Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF Game Server - Source games

How would you play?

• I'd not play at all.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I'd occasionally play.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I'd regularly play.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • My play time depends on holidays and weekends.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I'd not donate.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I'd casually donate $5 every so often.

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I'd casually donate $10 or so every so often.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I'd regularly donate $5 (monthly)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I'd regularly donate $10 (monthly)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
60 ms Average. Great! The only game I play on my pc on steam is Killing Floor though. Don't have l4d purchased.

@Silvershot, can you try the others I listed above in post #29 please? It'll help find the best host for everyone. Killing Floor will be one of the games I suggest if we go ahead with this.

@Lumify, if Google's ping is that high then it's your connection and not the choice of server. Perhaps find a quiet period without siblings using or downloading to try it.

Microsoft, MSN and LPF, and some other sites don't respond to ping requests for security reasons (some viruses will quickly ping a machine before probing it for weaknesses - if it doesn't respond to a ping then a virus might see it as offline and avoid probing it), I initially suggested microsoft as a test, before checking if they responded or not. No need to worry about the ping timing out.

Last edited:
All are average times.

webfusion.co.uk 99ms
bluesquaredata.com 90ms
globalswitch.com 105ms
cheapvps.co.uk 51ms
fsckvps.com 50ms
pingvps.com 102ms
google 17ms

I got between 135, and 145ms for all the websites except for fsckvps which I got 33ms for.

I'd love to play on an LPF server, but with these pings, it might be a bit hard. I've played with excessive ping before and while it is doable, it's not the best experience lol.

Site====================Avg.Ping
webfusion.co.uk----------------372ms
bluesquaredata.com------------326ms
globalswitch.com---------------371ms
cheapvps.co.uk----------------276ms
fsckvps.com-------------------229ms
pingvps.com-------------------409ms

Oh god, and I thought mine were bad.

I like the idea of a LPF TF2 server (or clan/group if we get enough people). I'm an avid TF2 player myself.

Perhaps if the server was hosted somewhere else, in the US, it would life easier for us on that little island in the middle of nowhere. But then again, it'd upset the people with Europe.

300 ping is certainly playable for TF2, and perhaps even *gasp* Counter-Strike, but it's certainly not pleasant for classes where you *need* the response time (Spy, Sniper).

It's unlikely a server will be able to cater to most of the world while still retaining a decent response time.
Perhaps us Aussies will have to make our own server :eg:

@Goninanbl00d: What's your steamID?

Steam ID is goninan_bl00d with two zeros. I don't have access to a good computer or to a TF2[sic].

Also- we could have a US/Europe server and a seperate Australia/NZ server. I don't know whether it'd be feasible to have a seperate server for Australia/Asia, but we'd have to see, because it's no fun running a server for 3 people.

Last edited:
Steam ID: silverakaaero, add :)

webfusion.co.uk - 67 ms
bluesquaredata.com - 61 ms
globalswitch.com - 73 ms
cheapvps.co.uk - 169 ms
fsckvps.com - 170 ms
pingvps.com - 66 ms

@ Charlie. I too have bad ping with cheapvps.co.uk and fsckvps.com.

Lane

Hey all,
As it is currently about 50/50 EU/US I thought I would start a TF2 US server and ventrillo server. Anyone can play, but if you live in the EU you will lag a little bit. There is no way to have a server that caters to everyone like Byrnz93 said. So I decided to take the first step. Come out and play the information is here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/tf2-server-active-53059.html#post742235
Thanks for looking,
Lane

Last edited:
well killing floor is fine upto 200ms, could be a good fit for everyone. you arent playing against other players so no1 is at a deficit in terms of reaction times. the zombies move fairly slowly (mostly) and most importantly quite predictably so theres no major aiming problems that may be caused by ping.

@Link, Dallas sounds like a good choice - I think that's where Fsckvps was located, which seemed to be the lowest ping for most of us. I'm away from my gaming machine currently, but if it's fully playable from over here then that all sounds good. If EU members find it to be too laggy, then I can open up a second machine in Blue Square datacenter - that seemed to be the lowest ping time for most people over here. It would be a bit of a shame if we couldn't all play side-by-side (I'm hoping that 150ms is playable) but timezone differences may limit us anyway. I'll let you know when I get back, but in the meantime we can see what other EU members say.

@Fonduman, I haven't played it but I'll buy a copy and we can give it a try sometime.

everyone would want to use the semi auto rifle lol. it has a laser sight :D nifty laser sight system too, everyone else can see it as well, along with beam (must be a few hundred mW :crackup:)

I'd pitch in. i mostly play TF2, but I have CS as well.
My steam ID is blAhz.
Ping to bluesquaredata.com is 120ms. Anything below 200ms is usually playable.

cmak

Man that sucks, I just got out of CS:S earlier this year...

I had (and still have it preserved) my own server of great fame, immeasurable skills that I was very famous for, my own clan and later my own team (which kicked severe ass), and I even made my own maps (none of which became exceptionally famous, but they were so good that most became "cult classics", if you will).

I do have my epic and beloved server preserved (and as I just realized the other day, the website still happens to be up after all this time that the server's been down :p) and I am planning on reviving it sometime under new ownership. If/when that does happen, you are all more than welcome and will see to it that you all have special privileges for being LPF-ers. ;)

You guys better have some of my maps on your CSS server :evil:

EDIT: 600th Post :wave::wave:
-Chris

Last edited: