Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Lava Micro FlexDrive Driver (lavadrive2) fits pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lava Micro FlexDrive Driver (lavadrive2) fits

milantheone said:
hello, DR. LAVA what is the best ''power supply'' for BR with your V3 driver????
1, CR battery
2, 2 x aaa
3, 3 x aaa ??????
could you clear that up for me please???
everywhere i can see using 2xaaa with BR+V3 in pen style host, but is there any difference if i will use 3xaaa???
cheers

I'm not drlava, but I can answer this for you. The above choices are all the same as far as output is concerned. Your laser won't be any "brighter" with three AAA's. The flexdrive boosts the voltage to whatever is needed as long as the input voltage is between 2.5-5.5 volts. The only differences would/could be seen in how long you go between battery changes.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=milantheone link=1209418066/760#767 date=1229870511]hello, DR. LAVA what is the best ''power supply'' for BR with your V3 driver????
1, CR battery
2, 2 x aaa
3, 3 x aaa ??????
could you clear that up for me please???
everywhere i can see using 2xaaa with BR+V3 in pen style host, but is there any difference if i will use 3xaaa???
cheers

I'm not drlava, but I can answer this for you.  The above choices are all the same as far as output is concerned.  Your laser won't be any "brighter" with three AAA's.  The flexdrive boosts the voltage to whatever is needed as long as the input voltage is between 2.5-5.5 volts.  The only differences would/could be seen in how long you go between battery changes.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

thank you very much...

I'm having issues with my microdrive - it is being driven off 3 AAA batteries (4.5v), set at the max of low-range, and my diode has dimmed significantly since i first used it - it no longer lights matches or flouresces stuff as vigorously (803T diode). I desoldered it, and wired it up to a test load, and now, as soon as I connect the batteries, the output current peaks at 150 or so mA before dropping rapidly to around 80. Is there a reason for this? The batteries measure around 3.4V currently. It's been in a Pocket Pal style build, working OK for a few days. I'm still working on it so any ideas?

Edit: Updated numbers...

I fixed it - noob solution but I changed the batteries and it worked again :-[ but 20 minutes later, and I break the diode :-/

In a Dorcy Jr. with a 123A battery, does anyone have any idea how long I could run a LOC diode before the battery runs down? Also would a different diode (803T) give a difference in time before flat? I'm saying because I am planning my own belated christmas present/early birthday, which will hopefully be a Dorcy Red burner or Blu pointer, and I don't have a clue how the lavadrive responds to different batteries. Can anyone enlighten me?

charlie bruce said:
I fixed it - noob solution but I changed the batteries and it worked again :-[ but 20 minutes later, and I break the diode   :-/

In a Dorcy Jr. with a 123A battery, does anyone have any idea how long I could run a LOC diode before the battery runs down? Also would a different diode (803T) give a difference in time before flat? I'm saying because I am planning my own belated christmas present/early birthday, which will hopefully be a Dorcy Red burner or Blu pointer, and I don't have a clue how the lavadrive responds to different batteries. Can anyone enlighten me?

If you are using a host that takes only one cr123 battery, you can use one RCR123 (rechargeable) battery as well.  That way you can have one in the laser and another one or two being charged

Peace,
dave

I'm thinking about ordering one of these driver boards, but first I was wondering how to set it up. I have a PHR-803T hd-dvd diode. I'd like to run it from 120-140mW. So the dummy load I should use is ~40 ohms. Do I put the ammeter in series and measure until it is using 130mW?

Preset current? Does that mean If I have a HD DVD diode form an xbox 360 and want you to set the driver so all Ineed to do is solder the diode and add power you will? I was told not to drive my diode over 100mA if I want it to last and I do want it to last. Burning is not my main concern but the lowest mW required to burn at all would be what I want. I dont need to max this this thing out and kill it.

I am buying a heatsink from stonetek, I already have glass optics from a cheap laser, just happened to be a glass lens.

Any help would be great. I plan to order right away.

DNMEBOY said:
Preset current? Does that mean If I have a HD DVD diode form an xbox 360 and want you to set the driver so all Ineed to do is solder the diode and add power you will? I was told not to drive my diode over 100mA if I want it to last and I do want it to last. Burning is not my main concern but the lowest mW required to burn at all would be what I want. I dont need to max this this thing out and kill it.

I am buying a heatsink from stonetek, I already have glass optics from a cheap laser, just happened to be a glass lens.

Any help would be great. I plan to order right away.
That is exactly what it means :)

Yes, when you select preset current, an entry box is enabled where you type in the current(s) you want set, and the I set them and write the current on the back of the driver.

DrLava i pm you about some drivers. can you get back to me, thanks. 3 total.

Tommy

i dont get any output on mine.

cric8r said:
i dont get any output on mine.

That would be fairly strange. What do you have it hooked up to? How do you have it hooked up?

Peace,
dave

Well when i connected the test load. I got output of only 3.6v while using a 10440 battery. Then i connected the diode and measured the voltage at the terminals i got zero volts. Its in a flashlight case so i have a switch.

cric8r said:
Well when i connected the test load. I got output of only 3.6v while using a 10440 battery. Then i connected the diode and measured the voltage at the terminals i got zero volts. Its in a flashlight case so i have a switch.

You should have been measuring current (not voltage) with the test load.  The flexdrive will give the load whatever voltage it wants. Do you know what the current is set at?  Can you disconnect the diode and test it again?

Peace,
dave

I figured it out. Somehow both +- were touching each other on the diode. Probably because the flashlight i am using has a tight fit.

cric8r said:
I figured it out. Somehow both +- were touching each other on the diode. Probably because the flashlight i am using has a tight fit.

That would do it ;)

Peace,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back