Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lpf noob team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why I suggest revamping the entire site design so the search bar would be located at the most prominent place.
2392b3e641eb48c8a55afdf.jpg

For some, lasers and electronics can be difficult to understand. SOME really need help...

'Zactly.

You know why I'm so pro-helping?

Because people helped ME. If it weren't for people answering my questions which were, looking back, retarded, but looked normal to me at the time, I wouldn't be where I was. I'd probably find another thing to occupy my time with.

I won't call it "paying it back". I call it "Seeing proof of a concept, and spreading the concept because I now believe in it".

Help people - they get started and help themselves afterwards.

Do you believe that they will suddenly get the urge to "help themselves" if you tell them to do so? When has anything in the world worked like that?

No I don't believe it will change most ppl, but some need to spend a little time figuring things out before they get your time.

They probably already tried.

"People" are impatient. Would you rather wait a PM reply from somebody before you've tried finding the answer yourself?

Problem lies in not knowing how to find an answer. "You have a search bar at the top/bottom of the page". Great, what do I type in it? Which of a trillion results matters to me and my situation?

Not to mention that the hobby is very rich in acronyms that are confusing as heck.

Also, you apparently worry way too much about mine, and I'd conclude, your own "time". I do not. I value the time I "spend". I can spend them typing out an answer to somebody, or keep scrolling through 9gag and looking at tits.

What do you think makes me feel better about myself?

EDIT - Addition,

One more point about my "time". I'm not suddenly breaking off of my important work to answer somebody. If the things I'm doing are more important than answering somebody, then I'm not scrolling through the forums anyway! You're not suddenly sacrifising a bit of your pay or some material gain to stop scrolling through forums and type out an answer. I am doing that in my free time. It's called like that for a reason. My time is less valuable when spent scrolling and reading and surfing web, and more valuable when I'm helping somebody. How about you?

Last edited:
What your describing there are people with good questions, and they should be helped. I'm not trying to argue with you E, but I really don't appreciate you telling me I worry way to much about time. Although yes I do value it highly.

Just a thought, why not have a Noob thread where they can post their questions and whoever wants to answer them can do, as Euda says, there is a lot of information on here and maybe they don't know what or how to search for what they're looking for

Last edited:
Is this seriously an issue?

I mean the whole n00b thing. Needing a team to handle it?

Follow a basic rule - be nice, or if you can't be nice don't say anything at all.

If you think the question is too stupid, or repetitive, just don't answer. People who want to learn can learn - the tools are there for them.

With regards to spoon feeding, the problem is you begin to feel like YOU'RE the search bar when you answer one very basic question after the next. I'm talking about questions like;

Q: Is 445 blue?
A: Yes, 445nm means the color blue on the visual spectrum, which is measured in nanometers. We're able to really see only between about 390nm and 700nm. Every number in between is a specific visible color. Some colors we see a lot better than others too, for example green of the same power as purple, will appear 10x as bright. See visual spextrum, and perceived brightness on wikipedia.
Q: Oh ok, so like 650 is red?
A: Yes.
Q: and 635?
A: Lighter red/orange.
Q: and 532?
A: Green
Q: and 589
A: yellow
Q: what about 520
A: Just search please.

And this goes through PM after PM... very simple question after very simple question, when just after the first answer the person generally has enough to go on.

I do like the idea of maybe adding a mandatory landing page for new users - first 10 times they log in, before they can go anywhere have a thread come up for them with basic info, and links to threads about the most common issues. Have a counter go off, leaving it for 1 minute.

Just a thought, why not have a Noob thread where they can post their questions and whoever wants to answer them can do, as Euda says, there is a lot of information on here and maybe they don't know what or how to search for what they're looking for

Not a bad idea actually. "Beginner's questions" section?

just a heads up, the mods do take notice of the noobs and their stubborn attitudes. the guy who was giving me a hard time yesterday got a 3 day ban for arguing and trolling. BTW i like the beginner section idea as well

"Teach a man to light a fire, he is warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life."

You know, I think stepping up and helping new LPF members by gently nudging them toward the stickies on forum etiquette, laser safety, and proper use of the search tool should be all members informal duty... since almost all of us needed that in the beginning. Having a "n00b" subsection where the best-of-the-best new member tips and most frequently asked repeat questions would be productive - and the "n00bteam" could work through issues in that subsection. I'm not so sure the spotlight on ignorance is a good way to indoctrinate folks that just don't know any better. I'm all for helping the uninformed with some patience and grace. How about this for an idea - the vets come up with a 20 question quiz or so on laser safety and LPF basics and it's posted in my proposed n00b area. All new members must pass the quiz with a score of at least 70% (or whatever) to be granted forum access to the rest of the forum. This should weed out the spam, lazy passerby, and force people to read the stickies (where the answers would be of course).

Any thoughts?

-c

"Teach a man to light a fire, he is warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life."

dont you mean; light a man a fire, he'll be warm for the night. teach a man to light a fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

EDIT: i also like the idea of a quiz or questionnaire to teach or re-enforce the policies of LPF

Last edited:
I like the idea of having a thread all about noob questions and if there happened to be a noob asking a noob question, a forum member could just easily direct them to the forum and send one of the noob team members the logo and username of the noob so the noob team member could just go to the noob thread and find and help that specific noob.

daguin

I like the idea of having a thread all about noob questions and if there happened to be a noob asking a noob question, a forum member could just easily direct them to the forum and send one of the noob team members the logo and username of the noob so the noob team member could just go to the noob thread and find and help that specific noob.

There are several of these already available and stickied. The only way I know of to cover ALL (sic) of the potential questions is by giving this link

http://laserpointerforums.com/

@ Eud -- You seem to have missed one concept from my post
Asking others to be like you is as worthless as others asking you to be like them.
In the last 12 hours >22K people have hit the forum
Of that number 439 of them were members
There are going to be all kinds of personalities included in those visits
Asking everyone to be similar is not valid

There are nice guys and not so nice guys on the forum
They all should have the opportunity to express themselves within the guidelines of the community
If a member thinks that someone has stepped too far out of line, that member should report the post
Then it is left up to the admin to measure the exchange

Fighting about whether members should be fighting or not; or even about whether they are fighting or not, would seem counter-productive

Let the willing get on the list
Let the others refer NooB's to the list
If the Noob ignores the list, let loose the dogs of war (the moderators ;) )

Peace,
dave

Having just barely gotten off the Junior Member label, I would help anyone I could, if I knew more. But I don't for fear of giving out incorrect info. Most posters on this topic have 100's if not 1000's of posts. I'm guessing some have forgotten how it was to be considered the noob. Or maybe your response to noobs is because of how you were treated when you were one. :dunno. I would think if a question is silly, then don't answer it. We'll get the hint. But telling them to search or here let me google it for you, only makes the place look unfriendly and despite the many members it has now, it will fade away if no new meat comes around.

$0.02

I was a noob 2 weeks ago but in a way not really. I had searched the forums for a couple years and done my research so by the time I finally became a member I was prepared for the atmosphere here at LPF. I made sure I never was in the true "noob" position. But, there are others who are impatient and stubborn and won't research the forums despite being told. It are these people that need the noob team. The noob team wouldn't be for new polite members that listen to our advice and actually are interested in becoming part of the community. The noob team is for the stubborn ones that Livinloud had to unfortunately deal with. So, if a new member is being polite and respectful, the members will naturally give them a friendly welcome and guide them through their problem

Status
Not open for further replies.