Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for a Laser Pointer with a THICK beam (If they actually exist...)

Lant

Hey, I need a laserpointer for my hobby (astronomy). While watching videos on youtube I noticed that some pointers seem to have "thicker" or "broader" beams than others. Sometimes they are also brighter, but not necessarily so. (Might be an illusion, I know cameras often pick up laserpointers differently than the human eye).

Im now looking for such pointer with a noticable thick beam (again, if such a thing actually exists). Any color, price up to 250$. Its ok if the intensity or brightness isn't that strong, but of course Im also ok with an overall rather powerful pointer.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

how wide of a beam do you need? the first thing I think of is this:

High Power 100mW Green laser wand /Wide beam/focuasable [OL-OWDG-100] - $81.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

It's basically a 100mW 532 with a permanent beam expander. beam expanders will give a wide beam near aperture, but the big bonus is the increased divergence, the dot will be much smaller at a far enough distance than it would otherwise be, drastically lengthening it's range

have you considered making a welcome thread, maybe adding general location to your profile? do you know about the dangers and safety, all that good stuff? the unit i linked to is not eye safe, and probably also emits IR light in addition to the 532

Last edited:
Want to post a video that you are referring to? Im assuming a 445nm would work. My old 532nm had a very thin beam, almost like a thread but 445nm are multimode so they have a wider beam

ru124t

yes that is exactly what I want! Ooey gooey green goodness ! Makes me drool everytime I see it!

Lant

Want to post a video that you are referring to? Im assuming a 445nm would work. My old 532nm had a very thin beam, almost like a thread but 445nm are multimode so they have a wider beam

Blue Lasers vs. Green Lasers: Which are Better? - YouTube

Here, the blue laserpointer seems to have a much thicker / wider beam. Thats pretty much what I want, but it seems to be a custom-build one.

I think he wants a wide beam not a thick beam, something like this>
[/URL]

Exactly. Sorry im not sure about the correct lingo.

Teej

About an hour or so ago, I was outside pointing at stars in constellations with a 445 nm 3 watt laser...and, a comment was made that it was VERY EASY to see which star I meant out of a group, because "it looked like the beam was HITTING the stars".

That comment made my day (night?).

:D

The one I used was in an MS ENVY host...so it has a LOT of run time for its size (Less than 6" long).

The only disadvantage to using a 445 (particularly of that power) is you're going to decrease your adapted night vision every time you turn it on.

DrSid

It's rather unclear what you need the laser for, and why you need thick beam.

Teej

It's rather unclear what you need the laser for, and why you need thick beam.

The OP mentions astronomy, to point out stars, etc.

The think beam MIGHT be an artifact of the exposure in TV pictures, or, from a wider beam as pointed out above.

The beam will typically be more pronounced in locations with more stuff in the air, as the air-glow around the beam gives it that "Light Sabre" effect...and less visible in more clear locations.

The thicker/wider beams are more easily observed by those you might be pointing thing out TO, such as students, as it is simply a more pronounced pointing device. If shined onto an object, the glare will definitely kill night vision. If shined up at a star, too much air-glow will also degrade night vision...but my a lesser amount.

So, what works best is a combination of factors that include the attention span of the ones the pointer is pointing for, how far the observers are from the guy with the pointer, how clear or hazy the air is, and the magnitude of the targets being pointed at and the light gathering required to resolve them, etc.

Last edited:
without googles yes?

yes. Blue and green destroys your night vision. I was using my 445 and 532 recently under dark skies, and the 445 beam was enough to almost totally undo my night adapted vision. Not only that but if there's any mist or humidity in the air the beam sort of has a coma around it that exacerbates the effect.

reds won't upset your night vision, this is why astronomers use red lights to read their notes or charts.

You could just go with a beam expander and be able to use it on different units as you wish... but since Flaminpyro offered to sell you the one you said you liked, I'd go for that... buy from him. He's good people.

/c

ps. btw, there are a lot of threads on the forum that show examples of beam expanders... I don't have any outdoor shots, but here is a thread where I posted a 532nm through a rather large expander

Last edited:
So basically, you want the complete opposite of my 70mW green that I have :p

2aKfCLE.jpg