Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lenses Available at Stonetek.org - Comparison...

jayrob

*frustrated* the beam isn't focused on any particular distance, the dot is set to the smallest diameter I could get 7.5 meters away, if I then choose to point it 100 meters away it will still have the same focus, but the dot will be much larger, but only because of it's divergence. That is what you'd call "focus it to infinity". A green laser comes focused to infinity right out of the box with it's x divergence.

I'm not so good at explaining it.

That's a perfect explanation of what I was asking! :thanks:

Basically, you focus to the best dot at about 30' (7.5 meters), same as what I mentioned above for a good focal point for general pointing... :)

Thanks for all the information and measurements! :gj:

Last edited:

Thank you too! From the measurements it is pretty clear that none of the new lenses will work well in the White Fusion kit. The maximum beam diameter is 3mm, so that is why I will use the PHR/LPC reading lenses to get the most from the diodes. Tho I don't know how efficient they are, the LPC lens is slight blue tinted which suggest that it is AR coated. I can see a very faint pink tint on the PHR lens too.

jayrob

Thank you too! From the measurements it is pretty clear that none of the new lenses will work well in the White Fusion kit. The maximum beam diameter is 3mm, so that is why I will use the PHR/LPC reading lenses to get the most from the diodes. Tho I don't know how efficient they are, the LPC lens is slight blue tinted which suggest that it is AR coated. I can see a very faint pink tint on the PHR lens too.

Hmmm... well, that will be interesting how that works out. Does the PHR reading lens collimate the beam with not a lot of extra side reflections?

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, it makes a weird ring-interference pattern around the dot, and spread out quite far unless there is an aperture to stop it. Same for the LPC lens.

But I rather have that than the massive waste from a wide 5mm beam.

jayrob

From the measurements it is pretty clear that none of the new lenses will work well in the White Fusion kit.

I guess we have to define 'work well'...

I found that using my 405-G-1 glass lens on the GGW 6X blu-ray, and using an AR coated acrylic lens on the LPC red diode gave very good results! :)

I think that it 'worked well'.

Here's a Turquoise (blu-ray and green combined) beam shot: (full length beam shot in the night sky) This is using my 405-G-1 glass lens mod for the GGW 6X diode through the stock PHR optics. (PBS cube and turning mirror)

However, in this build, I focused for best visual dot at 75'...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/b...ng-adjustable-sled-mount-heatsinks-41942.html
7%20beams9.jpg

Last edited:
What is the beam diameter at aperture focused to infinity on the 405-G-1 glass lens?

jayrob

Ok...

I focused my Key Chain CR2 build, which has a GGW 6X diode and a 405-G-1 glass lens, to the best visual dot at 75'. Just like I have it focused in my White Fusion build.

The dot is too bright to capture on film with my photographic ability. Plus it burns what ever paper I use quickly.

But I have a drawing of exactly what I see with eye protection. Dot at 6" from the aperture: (2mm X 5mm dot with a really bright central point)

Glass%20405nm28.jpg

Glass%20405nm29.jpg

The top picture is just a drawing of what I see with eye protection.

The bottom picture is a picture of the burn spot after about 10 seconds.

Again, the focus is for best visual dot at 75'...

Last edited:
Put a flat-black metallic surface for the dot to crash into, then put a pair of laser goggles in front of the camera and take a picture. Then put on the goggles to take a measurement yourself.

75' isn't quite good enough, the further away you try to focus the better. (but measure the dot at aperture of course)

But it looks like the dot is much smaller than an aixiz can make it, so no wonder why it worked 'well' :)

mfo

Greg asked me to do some power comparisons on three lenses that he has (and/or will have) available at his store:
StoneTek Electronics, Your Laser Parts Store

All three of the lenses are AixiZ lenses...

1. The AixiZ acrylic lens. (the back was cut opened for these power comparisons)

2. The AixiZ glass lens.

3. The AixiZ 405 glass lens.

I also added to the comparisons, my 405-G-1 glass lens modification for the blu-ray comparison. And my Meredith glass lens modification 'fit for AixiZ' for the red comparison.

Stonetek%20lens%201.jpg

Plastic%20cut%20away.jpg

The two lasers used are an LPC-815 red build set at 431mA's, and a PHR-803T blu-ray build set at 125mA's...
(both using FlexDrives with a single 14500 supply)

Stonetek%20lens%202.jpg

Meter used - My Coherent PowerMax 5200 with PM3 thermal head.

Here are the comparison numbers:

LPC red at 431mA's:

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 250mW's
* AixiZ glass - 257mW's (3% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened)
* AixiZ 405 glass - 237mW's (obviously not good for red)
* Meredith glass lens mod fit for AixiZ - 301mW's (20% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened)

PHR blu-ray at 125mA's:

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 122mW's
* AixiZ glass - 111mW's (obviously not good for blu-ray)
* AixiZ 405 glass - 128mW's (5% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened - nice round dot)
* 405-G-1 glass lens mod - 153mW's (26% increase over AixiZ acrylic with back opened)

The AixiZ lenses still continue to be the 'best bang for the buck'. And although their new 405 glass lens does not increase the blu-ray power by a whole lot, it does give an increase in power. And the dot is nice and round.

Thanks for that Jay! I was considering buying a glass lens for my LPC...

Edit: The backs are already opened for the Aixiz Glass Lens?

Last edited:

jayrob

Yes, the back is open on:

AixiZ glass
AixiZ 405 glass
AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village
And my lens modifications for Meredith glass and the 405-G-1

The AixiZ acrylic is the one that needs the back opened... (but the newer ones from AixiZ have the back opened already)

Last edited:
Great review Jay, I love the 405-G-1 for my BR, can't wait to get an 8X, I will be a burning happy guy. The cost was higher then the other stuff out on the market but well worth it when I got it and tested it. Like the old saying goes "You buy S*#T, You get S*#T. Dont ever stop making them.
Cheers :beer:
Tymtravler

Last edited:

jayrob

:thanks:

Yep... and the 405-G-1 won't degrade, so you can use it for your future 8X/12X and even higher power! :)

Last edited:

Grix

Does the 405 aixiz glass lens really mess up the dot as much as it looks? :s

Yes, it looks exactly like that. But it is 7.5 meters away, you can't tell anyway.