Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

List all known UV fluorescent material

I'll start of with some easy ones........
1. Urine
2. Tonic water
3. Highlighter ink
4. GITD paint
5. White cotton fabric
6. Rubies

Your turn.......

Last edited:

1. Glass mirror. (faint reddish streak)

2. Leaves on a tree. (very faint)

3. My lava lamp

That's all that comes to mind atm.

I'll start of with some easy ones........
1. Urine
2. Tonic water
3. Highlighter ink
4. GITD paint
5. White cotton fabric
6. Rubies

Your turn.......

One slight correction here: it's likely not your white cotton fabric itself that actually fluoresces, it's likely your laundry detergent doing it instead. Many laundry detergents (Tide in particular, IIRC) contain UV brighteners, to try to give your clothes that "whiter than white" look. They literally make your clothes glow in the sun, to make them look brighter and less dingy.

Although it is very possible for them to add the same brightening chemicals while dying the sheets the first time around, most of the effect I've ever noticed increases with certain detergents.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

old TV screen
many stones
paper

update the list!

My marble windowsill as well as the marble dresser top in the hallway, this one glows a very rich red and is quite freaky.

Olive oil (depending on the purity it can glow from red to bright orange)
Wood (faint red)
Peanuts ?
Guiness world record 2008
LEDs (not me who found this)
etc

There is not much things I can think of. Also there is fluorescent paint you can find on any promotional stickers or whatever...

HIMNL9

Fluoresceine (ofcourse :p)
Stilbene
Petroleum
Some diamonds, amber, emeralds and ruby (both aluminium oxydes), calcite, uranium, willemite, wolframite, fluorite, albite, dolomite, barite, chromite, and so much other minerals that i literally can't remember them (also, a good half of the fluorescent minerals, are fluorescent only at low temperature, where instead at normal temp, no fluorescence at all ..... strange)
Chlorophyll, too :p

I don't know if a complete list exists, somewhere (maybe, some university students can ask their chemistry professors, about the existence of a similar list :D)

daguin

Just defocus your violet and run around shining it on stuff! ;)

Fluorescent_minerals_sm.jpg

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

@ daguin: now, your collection of fluorescent minerals, is starting to make me feel really envious ..... be careful, or i steal all them from you (j/k :D)

ohada

Just defocus your violet and run around shining it on stuff! ;)

Peace,
dave

Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't this photo made with short-wave UV?
I have lots of those minerals, and most of them don't react to long-wave UV / BluRay.

I wish I had a short-wave UV laser (instead of just a lamp).....

Beautiful collection BTW.

I hope to post some photos of mine soon, not just minerals, I also have some gems and powders that fluoresce very nicely, some of them are also phosphorescent and keep on glowing after the UV light source is gone.

D

Deleted member 8382

Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't this photo made with short-wave UV?
I have lots of those minerals, and most of them don't react to long-wave UV / BluRay.

I wish I had a short-wave UV laser (instead of just a lamp).....

Beautiful collection BTW.

I hope to post some photos of mine soon, not just minerals, I also have some gems and powders that fluoresce very nicely, some of them are also phosphorescent and keep on glowing after the UV light source is gone.
I think this photo was made using a UV light, not one of these UV leds, I mean the UV tubes used in discos etc..