Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser and cubes 2 max 445nm handheld laser module

ARG

Re: 48w + 445nm handheld laser module

I was told I could not get this (l) pattern from 2 beam that it had to be like this (+)
so if I have 2 coming the same shape like this (l) it should repeat .and I have shoot one beam through over 4 cube coming out straight ,it all the the way the cube are set up. I will see if I can show the 3rd module this weekend if I get time .

Great! I can't wait to see it working with the third module, that would prove it's repeatable as many times as necessary. :)

By the way, how many diodes do you plan to use to get 48W? The diode at the end must lose a fair bit of power from going through all the cubes.

Great! I can't wait to see it working with the third module, that would prove it's repeatable as many times as necessary. :)

By the way, how many diodes do you plan to use to get 48W? The diode at the end must lose a fair bit of power from going through all the cubes.

you posted this below
So then when combining two diodes, one | and one - you get a + shape.

So would you say I did some thing new by getting this (l) from 2 and not this (+)? I have never seen some one do this (l) with 2 beams have you?

how many diodes do you plan to use to get 48W? I hope 24 3.5w

Last edited:

ARGs build has them ligned up. But he uses a waveplate. He explained it to me up there somewhere

daguin

I'm still unclear of what you have done in those videos

Do you have two lasers shining into one cube with the resulting beam shining through the second cube?
or
One laser shining into one cube and the other laser shining into the other cube?

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

I'm still unclear of what you have done in those videos

Do you have two lasers shining into one cube with the resulting beam shining through the second cube?
or
One laser shining into one cube and the other laser shining into the other cube?

Peace,
dave
One laser going in to one cube come out then shooting in to the next cube 2nd laser shoots in to 2nd /next cube and so on and so on. it is all in the setup this is the (l) shape you have to have to keep going to the next cube not (+) shape

daguin

So it doesn't look like you have combined any beams yet
What you have are two different beams being reflected in the same general direction

It still looks like you are simply creating a knife edge assembly using PBS cubes instead of mirrors

As I said, you can accomplish the same thing for less money with mirrors
Plus, every time that a beam goes through a PBS cube, it will lose more power
Did you notice that the cube "glows"?
That is light that is NOT being sent out of the cube in the beam
The first few lasers' output will be affected by shining it through multiple cubes

When you reflect multiple skinny rectangles next to each other, eventually you get a square with all of the rectangles polarized the same direction

You can also then do another knife edge with the beams polarized in the other direction and then combine both "squares" with a PBS cube to double the output

Mark Housden has done it here

Anyway, that's how I'm seeing it now
I am open to other explanations, but don't see one yet

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

The video shows nothing man. And on top of that in the beginning of vid you say that it works. In later parts you say "in theory, and this might go like this".

That's how I thought he was approaching the solution. But now I'm not seeing how it can be done as described.

So it doesn't look like you have combined any beams yet
What you have are two different beams being reflected in the same general direction

It still looks like you are simply creating a knife edge assembly using PBS cubes instead of mirrors

As I said, you can accomplish the same thing for less money with mirrors
Plus, every time that a beam goes through a PBS cube, it will lose more power
Did you notice that the cube "glows"?
That is light that is NOT being sent out of the cube in the beam
The first few lasers' output will be affected by shining it through multiple cubes

When you reflect multiple skinny rectangles next to each other, eventually you get a square with all of the rectangles polarized the same direction

You can also then do another knife edge with the beams polarized in the other direction and then combine both "squares" with a PBS cube to double the output

Mark Housden has done it here

Anyway, that's how I'm seeing it now
I am open to other explanations, but don't see one yet

Peace,
dave

In knife edge you have let say 6 beams side by side at 2w that make a square with all of the rectangles polarized the same direction you do not have one 12w beam you have 6- 2w beams side by side . What I am doing is using the cubes to over lap each beam. You would have 1-12w beam (l) not a thick square
knife edge pattern looks something like this but the beams touches (llllll) the way my beams will be is like this (l) one beam for max burning power. some posted that I could not get this (l) from 2 cubes it would come out like this (+) But this video show that I did glasse on cam beam shot 001 - YouTube so with the 2 cubes coming out like this(l) it will go in to the next cube like it did in the first and repeat .This system will be small and put out a lot of power and easy to line up thanks CNC Machines . If you like a big beam then knife edge is for you but not me.
as I have stated I am working on this and just thought people would like to see it as it comes a long ,so please be patient.

daguin

In knife edge you have let say 6 beams side by side at 2w that make a square with all of the rectangles polarized the same direction you do not have one 12w beam you have 6- 2w beams side by side . What I am doing is using the cubes to over lap each beam. You would have 1-12w beam (l) not a thick square
knife edge pattern looks something like this but the beams touches (llllll) the way my beams will be is like this (l) one beam for max burning power. some posted that I could not get this (l) from 2 cubes it would come out like this (+) But this video show that I did glasse on cam beam shot 001 - YouTube so with the 2 cubes coming out like this(l) it will go in to the next cube like it did in the first and repeat .This system will be small and put out a lot of power and easy to line up thanks CNC Machines . If you like a big beam then knife edge is for you but not me.
as I have stated I am working on this and just thought people would like to see it as it comes a long ,so please be patient.

You misunderstood the two lasers one cube statement
*IF* you shine two lasers into the one cube you must have opposite polarizations to get one through and the other to reflect.
That's how PBS cubes work

If, as you say, you are getting a "square" output, then you are shining the rectangular beams next to each other,
They are NOT "overlapping" in more than a minor way
If they were overlapping, they would still be a skinny rectangle

It is possible that the beams are so close together that you cannot "see" the separate beams, but if the shape changed, they are there
This problem is most apparent in the close field that you are working at
In the far field, these problems become easily recognizable

The other possibility is that the PBS cubes are introducing enough distortion, at even this low number of cubes, that the beams are scattering

In the real world, optics are NEVER 100% efficient and ALWAYS introduce
some distortion
The more optics you shine the beam through, the more power is lost and the more distortion is introduced

Once again, I am not saying your claim is untrue, yet.
I am saying that you are not showing what you think you are showing
Your results are easily explainable by already well understood concepts
Remember to keep Occam's Razor in mind

Those same well understood concepts also expose the potential problems of your experiment

Please do the experiment
They are a great source of knowledge

However, I would also ask you, please do not order 1,000 of these assemblies before you have a prototype working at the power levels you are hoping for

Peace,
dave

*IF* you shine two lasers into the one cube you must have opposite polarizations to get one through and the other to reflect.

If, as you say, you are getting a "square" output, then you are shining the rectangular beams next to each other,

You are right 2 beams in one cube and you will get this (+) but that is not what I am doing. 1 laser one cube and 2nd cube 2nd laser going in to cube and I get 2 beams like this (l) in a skinny rectangle pattern like (l) over lapping not side by side.In this video they are not line up so you can see this (l) pattern glasse on cam beam shot 001 - YouTube I am trying to make the best video I can to show what I am doing hope to show 3 cubes as soon as I can. Thanks to all for being patient.

I have 6 modules coming to test before I order a 1000

You still don't get it.

Take a look at this link...
Arctos Multi Diode Array

Arctos is generally considered the best in projectors. If your idea could be done I'm sure it would have. You need to understand that while the knife edge produces this "llll" there is so much power that it really ends up looking like this "l"
:beer:

You might be able to pull off a trick with 2 or three diodes. In the end physics will catch up. Good luck

Last edited:

daguin

You are right 2 beams in one cube and you will get this (+) but that is not what I am doing. 1 laser one cube and 2nd cube 2nd laser going in to cube and I get 2 beams like this (l) in a skinny rectangle pattern like (l) over lapping not side by side.In this video they are not line up so you can see this (l) pattern glasse on cam beam shot 001 - YouTube I am trying to make the best video I can to show what I am doing hope to show 3 cubes as soon as I can. Thanks to all for being patient.

I have 6 modules coming to test before I order a 1000

I'm pretty sure of exactly what you are doing now.
"One cube per laser, reflecting the beams down the center of the cubes"
Nothing you have said here or I have seen in the videos alters my understanding
My point is that I believe that what you are trying to do can be done more cheaply and more efficiently using mirrors

Using PBS cubes is more costly and less efficient
The power losses to the optics and the inevitable scattering of the beams will only be increased with the addition of even more optics

I believe that your beams are just next to each other or being scattered to "look like" something else is happening

Peace,
dave

I'm pretty sure of exactly what you are doing now.
"One cube per laser, reflecting the beams down the center of the cubes"
Nothing you have said here or I have seen in the videos alters my understanding
My point is that I believe that what you are trying to do can be done more cheaply and more efficiently using mirrors

Using PBS cubes is more costly and less efficient
The power losses to the optics and the inevitable scattering of the beams will only be increased with the addition of even more optics

I believe that your beams are just next to each other or being scattered to "look like" something else is happening

Peace,
dave

what I am go for is a handheld system/unit with using cube. I can make the lager part that holds all the cubs that is setup by CNC to help line the modules so some one can add more Module as they get the money to do so . the 3 bolt spring system
will make it easy to line the modules up as for power your right cubs use more power but as for price I can sale the cubs for( $20 each 5 or more) ($15 if you get 10 or more )

Last edited:

Up date good news and bad news .I tested the power loss from cube to cube the power loss from shoot one beam through 6 adding one at a time to a get a average it was around 200mw loss per cube. I used a 3.2W 445nm laser for the test .
The bad new is that after 16 cubes you get 0 power.
For me this is not good, looking to get 100W
Good news is! for most if you use 10 cube you could get around 21w that is if all were 3.2 W .With the diodes I use 3.2W is a good average.The cube are 1/2'' so the module that would hold the cubes would be 5'' long .
I could take 2 of the 5'' long module and put them side by side then shoot them in to a cube and get around 40W
I know I can get more power from knife edge but it is hard to set up, were the modules I am working on would be easy to set up.I will look in to knife edge for more power but 21w from 5'' long module is looking good for now!

Last edited: