Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Language questions. Please read and answer.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

Select the options that suit you. (check only 2 options)

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 8382

I was just reading the fail/light saber thread when I saw mfo doubting the guy was intelligent just because he couldn't speak English properly.

I've seen this happening since I first joined a forum. I don't know why but people will laugh on you when making mistakes while trying to write English properly. For this reason I want to ask you two things:

Is English your main language?
How many languages can you speak?
What languages can you speak?

The first 2 questions will be answered on the poll (it's public). Just click yes/no and then the amount of languages you can speak.

The third question will be answered in a post, just write them in a reply to this thread.

Yours,
Albert

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 8382

lasersbee, you can 2 or 3? you voted on twice. Btw, I guess they are french and english?

I speak English... French... and a small bit of German that's why
I chose 2 & 3 = 2.5..:D

Jerry

Jaseth

I am half English so consider English to be partly my main language.
I speak Danish, English, French, some Swedish, some Norwegian, some German, some Spanish and a tiny bit of Italian.. Since that's 3 + several I partly speak, I chose 4.

Seb

D

Deleted member 8382

I meant languages that you can speak fluently, just like I speak English ;)

Rob

I only speak and write English. I really wish I had put more effort into my Spanish and French classes. Oh well, someday maybe....

HIMNL9

Cause you have not asked for only the languages that we can speak good, but generically how much languages we can speak, then, other than my native language, i can also speak (from bad to worse :p) : English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese ..... and, if you count also the ones that i know only few words, Russian, Greek, Welsh (Gaelic) and Latin (but, very few words only, cannot do nor understand any conversation, with them :p)

Oh, and a pair of insults in German, that a friend told me times ago ..... but nothing more, from it :D

Edit: and, under some piles of books, i also have a Japanese grammar book, lost somewhere ..... but don't ask me what's written on it :p :D

Last edited:
Perhaps mfo shouldn't have jumped on Hansolo777s english speaking ability, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy's an idiot.. language skills lacking or not.

I think what you're describing stems from the fact that the American members often forget that there are members here from other countries.

Last edited:
I'm an American of hispanic ethnicity. I speak english, and a little spanglish. Enough to order a burrito and beer, and understand when I'm being insulted. I also know a little ebonics, although that falls into the spanglish type of category. :p
I plan on the ordering Rosetta Stone program for arabic, and spanish.- more languages = more $$

D

Deleted member 8382

It's not just here. I think it's more a matter that the associate people with bad grammar with people with no culture.

I've felt offended many times when someone tells me "get some grammar" or things like that, and I ensure you this has happened to me MANY times.

The funnier thing is that usually the guys telling me this can only speak English and because it's their native language, while I'm learning English as my THIRD language!

I'm not aiming no one but everyone with this reflexion ;)

@HINML9: How did you end up learning so many languages lol?
English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese

Yours,
Albert

Grix

Norwegian and English (I also understand swedish and danish, as firemylaser says two posts down)

Last edited:

jaycey

Spanish, English, Euskara

IMO language/grammer is normaly picked on in forums when the poster is being a noob or the topic becomes confrontational...nit picking!

Swedish and English, a little German. All us in the Nordic pretty much understands each other more or less (except Finland, none understands Finnish lol)

D

Deleted member 8382

I really envy you for that. Here unless you learn english by your own, you can't go anywhere else in Europe...

English of course, and then Spanish. Its been required in my scool district for years. 4 years is enough for me to understand and hold a basic Spanish conversation.

I wish I had learned Latin or something like that though... I always thought that would be cool..