Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

looking for a 6x sled closed Scopeguy found me som

daguin

Re: looking for a 6x sled

FireMyLaser said:
I also really missed out on the 6X's. :( :mad:

One of the scarier possibilities is that the factory has switched over to making 8X sleds now so there won't be any more QC reject 6X's.  If that is the case, how long will it be before the 8X QC rejects make it to us?

How long was it between the first 6X burners hitting the market and the sled becoming available?

Treat your 6X laser very nicely until we know.  They may NEVER be plentiful.

Peace,
dave

daguin

T_Warne said:
So... is this currently our best bet for getting our hands on a 6x diode?
http://www.google.com/products/cata...&cid=13228453471086887210&sa=title#ps-sellers

is there any difference (as far as diode desirability ) between the LG and Buffalo?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=6x+blu&oe=utf-8&cid=8111551328306508357&sa=title#ps-sellers

If these are our choices, wouldn't an 8x in the same price range be a better buy?

The GGC H20L is a BD READER.  It writes DVD's at 8X

No one has bought and torn apart a Buffalo yet.  What is inside is only speculation at this point.  Buy one, tear it apart, and report back :) Also be careful. i believe that the Buffalo also had a 6X BD writer

I bought the Pioneer.  Your turn now ;)

Peace,
dave

Had I known the 6x's were going to dry up I would have bought two, or more :(

--John

daguin

wolfblue said:
Had I known the 6x's were going to dry up I would have bought two, or more   :(

--John

Too new to remember the Toshiba drives drying up overnight, eh?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
Too new to remember the Toshiba drives drying up overnight, eh?

uh, Toshiba? Yeah just started about two months ago. If you don't count the ten years doing this before the three years not doing this.
My first diode was a 670nm 5mW. About $100 bare diode and 30 for the brass. And the night I got it working was a rare heavy fog. WOW. The last I heard the 405's were hundreds $$ for a few mW. Until this got my attention on eBay.....150mW......so I'm back. I came to LPF looking for the E and the I. Many thanks to all for that information.

--John

P.S. eBay turned out to be 80mW, a PHR. But still a very cool (and dangerous ) toy.

daguin

wolfblue said:
[quote author=daguin link=1236923606/16#20 date=1236983530] Too new to remember the Toshiba drives drying up overnight, eh?

uh, Toshiba?  Yeah just started about two months ago. [/quote]

Yeah.  We were all having a great time buying up these Toshiba HD DVD drives to harvest the PHR's out of them.  We were buying from half a dozen different "stores."  One night EVERYBODY ran out of them at the same time.  It seems that they were all buying from the same "jobber" who had only saved a couple of pallets from the scrap heap.  When he ran out, so did everybody else.  They were just drop shipping from him.

It is pretty obvious now that all of the "suppliers" were getting their 6X's from the same source.  That's why they all ran out at once.  Only the gods can tell if that source will pony up again.

Peace,
dave

We can hope. Just glad I did get one. Maybe at 175mA it will last until the next thing. 8x or 12x or more 6x diodes.

--John

wolfblue said:
We can hope. Just glad I did get one. Maybe at 175mA it will last until the next thing. 8x or 12x or more 6x diodes.

--John
It will love you forever at 175mA!
People run them at 190mA and they last a doggone long time!

Don't count on 12x's coming out any time soon, though.

It should last at 175mA, no problem.

Really, I just want one thing right now from violet:  I want 1/4 watt of violet in a leadlight.  Really, that's all I want right now from these, a matching set of 1/4 watt violet and 1/4 watt red, 250mW of each, in leadlights.  Is that really too much to ask?

With IgorT's lenses coming and their boost in transmission, I though I had it when amk's 1st 6x groupbuy came out.  I got in early, got a sled, thought I was set to just wait for lenses, and then they ended up being 4x sleds.  Great.  So then no money for a real 6x while those were available.  Maybe a 4x, with the great AR lenses, will get to 250mW without dying too quickly, maybe not. I'll just have to see I guess.

Still waiting on IgorT's lenses, but last week jake posts that he's getting some 6x sleds.  Awesome, I have money right now, this is my chance, so I pay.  But wait, his supplier is out, may have some in a week, but maybe not.  Wonderful.  

I have had leadlights for months now, I have batteries, I have drlava drivers, I have everything I need, but these 6x sleds just keep evading me.  

Is it really so much to ask for?

I have been searching too, for pretty much all the time I've been on the forums - but I remember the 4 separate GBs failing and saw that nobody was trying to get them cheaply any more, so I contacted some suppliers myself. I had a small group of people interested, but then my supplier says that he is checking his stock, and it turns out he has none after all... Can anyone provide the area their suppliers are located in, or trace the addresses back to the original shipper, provided it is a drop-shipping scheme and not being sent from your reseller?

Just a curiosity, but has anyone tried to contact the drive manufacturers directly, and asked them to add an extra trayful of diodes next time they buy in stock of diodes? That way they can sell to us, and make some extra profit for themselves too. I doubt they would be able to do this, but its always worth a try, and if supplies are drying up otherwhise, it may well be that or harvesting the completed drives...

Another alternative is us going directly to diode manufacturers, for instance Nichia, with a "pool" of all of our money and buying a very large amount of high-powered diodes, in the name of the largest company represented on here. This person could then re-sell them and pay off the initial investors. Problem here is the quantities Nichia would need orders in, isn't the standard quantity 1000? Or, we could try to get a small buy going for their "Engineering sample" diodes, rated up to over 600mA to give over 450mW! Whilst expensive, these would make very impressive scanner modules...

Perhaps it really is too much to ask for after all? After all, I don't see any of the above happening in reality, it looks like the 6X sleds have dried up, and the stocks of PHRs can't be infinite... We need to consider all the options, since I can't live forever without 400mW of violet, but I can't afford $210 either! ;D

Here's my latest intel on the 6x status

"They don't have 6x for a while, (was told by another supplier that LG company didn't allow selling of the sled, that whatever was done was under the table) 8x will have to wait maybe 6 month later."

and

"yes, we have PHR-803T,LPC-815,GBW-H10N In stock right now, and GGW-H20L was out of stock for a while. "

-Kendall

Was that from XH? (And you said "was" out of stock for a while, is that a typo on their part?!)

Hey everyone, new news! My supplier has contacted me saying that he has a new sled in stock which they claim to have tesdted to higher powers than the GGWs. they refer to it as a SF-AW210, which I believe is a new sled. Pics are up on my site - http://charlie.cheesebase.co.uk. It is def. a manufacturing reject - there are dents and scratches on them, and it has parts missing from it (no alignment lens or coil, according to their pics). I:'ve mailed back for more info.

daguin

charlie bruce said:
Hey everyone, new news! My supplier has contacted me saying that he has a new sled in stock which they claim to have tesdted to higher powers than the GGWs. they refer to it as a SF-AW210, which I believe is a new sled. Pics are up on my site - http://charlie.cheesebase.co.uk. It is def. a manufacturing reject - there are dents and scratches on them, and it has parts missing from it (no alignment lens or coil, according to their pics). I:'ve mailed back for more info.

The picture isn't up on the website yet. However, at least two other members are already getting samples of this sled.

Trust me -- they haven't "tested" anything themselves.

Peace,
dave

They are now ;) - I did a search but didn't find any info about these sleds. Can you send a link? Also, can people not send hundreds of enquiries about these to them, or they will push up the value to ridiculous amounts... Makes more sense to go for one GB, that way demand is perceived as lower..