Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kipkay copied Rog!

Asherz

Kipkay claims to have made the first laser lighter here:

YouTube - Cheapy Laser Lighter Burner!

It's pretty much the same as Rog's except it's with a different lighter, still it's pretty cool but he also seems to be using a blue laser module lol? I'm guessing it's violet but it did look a lot like blue, I checked the link he gave and they also said blue but don't state a wavelength.

Here's the diode module:

Hi Powered Blue Laser Diode 150mW

Rog's Laser Lighter is of a much higher quality build than this cheap one...
Kipkay as usual.. is wrong... because we all know Rog built the 1st
Laser lighter which is documented on the forum and elsewhere...

If Kipkay or anyone else would take a Blu-Ray LD in a Flashlight Host
and light a cigarette with it... they could claim it to be a Laser Cigarette
Lighter... But it still would not be anything near what Rog built...
and it wouldn't be the 1st....:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:
It is not blue. Eventho he said it several times in the video.
I posted this in the comments:
This was done by rog8811 months ago!!! NOT a "worlds first!" Way to go stealing all the CREDIT for it!

Kip replied:
No. He did it in a flip-top lighter. Get your facts RIGHT before you YELL AT ME!!!

What an ARSE.

Asherz

He's such an arse really, I mean big deal he did it in a different lighter, it's still the same friggen thing lol! We all know Rog did it first and to 20X the quality.

Thanks for the comments guys:yh:, I have to say KK has made a nice neat job of his one and it is yet another host for people to try. I think the safety aspect is worth thinking about if anyone is going to try it though, at least with my one I know exactly where the beam is before turning it on, right at the edge of the lid.
Also I never hold the ciggy in my mouth when lighting it.

Regards rog8811
llfinished01.jpg

I was gonna post that comment, claiming "Hey, our rog-awesome did it first!" but he used a different host.. I couldn't say anything.

Although yeah of course I support rog-awesome 100%, his builds are unique!

Asherz

Kipkays video's when they actually come down to it are missing alot of what he actually did lol, after he set up the circuit he just stuffs it all back in the lighter lol, but how does he keep the laser still inside and not all over the place?

around 1:10 in the vid he keeps saying it is blue and you can get the blue diode at the site he is pushing lol

What I didn't like about that build was that he used no heatsink. That's like getting an aixiz module, a piece of wood, drilling a hole in the piece of wood, sticking the module in it :D

daguin

Yea. This is 405nm. He calls it "blue" because that's what people want. He calls 473nm "Ultra blue." :crackup:

Peace,
dave

Yea. This is 405nm. He calls it "blue" because that's what people want. He calls 473nm "Ultra blue." :crackup:

Peace,
dave

Wouldn't Ultra Blue be violet?

Ultra violet is beyond violet..so.... :angel:

It's like calling Green "Ultra Red" :p

Kipkay

Okay...first off, Asherz, I NEVER claimed to make the first laser lighter. This IS the WORLD's first laser lighter in a BIC style lighter or "cheapy" lighter like I say in the video. I was aware of Rog's design and intentioanlly avoided confusing the two. Are you guys claiming that since ROG made a flip top laser lighter that there is no other way to do it or that using a completely different style lighter disqualifies someone from making one?

So Laserbee, it's okay to claim the first if a Blu-Ray LD is used? That goes against your first argument doesn't it? Since Rog made a lighter with a LD in it then no one EVER can claim the first of ANY type, style design...because ROG made one first.

Asherz, I did an Instructable on this and explain in great detail the build. Hot glue was used to hold the module and swicth in plase. Not really rocket science. I usually don't go into every single detail in my videos or they would 5 minutes long.

Nikokapo, I DID use a heatsink. It's the module the diode is installed in.

For all the traffic I bring this forum...maybe you guys are a bit too harsh and I should stop sending people here.

I mean really, comments like..."Kipkay as usual...us wrong" and then I have to come here and defend myself?

Hey Kipkay...

maybe "Kipkay as usual.. is wrong..." was a little harsh... I'll take that back...

So Laserbee, it's okay to claim the first if a Blu-Ray LD is used? That goes against your first argument doesn't it? Since Rog made a lighter with a LD in it then no one EVER can claim the first of ANY type, style design...because ROG made one first.

I have no clue as to what you posted... or what you're trying to say...

Just because you stuck in the word "cheapie" in your claim of the "World's First
[cheapie] Lighter Laser Burner" it still implies that your build is "The Worlds First
Laser Lighter" which we both know it isn't...

No need to manipulate my words.... I could have easily said RED or GREEN LD...
It has nothing to do with a Blu-Ray LD...

The point I was making is that anyone is allowed to build a burning laser into anything
they want (like you did) and they can call it a "Laser Lighter".....
just not The World's First...IMO

I must hand it to you though... by using the word "cheapie" in your claim...
you did cover your A$$...(somewhat)...

BTW... when I see some "expert" shinning a Burning Laser towards his own naked
eyes... (without any type of Laser safety protection)...
It makes be cringe and question the intelligence of that party....
By showing that in your video... it seems that you are saying it is safe to do so..

Jerry

Last edited:
I have no complaints about kips design, I like how simple it is. My only problem is how he acts like it was his idea all along, when in fact he got inspired by rog. He putted allot of effort in the lighter and likes to share it with everyone. That's not very hard for kip who has a ton of subscribers, he even has partnership with youtube. So saying the "worlds first lighter-whatever" without mentioning where he got the idea is not cool. I even recall kip asking for ideas here at the forums for a laser vid, and he would give credit to whoever had a neat idea.

Nikokapo, I DID use a heatsink. It's the module the diode is installed in.

Man, but the housing doesn't provide enough heatsinking for the diode to be switched on for periods longer than 30 seconds... although it is a lighter, shouldn't be on for more than 15 :p

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention at all, although I do agree with FireMyAwesome, you could quote where you got the inspiration for it, but that's just me, you do as you please :)

He is kind of right. I found this forum from the video "What Kipkay doesn't tell you" LOL.

Regardless of you saying never point it at your face, your video shows an unprotected person with a laser pointed 10 inches from his face. That's not very responsible. I cringed too, kids (or any person) could get permanently injured. But then again you don't sell goggles so I guess it didn't occur to you to mention that fact.