Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser tatoo with my 6x

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmak

word

Lol this turned into like a science/health class

Funny thing is, I actually learned a lot more valuable information from this thread than I would in an entire semester of a science/health class in school/college.

My parents were always so proud :whistle:

biddar

im a little man, and now because of your influences im going to buy a bluray laser and burn the shit out of myself TY FOR RUINING MY LIFE.

Benm

How many people are going to post that 405nm causes cancer? It DOES NOT cause cancer, several members more specialized in the area have speculated it is no where near the part of the spectrum that causes cancer.

I dont think that it is a fair assesment to state that one wavelength will cause, while another will not regardless of intensity.

405 nm is on the border line of what would be considered ionizing radiation. In general, real world, application the risk is limited, but that all changes when you start burning skin with it on purpose.

In my opinion, creating a 'tattoo' like this is a very bad idea to start with, and noone should attempt to do it. Obviously there is no guarantee it will give you a bigass LOL-shaped basal cell carcinoma, but if it did, you would very seriously regret ever tempting the chances!

cmak

yes I'd also be curious what it looks like now that some time has gone by :D

peace
-cmak

When i first got my 1W 808nm i put my finger right up to the diode (with no lens) to see if i could feel the heat... 0.5 seconds later, answer is yes lol. but i would not focus it and put my hand there. are goggles with a rating of OD4 good enough for 1W lasers? i saw someone with OD12 goggles :-/.

I repeat, NOT intelligent... I repeat NOT intelligent!

1) You are going to give yourself a long lasting scar that will refuse to heal properly.
2) It really isn't a good idea to be burning yourself with a 405nM laser (or any laser for that matter) as we are talking UV
here. 405nM is blu-rays longest wavelength.

cmak

failpost - I have corrected it

I repeat, NOT intelligent... I repeat NOT intelligent!

1) You are going to give yourself a long lasting scar that will refuse to heal properly.
2) It really isn't a good idea to be burning yourself with a 405nM laser (or any laser for that matter) as we are talking UV
here. 405nM is blu-rays longest wavelength.

FAIL

corrected version:
I repeat, i'm NOT intelligent... I repeat, I am NOT intelligent!

1) You are going to give yourself a long lasting scar that will refuse to heal properly. <--- please explain / provide evidence
here
. <--- no WAY! I thought we were talking gamma rays
405nM is blu-rays longest wavelength. <--- just taking a *wild* guess here, but I think you meant the shortest wavelength? And even if that's what you meant, it still wouldn't have made sense because there is no "shortest" or "longest" wavelength. The only thing that could have made sense that you may have been "trying to say" is "405nm one of the shortest wavelengths of the human visible spectrum".
;)

a long lasting scar that will refuse to heal properly.

Firstly, that's redundant. Any one of the colored parts are enough.

Secondly... as opposed to what? If a scar is short-lived and heals properly, is it even a scar at all?

/grammar nazi :san:

Last edited:

KiLLrB

Lmao a cmak but still the moral of the story is that a laser "tattoo" just isnt too bright. [/myopinion]

D

Deleted member 8382

what's that about blurays longest or shortest wavelength? Bluray IS a wavelenght, 405, nothing else than 405nm laser!

Fivos

I thought violet lasers or blue can cause skin cancer because the wavelenght is close to UV light. I burnt my skin with my 445nm and my 405nm laser and then I read that this was sure skin cancer in a youtube video. I was so down. But with reading this I am now OK.

I still like this topic for the "what ifs" someone was talking about "what if someone tried to burn their eyelashes"
What ifs are fun, "what if someone ignited the fuse on a stick of dynamite?"
well, they would be a candidate for the Darwin awards...

HHere comes experiment to the rescue!

Dr. Setlow put some teeny-tiny fish in a cuvette and exposed them to one wavelength at a time in a spectrophotometer. Some of them got skin cancer. YES, FISH WITH SKIN CANCER. Here are the findings (if I can post links yet, which is a silly rule):

http://www.dnva.no/geomed/solarpdf/Nr_11_Setlow.pdf
Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI

Are micro-fish a good model for people? Better than nothing is my guess.

The results:
Wavelength Relative cancer risk
302 1.00
313 0.16
365 0.32
405 0.017
436 0.023
(547 ~0.02)

The 547 is on the graph, but apparently they didn't finish the experiment-- the number is from squinting at the graph.

It looks like there is a dip at 313 and 405, but looking at the error bars, 313 is probably about the same as 365, and 405 probably about the same as 436.

Take-home:

It looks like 405nm is about as safe as 547, maybe safer. But that doesn't mean 547 is completely safe.
-Burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.