your bubble but with a heat sink like that I don't think you'll be swapping the diode for a 3W anytime soon.

Tmack

@javalin. Yeah I'm not holding my breath for the 9mm to degrade :) I do like the blue very much too.

So it looks like my efforts paid off. On the lpm, it peaked at 2848mw and settled at 2793mw. Not a bad drop at all. It then bounced from 2793-94-93-94. I sat there for what seemed like forever and watched it bounce waiting to see 2792mw. In a nice about 2-3min. reading it never happened. I'm very pleased with the results. I will have to time the reading and record when it starts to drop. I'm guessing well into 4min. My Zaser is incredibly efficient at heat transfer and even it has a slight fall to the reading. I will also update with the weight of the monster in case anyone is curious. Happy Tony! :D

Last edited:

gismo

Your 445nm multimode family grows bigger and bigger, Tmack:D. You're well dedicated to the hobby, one must fairly admit! I like the fact how many members were involved during the building process of Mag Light all-in-all blue wonder. In sharing lies the power, united we stand, joy & fun is our (...understand...).

Keep up the amazing laser spirit alive:).

Tmack

@gizmo. Thanks so much for the kind words. I can't ask for a better compliment then that. After joining this community, I don't see how anyone wouldn't be just as dedicated to the hobby due to all the support that is given from the fellow members.

Lol that not even all of my 445's. just the ones in descending size that looked good in the picture. I admit it, I got it bad.

I agree fully about the great combination of members that came together to make this one . It's very special because of that, and I think has found it's permanent home.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
When are you planning to install one of the new 3.5 watt blue diodes? :eg: 5 watts+

Tmack

Ill let the 9mm that's in there now live the rest of its life and see what kind of pricing the new 9mm drop to. If it drops substantially before mine dies, ill just go for it! If they do end up staying high, then ill just run the current 9mm a little harder and push 3.5w. Ill have to just live with the puny 3500mw of dim blue light ;)

Tmack

Ever since I put this one together, I think I've used it every day. I've still not had it even get warm yet, and I've still never seen any color but blue on the voltage monitor. I'm going to run it down just so I can see the different led colors lol.

Thanks jander6442. It's not as complex as yours, but man does it do the trick. I have gone well over 8 minutes waiting for it to get warm. Still feels wrong running it that long even when it's only getting warm :D

Last edited: