Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lenses Available at Stonetek.org - Comparison...

jayrob

Greg asked me to do some power comparisons on three lenses that he has (and/or will have) available at his store:
StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

All three of the lenses are AixiZ lenses...

1. The AixiZ acrylic lens. (the back was cut opened for these power comparisons)

2. The AixiZ glass lens.

3. The AixiZ 405 glass lens.

I also added to the comparisons, my 405-G-1 glass lens modification for the blu-ray comparison. And my new 650-G-1 glass lens modification 'fit for AixiZ' for the red comparison.

Stonetek%20lens%201.jpg

Plastic%20cut%20away.jpg

Note: I have noticed that the newer AixiZ acrylic lenses already have the back opened...

'New' AixiZ acrylic 'un-opened' vs AixiZ acrylic with 'back opened':

I compared the difference in power for a 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened back), against an AixiZ acrylic lens with the 'back opened'...

Power comparisons with red, as well as blu-ray:

Long open can red at 431mA's: (5% difference)

* 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened) - 240mW's

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 252mW's

PHR at 125mA's: (5% difference)

* 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened) - 101mW's

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 106mW's

5% is a considerable difference! This is why it should be noted whether or not the AixiZ acrylic lens has the back opened or not when making lens/power comparisons.

Power Measurements:

The two lasers used are an LPC-815 red build set at 431mA's, and a PHR-803T blu-ray build set at 125mA's...
(both using FlexDrives with a single 14500 supply)

Stonetek%20lens%202.jpg

Meter used - My Coherent PowerMax 5200 with PM3 thermal head.

Here are the comparison numbers:

LPC red at 431mA's:

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 250mW's
* AixiZ glass - 257mW's (3% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened)
* AixiZ 405 glass - 237mW's (obviously not good for red)
* Meredith glass lens mod fit for AixiZ - 301mW's (note: no longer available)
* 650-G-1 glass lens mod (fit for AixiZ) - 301mW's (20% increase for red vs AixiZ acrylic - back opened) See here!

PHR blu-ray at 125mA's:

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 122mW's
* AixiZ glass - 111mW's (obviously not good for blu-ray)
* AixiZ 405 glass - 128mW's (5% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened - nice round dot)
* 405-G-1 glass lens mod - 153mW's (26% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened)

The AixiZ lenses still continue to be the 'best bang for the buck'. And although their new 405 glass lens does not increase the blu-ray power by a whole lot, it does give an increase in power. And the dot is nice and round.

There is a new lens in the neighborhood...

I made this thread just so there would not be any confusion with another lens being available. These are my honest findings with the power comparisons. (as everything else I share) I have two of these that I bought. They are the same price. I would gladly sell them at a couple of dollars less to anyone who also wanted to do some comparison testing! :)

It is the exact same optical design as the 405-G-1, but it is just from a different supplier, and has a slightly different AR coating. Same focal length, same side splash, same specs exactly...

Will (lasers4u) is calling it the 405-G-2 only because of the slightly different AR coating.

He was my supplier for the 405-G-1 bare optics, and I can get these new lenses from him as well.

But I went ahead and got my latest supply of the 405-G-1 lenses direct from the manufacture because I wanted to stick with what I have had all along.

However, the new 405-G-2 is basically the same output for blu-ray. (very close)

Same pricing on the 405-G-2 as well...

405-G-2.jpg

New Lens Testing:

I did testing with three different lasers... (two different power blu-ray's, and a red)

GGW 6X @ 188mA's:

* 405-G-1: 234mW's
* 405-G-2: 231mW's

BDR-205 12X @ 350mA's:

* 405-G-1: 480mW's
* 405-G-2: 478mW's

LOC red @ 431mA's

* 405-G-1: 292mW's
* 405-G-2: 279mW's
* 650-G-1: 305mW's

So although it is not as good for red, it is pretty much the same for blu-ray. (within a couple of mW's)

For red, my 650-G-1 is about 5% better than the 405-G-1...

Last edited:

Looks like yours is the best Jay. But I've already been convinced of that with all of the posts I have read about them

Hey Jay..

nice Review of the lenses... it is always good to reaffirm all
the lens findings...:cool:

Jerry

Nice review Jay, however, I'm still sold on your 405-G & Larry's HI-POWER Lenses....rob

Jay - excellent work, as always ! Thanks for doing this for me - confirmation in the first post of what some have known for quite a while, explaining the differences between the lenses, and fantastic pictures of everything, are an excellent guide to what's what ! This is a perfect link to send folks to so they can easily spot the best lens for what they want/need.

*Greg

jayrob

Thanks guys...

Happy to do it Greg! :)

And although my two modifications are the most power, they are expensive.

We have to remind ourselves of just how consistent the AixiZ lenses have been for us!

And of course, we can't wait for Igor's 'medium' lens to be in the mix...

daguin

Do you have a "Virtual Village" lens around to compare for the red?

I just may have to get the Merideth Mod from you for my personal red.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Yes, I do have the AR coated acrylic lenses from Virtual Village...

They give a 10% increase for red vs AixiZ acrylic. (back opened)

The Meredith glass lens gives a 20% increase in the same comparison. But are no longer available. Meredith has gone to their broadband lens.

However, my new 650-G-1 glass lens mod will give the same power increase and beam profile for red, as the now discontinued Meredith 'optimized for red' glass lenses.

More about my 650-G-1 glass lens fit for AixiZ modification:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...modification-fit-aixiz-25-increase-46332.html

I show the Virtual Village lens, as well as my new 650-G-1 glass lens in my other lens power comparison thread shown here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/power-comparisons-different-lenses-red-blu-ray-33965.html

Last edited:
I really liked the way your lens way out classed the competition

jayrob

I really liked the way your lens way out classed the competition

Out powered....

But remember that the AixiZ lenses are so inexpensive! No wonder there are probably hundreds of thousands of lasers build with the AixiZ module!

FML, I never really got into measuring beam diameter. I don't have any special equipment for that. I could just measure the dot near the aperture. But I know for sue that this would drastically change depending on focus.

The AixiZ lenses are cheap enough for you to buy and test...

And there has been much discussion about beam profile and stuff in my lens thread:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-405-g-1-glass-lens-mod-28-increase-vs-aixiz-22497.html

Last edited:
I'm surprised how little you seem to care about beam diameter at aperture. It has a huge impact on how well it works in the white fusion kit, just to name one reason...

jayrob

I'm surprised how little you seem to care about beam diameter at aperture. It has a huge impact on how well it works in the white fusion kit, just to name one reason...

Well, I didn't mean for it to sound like I don't care about beam diameter at aperture...

It's just that the only way I have to measure beam diameter at aperture, is by measuring the dot, and that method is going to depend on how the focus is set.

In other words, I don't consider myself qualified to satisfy your request to measure beam diameter with complete accuracy.

Tell you what I will do though, if you agree to test and document beam diameter and profile, and post it here with pictures, I'll send you the three AixiZ lenses that Greg sent me, and you can keep them. How's that?

As far as The White Fusion kit, I believe my full length beam shots in the night sky speak for themselves. If you haven't seem them, take a look! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/b...ng-adjustable-sled-mount-heatsinks-41942.html

Last edited:
You'd really do that? :eek: I'd be more than happy to document them! Though I do not have a power meter... :undecided:
I have a violet (phr and ps3) and red pointer (dilda), and 780mn NIR (LPC) laser to test with.

jayrob

The power has already been compared and shown in the first post... :rolleyes:

But you can do some beam diameter comparisons! :)

PM me your address, and I'll send the AixiZ lenses.

Do you even need the AixiZ acrylic? I would imagine you have plenty of those. So I will send the AixiZ glass lens, and the new AixiZ 405 glass lens...

Last edited: