Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Light saber...proof of concept

The idea has been buzzing around in my head for some time that I wanted to make a light saber using lasers.
I also wanted it to have an adjustable length blade that fully retracts.

I have now built a proof of concept model using 3 5mw greenies, I took a movie of it with a bit of smoke tonight, I had too many things to hold to be able the change blade length whilst filming so I have spliced a few clips together, I was holding the camera with one hand whilst holding wires to a battery for the lasers so it is a bit shakey.

Regards rog8811

EDIT I have changed the movie after changing a bounce mirror and doing a bit of wiring, this one shows the blade closing...

Attachments

• RMOV0032_NEW.wmv
    1.1 MB · Views: 382
  • TLbeamout01.jpg
    TLbeamout01.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6,864
Last edited:

Asherz

Looks so cool, can't wait for the finished product. Nice work as always Rog.

D

Deleted member 8382

You rog never stop to astonish me with the things you make. But can you explain us what does this consist in? :D

I'm assuming there's a rotating mirror on top, is there?
Cool stuff, can't wait for the pics!

you know if rog has kids ,they tell tales of these master creations and trip out thier friends lol

Wow.. Not sure what's going on (Not sure whether I'm supposed to know), but this sure seems like one intense creation. Good work!

I have been toying with this idea also. I was thinking of using a power car antenna to raise and lower the blade cap. If you painted the antenna flat black I don't think you would even see it. This way you would get the allusion of the blade extending and retracting without seeing how its done. Nice work BTW.

power car antenna to raise and lower the blade cap

That was one of the options I considered but the motor assembly is enormous....so I have used one of these...:whistle:
The orange bit at the back is a power driven tape measure.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• subassembly01.jpg
    subassembly01.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
DP....Here it is in the cold light of day, as I say this is proof of concept, there is a lot to do to make this look like, what will end up being, a steampunk saber.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• Blade drive01.wmv
    3.3 MB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Will the rod be sectional? There are quite a few machinists on the forum now, I'm sure you will not have a problem getting pieces made.

Will the rod be sectional?

I am not sure what you are saying TJ, what you see there is the whole mechanical bit, the blade goes up and retracts fully.

General assembly of the finished build....ish;)

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• side handle lightsaber01.jpg
    side handle lightsaber01.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 555
Sorry, I cant see how the rod retracked in the video. I didn't know if it was a solid rod or not.