Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser gloves now for sale

Ablaze

It is amazingly difficult to do these any justice in text!

I've made a new video that shows them off a little bit.

AUSBEN

$700 for a couple of 5mW greens on a glove....

LOL THIS MADE MY DAY!!!

Lase

I've always felt that the manufacturer should set the price wherever they want. If people want it they will buy it. If the price is too high chances are a competitor will make an alternative for less.

I do agree with this, however I believe that as a manufacturer, you have to listen to your target market.

If you're being told that the people who would like to buy this, won't because of price, wouldn't you re-think your pricing structure?

If you're pricing is rigid because your sources are pricey, find another source. It's quite simple.

Plus as someone who has to value their time, I believe that your labour should never cost more than 15% of the total cost of the job, per hour.

Lase

Ablaze

If you like the idea, but want a cheaper version there are already cheaper laser gloves out there. Be prepared for red lasers that you can hardly see, gloves that fall apart in a matter of weeks, and lasers mounted in awkward places though. That's what you get from a cheap product: something that replicates the idea, but not the spirit.

I would be disappointed to pay $160 for that red set that was mentioned earlier, once I actually tried to use them. I would not be disappointed to have paid $699 for Trinary gloves, because they are actually made well enough to use.

I do agree with this, however I believe that as a manufacturer, you have to listen to your target market.

If you're being told that the people who would like to buy this, won't because of price, wouldn't you re-think your pricing structure?

If you're pricing is rigid because your sources are pricey, find another source. It's quite simple.

Plus as someone who has to value their time, I believe that your labour should never cost more than 15% of the total cost of the job, per hour.

Lase

No he doesn't..... if he finds that his sales are low or non existent..
that would be the only indication that will definitively tell him the
price is too high.

Where did this nugget of wisdom come from.... or is this only
your opinion....:thinking:

Labour entails R&D.. ordering parts as well as actual production assembly time.
If you are doing small quantity production that time increases and
on a one per... the time is even greater.

That being said... I can no doubt make a professional looking
prototype Laser Glove for under $200.
So for that reason... to me personally... the cost of $700-$900
seems too high for me to buy the product.

Jerry

Last edited:

Ablaze

Thank you for stepping in bee.

The price may go down in the future. For the moment the one listed is the only one I have ready. Until I can upgrade my production process in some way or get more free time I couldn't possibly make more than one of these a week.

Consider this a pre-release if you like.

Ablaze

I've gone ahead and reduced the price.

It won't be going any lower any time soon.

bee, $200 wouldn't even cover the cost of parts, good luck with that pipe dream :p

I've gone ahead and reduced the price.

It won't be going any lower any time soon.

bee, $200 wouldn't even cover the cost of parts, good luck with that pipe dream :p

I think you forget that the main function of my company
is Electronic R&D... We've been doing it for ~25 years...

What you call a Pipe Dream we call R&D design reality....;)

Jerry

Ablaze

Hmm.. to drop the parts cost that low I think you would have to use non-rechargeable batteries, unreinforced laser modules, or drop the number of lasers down to 3 or 4 per hand.

My last design cost under $200 in parts and it seemed nice with the lights off. In the end there were just too many points of failure.

If you do end up building a set I would be interested to hear about how it turns out :)

Ablaze

This is unreinforced. The module may be cheap but that circuit board sticking out the back will snap or the wire leads will pop off the board if you try to wear that laser.

You could put an additional casing around it to protect it, but this would increase the cost. The DIY laser housings would all be too heavy.

If I use a different language than you, rhd, I think that's probably because I'm working with a different problem set than you.

You strapped 10 5mw green modules to a pair of gloves...

I can see ~75$ for the lasers, 5$ for the battery, another 30$ for the gloves and material.

You could buy some of those cheap 7$ ebay pens, pot mod them down to safe levels, solder the switch close, and chop off the end just below the driver. Everything else is pretty straightforward. You should be able to make a reasonable profit for 200$, and you should probably integrate the battery into the glove. If you want IR filtering, add another 60-80$.

Last edited:

Ablaze

That sounds like a good plan Kwiet. Very much like my first set. I think it would give you a nice sense of accomplishment to DIY a set like that.

Just a word of advice though: Avoid lithium ion batteries for something like this, they can explode. It sounds like with your budget you would just use a radio shack battery pack anyway and fill it with D cells.

LoL, this thread explains the request for quotation my company received today. I didn't know anyone made laser gloves.

These gloves do take alot of work.
I decided to take some time to design a much different version.
This is something that i will most likly keep in my personal toy box.
But for those who want to see where i draw my inspiration here you go.
ribbondevice-500x312.jpg

It takes a form kinda like that, but with a few differences.
First those pipe/ wire running points will be above the hand along with the jewel.
The wire will be encased in clear pcv tubing and the wiring used for the lasers will be 26GA clear audio wire. also inside the wiring will be EL-WIRE
elcolorsx600.jpg

Pick any color, they have a driver the size of a coin and can power up to 2ft.
Now the lasers used are 32mm long 12mm wide 50mw greens.
They are held in by plastic.
This is all powered by a 3.7V rc battery pack.
With 1 driver for all the lasers with balance resistors. All drivers will be located in the jewel on the back of the hand
Here is a pick of the el-wire driver.
Very small (thats not the 3V version but the 3V version is the size of a quarter. bit larger but still fine.)
tiny-el-driver.jpg

So all this will make a very cool very functional glove.
This design is free for anyone to use it is cool and when i get the time to take it from my sketch book to real life i will post pictures but i got so many projects sitting that i have to get done first.
Still material price for 5 50mw lasers is 100$ per glove. For good quality one if i want to go cheaper i might be able to do it for 75$ a glove.
So just in lasers you have 150$ min.
Then drivers maybe another 20 per glove. 180$ so far
Add some el-wire about 5$ a glove so 190$
Getting the plastic finger mounts maybe another 10$ per glove. 210$
So just in material you are looking at 210$ now add in the time to put this together and the fact that to order the plastic finger laser holders you had to order a 1,000 of them to make them worth it. so that money upfront.
A selling price of over 500$ is to be expected minimum.
The hours and upfront cost to get this as a product of the ground are not small.
Some may say but your making over 100% profit well forget the upfront cash i had to use to get all the parts buying in bulk.
The hours to assemble then add in all the upfront costs and mistakes your going to make and cover your ass in case one show up with 1 dead finger so you have to then replace it.
I think if you can build a laser glove and sell it for 500$ you have done well.
Love the gloves.

Last edited:

rhd

Oh, what's the EL string driver called? Where do you get it?