Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lighting matches with focused to infiinity 8x?

Eku

Do 8x's light matches with a "focused to infinity" (pointer focus) 8x at 290ma if not would
two 8x's combined light a match?

Last edited:

Do 8x's light matches with a "focused to infinity" (pointer focus) 8x at 290ma if not would

Dude you have been doing good, don't start spamming the forum with the stupid questions again.

Eku

???
There's no info on if a 8x can light a match with pointer focus.

Eku

Looked through every page mate found nonthing about pointer focusing with burning.

All I found was un-interesting talking and also jokes about nutella while my internet glitches up.

Last edited:

Hey Eku....

since you can't find any 8X info on your question... Perhaps you could
buy or build an 8X 405nm Laser and do the tests for us..:yh:

That would really be helpful as a contributing member on LPF...
I'm sure other members would like to know the answer to your
question as well...:cool:

Jerry

i'm just going to take a wild guess and say it will light a match, assuming your using a 405-g-1 lens.

sure half a watt can light a match....even at infinity

guys he never specified 8x Blu- Ray. I think he might be asking about 8x Reds- from a dvd burner..

but then again, IDK much about 8x reds myself, or if they can take 290mA.

Or, you could do the maths, and work it out:

Say 50mW of blu can light a match where the focused point is 1mm2 = 50mW/mm2
An unfocused spot is about 10mm2 = 500mw/10mm2 = 50mW/mm2

Of course these numbers are hypothetical, and presume that match-lighting is a function of power density on the head only, wavelength and absorption are the same, and the beam is equally still for each burn.

EDIT: POST 405!

Last edited:
Looked through every page mate found nonthing about pointer focusing with burning.

All I found was un-interesting talking and also jokes about nutella while my internet glitches up.

Ian its questions like this that got you banned numerous times. People are going to great expense to do proper tests for the benefit of us all. The whole forum is concerned with power settings, longevity, beam characteristics, ect. At $200+ a pop, the last thing people are concerned with is if it can light a freaking match. You are insulting peoples intelligence and hard work. On top of it all the question is in the wrong area. Use your freaking brain, learn from your mistakes, and wake up or your a$$ is going to get bounced out of here again.

Last edited:
EKU ----

As you have likely read, the 8x BLU is a BURNER. Most of us here have risen above parlor tricks of POP and LIGHT. That is child's play anymore with the new LD's and optics.
Focusing any laser for a match light at distance requires a stable mounting for the laser and careful focus adjustment just like any laser. Hey guy -- give your 8x a try at say 40 feet and tell us about it.

Mike

I hate to admit, I've popped a balloon at 35 feet with one of my BLU's. Don't tell anyone :)

The OP said nothing about distance. He (or she) asked if an 8x can light a match focused at infinity. I set my 8x on the table and the "dot" focused over 40 feet away. I then placed a wood red-tipped match 6 inches in front of the 8x and it instantly burst into flames. No focus was needed AT ALL.