Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kryton buildling/fixing job

Kenom

The driver does not appear to be reversed although it does look as though the positive pin is not connected but is instead soldered to the base of the diode.

Attachments

• Robj01_001_001.jpg
    Robj01_001_001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 82

Kenom

rog8811 said:
spring soldered to the positive side of the driver
Is that the way it is on the lavadrive?
If so I am totaly confused...does the track I have marked come from the spring? if so it goes to the case of the LD and, according to rob, is linked to the neg pin......

Regards rog8811

It's hard to tell from the angle if it's truly soldered to the positive or the neg. I would assume based on the way the spring is sitting that it is indeed connected to the positive.

The driver does not appear to be reversed although it does look as though the positive pin is not connected but is instead soldered to the base of the diode.
I see what you are saying ken, I think one of the other pictures shows the blob on the LD pin joins round the back of the leg from the driver....
But it does bring up a point, @rob, all that white stuff is what remains of the rosin flux, your joints are not looking too good, there is just a chance that the only connection between LD pin and driver leg is hardened flux. as the solder has obviously not flowed around the leg.

Regards rog8811

[edit]OK, as I said earlier I have never had a lava so I was only guessing at the connection to the spring, it is soldered the other side of the board where I cannot see it.[/edit]

daguin

It is hard to tell from the picture. That is why I wrote it out in words above. The connections I listed above are the connections needed to use the flexdrive in the Kryton

Peace,
dave

Kenom

I see what your saying about the other picture showing it actually having a connection to the positive. However since the other side shows the pin actually coming into contact with the base of the diode, it looks like that could be shorting the whole thing out.

drlava

The input capacitor on your driver appears to have been desoldered and is missing. It will not work without it. Let me know if you can't find the cap I can mail you a replacement.
(see attached)

Attachments

• Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 71

daguin

drlava said:
The input capacitor on your driver appears to have been desoldered and is missing.  It will not work without it.  Let me know if you can't find the cap I can mail you a replacement.
(see attached)

That would present a problem . . . . .

Peace,
dave

drlava said:
The input capacitor on your driver appears to have been desoldered and is missing.  It will not work without it.  Let me know if you can't find the cap I can mail you a replacement.
(see attached)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I sent you a PM

hi guys, can i have one question????

i want to make sure about Flexdrive as i am looking at those pictures and few days ago i was solving simmilar problem..

i had two pins soldered together and i wasnt sure if i can simply connect it to the flexdrive..

i will describe why..  see picture..

one side of driver is input and second is output to the diode..

but if i will solder two pins together {negative or positive with case pin} than does it mean that output part of flexdrive where i will attach  pins will be like input for positive or negative patch??? i mean is it like in green modules drivers??? is flexdrive build for this type of connection???
i dont know how to describe it better - sorry..
i hope that you can understand what i am asking :-/

so question is if flexdrive is suitable to use output like input ???

Attachments

• cut_V3_001.JPG
    cut_V3_001.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 82

daguin

Yes.  [highlight]**IF** the case of the laser is used as the negative pathway,[/highlight] then the negative lead on the "input" side does not need to be connected.  This is the case in the Kryton builds, the Dorcy builds, the leadlight builds, and many of the other laser-conversion type builds.  The ground through the flexdrive is continuous.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
Yes.  [highlight]**IF** the case of the laser is used as the negative pathway,[/highlight] then the negative lead on the "input" side does not need to be connected.  This is the case in the Kryton builds, the Dorcy builds, the leadlight builds, and many of the other laser-conversion type builds.  The ground through the flexdrive is continuous.

Peace,
dave

all right thank you, i just wasnt sure...

but in same way i can link up a positive patch, right???

daguin

MilanTheOne said:
[quote author=daguin link=1233513111/20#25 date=1233601668]Yes.  [highlight]**IF** the case of the laser is used as the negative pathway,[/highlight] then the negative lead on the "input" side does not need to be connected.  This is the case in the Kryton builds, the Dorcy builds, the leadlight builds, and many of the other laser-conversion type builds.  The ground through the flexdrive is continuous.
Peace,
dave
but in same way i can link up a positive patch, right??? [/quote]

I'm not sure if the flexdrive can be used this way with a case positive diode/module.

Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=MilanTheOne link=1233513111/20#26 date=1233601875][quote author=daguin link=1233513111/20#25 date=1233601668]Yes.  [highlight]**IF** the case of the laser is used as the negative pathway,[/highlight] then the negative lead on the "input" side does not need to be connected.  This is the case in the Kryton builds, the Dorcy builds, the leadlight builds, and many of the other laser-conversion type builds.  The ground through the flexdrive is continuous.
Peace,
dave
but in same way i can link up a positive patch, right??? [/quote]

I'm not sure if the flexdrive can be used this way with a case positive diode/module.

Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

yes, maybe DR.lava

anyway thank you for enlighten me

drlava

Hi, if the FlexDrive is to be used with case anode diodes, either the battery or the diode must be isolated from the case. Here is a summary diagram:
wiring_flexdrive.png

cheers

i have clear now with those types of connection, but there is still one more variation - positive patch in case - see picture..

is it doable or flexdrive is not suitable for this type??? case positive

Attachments

• wiring_flexdrive.JPG
    wiring_flexdrive.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 66