Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Laser cigar lighter possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfo

Banned
I find it fairly funny how kip hasn't posted here since August of '09, and all of the sudden sees this thread & replies to it. Hmm...

robjdixon

Well he has to keep an eye on the forums to find some laser related things to rip-off other members.

Remember the "WORLDS FIRST CHEAPY LASER LIGHTER?" I lost all respect for him after that dirty piece of thievery

billg519

Laser lighters have come up before. My 2W handheld will easily light a cigarette or cigar, and quite quickly. Laser goggles are mandatory. It's just easier to use a butane lighter than it is to carry laser goggles and a 2W laser around. It's just one of these ideas that's a cool experiment for a few times and then back to the butane lighter ...
My 0.02 worth.

KiLLrB

Laser lighters have come up before. My 2W handheld will easily light a cigarette or cigar, and quite quickly. Laser goggles are mandatory. It's just easier to use a butane lighter than it is to carry laser goggles and a 2W laser around. It's just one of these ideas that's a cool experiment for a few times and then back to the butane lighter ...
My 0.02 worth.

Exactly its a novelty trick but a fun one

Cenobite9

Didn't Daguin light a cigar with his first 500mW+ blu-ray? I thought I remember him posting that or I could be mistaken or maybe he was only kidding... either way, a 10x Blu-ray laser @ 400mW+ will light cigarettes but it takes a minute and you have to have a pretty steady hand. I would imagine a 12x putting out 600mW+ would do it but it wouldn't be practical... I have to agree with what everyone else has already said - use a lighter :)

Ash

Why is everybody so down on Kipgay?
Give the guy a break. He is just trying to make a buck with the sub-micro amount of knowledge he has. He doesn't know about laser safety, or care about the safety of others.
Fail

Last edited:

ZRTMWA

HumanSymphony is a member here:

Now imagine more than twice that power.

zaery

When I read the title of this thread, i thought "BAD IDEA!!!!!" But i realized, if you light the cigarette while holding the laser like a police flashlight, and hold the cigarette in your other hand, then it would be quite unlikely to hurt you, but there's always a chance. Also, if you drop a butane lighter and have it break, your wallet will lose only a dollar(or less? I have no clue how much those things cost nowadays, I don't smoke)

You kinda brought it upon yourself. I can only imagine how many people built your laser flashlight hack only to have it die within the first few power-ups due to voltage spikes.
That's me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.