Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers Pro PL-E 473 - An In Depth Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNLASER

5 ~ 80mW SWOT Series 473nm 'Special' Blue Laser

5mW -- ONLY -- 450$
10 $550
20 $650
30 $750
50 $1000
80 only $1800
MUST be quite ='special'

.LaserGlow
IIRC form Canada and a company with a great rep. ( lasers are made in China)

473nm aqua. series

3 mW... $500
2-5 mW $550
2-9mW $600
10-19mW $650
40-59mW $900
60-79mW $1200

(**) ())))))))))))
BTW please read all return and warranty info at JL.org or you can read it at JOG the JL social group.
at the descretion of JL you may be offered a refund at any time - and NOT always new or better laser.
You are all special people and customers

none are 'more' special.

your mileage may vary.

AFAIK some lasers have a 6 month warranty.

Gary may some day be CEO at JL but ATM he must answer to his bosses.

I would like to see him around a long time.

PLEASE do not abuse his kindness. I personally would appreciate that.

hak
feel free to discuss anything on your mind with me via PM.

+3

Last edited:

IsaacT

For what I got, two tries is A okay with me :) The way I see it, the price is already so good and the two shipping times together probably wouldn't have even added up to one shipping time from another company.

starting with IMO the crap outfit

WARNLASER( am I the only one who finds that name choice ODD- WARN as in WARN(ING) we are about to take your money and send you some crappy laser!)

5 ~ 80mW SWOT Series 473nm 'Special' Blue Laser

5mW -- ONLY -- 450$ (shipping, battery and MORE had better be free!!)
10 $550
20 $650
30 $750
50 $1000
80 only $1800
MUST be quite ='special'

.LaserGlow
IIRC form Canada and a company with a great rep. ( lasers are made in China)

473nm aqua. series

3 mW... $500
2-5 mW $550
2-9mW $600
10-19mW $650
40-59mW $900
60-79mW $1200

(**) ())))))))))))
BTW please read all return and warranty info at JL.org or you can read it at JOG the JL social group.
at the descretion of JL you may be offered a refund at any time - and NOT always new or better laser.
You are all special people and customers

none are 'more' special.

your mileage may vary.

AFAIK some lasers have a 6 month warranty.

Gary may some day be CEO at JL but ATM he must answer to his bosses.

I would like to see him around a long time.

PLEASE do not abuse his kindness. I personally would appreciate that.

hak
feel free to discuss anything on your mind with me via PM.

nice review Isaac- glad you got a keeper sorry it took two tries.

+3

Do I get a refund if my laser is not as kickass ?
jk but not rly jk

I mean.... 150mW from a 10-30mW series.
What if the one i recie ed was only pumping 30mW?

IsaacT

If it is doing 30mW you don't really have any room to ask for a refund as that is the output power they are claiming. Also, I will rarely get my laser to 150mW during actual usage because I keep my lasers on a conservative duty cycle. It takes a few minutes to get up to 150mW.

I do not think Gray will allow any more to be shipped to me or to any buyer that are less than 2X spec OR are ' super-slow climbers' --

BUT--- you cannot compare the preformance of this laser with ANY other wavelength or form factor.

its a mistake as we are taking apples and oranges-
even tho a 532 is ALSO DPSS they are NOT the same.

at the ILDA LSO course 2011 the instructor said this: 'to equal brightness of a 1W 455 blue laser it takes ONLY 35 mW of 532!!!!

all in that class let out an audible-- OH!!! - followed by 'what now? Say that again'

and these guys were not 'hobbiests' either. All are owners of VERY expensive full color projectors and beam tables.

apples and oranges i tell you.

Last edited:

IsaacT

It is amazing, it really is. I just compared 70mW 473 with 70mW 532. And let me tell you the 70mW 532 ate the 473 for breakfast simply due to how sensitive our eyes are. It was pretty impressive just how much brighter the 532 was.

PS - the one thing of note with regards to my replacement is that the extra battery barrel wasn't included for it. Not important to me since I like the standard one a lot better anyway, but something to note.

Last edited:

IsaacT

So I think I just discovered why my 473 is so dim. It appears that 45mW of the starting 65mW is IR output. I just placed my Eagle Pair 445/532 safety glasses in the path of the beam, and it brought the output down only 20mW. This is somewhat of a let down. Yes, the dot is a lot more visible than the previous one, but the actual 473 output is nowhere near the 70mW's it starts out with. Is there supposed to be that much IR? I never thought to try this until now because I saw a visible dot but after seeing how dim it was in comparison to the 532 at same output I thought something was fishy.

Any thoughts on this? :(

Last edited:
So I think I just discovered why my 473 is so dim. It appears that 45mW of the starting 65mW is IR output. I just placed my Eagle Pair 445/532 safety glasses in the path of the beam, and it brought the output down only 20mW. This is somewhat of a let down. Yes, the dot is a lot more visible than the previous one, but the actual 473 output is nowhere near the 70mW's it starts out with. Is there supposed to be that much IR? I never thought to try this until now because I saw a visible dot but after seeing how dim it was in comparison to the 532 at same output I thought something was fishy.

Any thoughts on this? :(

I don't think it's suppose to leak so much IR, well i'm certain that most 473nm handhelds don't have this much leakage.

But yeah, it was sold as a 30mW unit...

IsaacT

I measure 1.1-1.2A current draw at tailcap, so I am pretty sure that there is some sort of IR filter in the laser....maybe the filter is just not very good?

So basically the "sweet deal" we once thought was isn't very sweet.
In fact its a case of Swaski vs Glass

IsaacT

I am not sure what Swaski vs Glass is but yeah it isn't quite as good as I earlier believed. I wonder if any other 473 Pro owners have tried isolating the IR to see how much they get.

Well if there's an IR filter, it shouldn't be outputting anywhere near that much IR... unless there's like a 5W IR pump diode or something...

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, you are saying you put the goggles in front of the beam and the output was 20mW? Doesn't that indicate 20mW of IR? Also, remember that your goggles are NOT AR coated or anything, there's probably a rather significant loss due to reflection and such too. That being said... that is strange. Try placing your goggles over the beam when it is outputting around 150mW, is there any leakage then? Keep us posted

EDIT: Once I get mine, I'll run it through my IR filter and post results :beer:

Last edited:

IsaacT

No what I meant is that when I put my goggles in the beam the output of the IR is 45mW-50mW, leaving 473 output at 20mW.

No what I meant is that when I put my goggles in the beam the output of the IR is 45mW-50mW, leaving 473 output at 20mW.

But the difference between goggles and IR filter is that you can't really ensure the angle of incidence is close to zero enough .

I'll say its still just plus or minus a few dozen mW.
Indicative enough .

I am very surprized that these are unfiltered- makes no sense.

we need confirmation from JL on that but evidence already says no filter- and the glass up front does not look like a filter-- i bet there is a way to replqce that glass or add a filter to the front and Gray will send filters upon our request--as they SHOULD have already been there. About a year ago I got a beta JL green lab laser and it also had no filter - I sent id=t c back to JL and got a differennt labby that had a IR filter.
t Techhod Ebay sell a pair Of IR filters cheap that work well and are big enough-- seems like we could have caught this issue when the firsyt ones were delivered- not good -- disappointed.
I have let you all down-- sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.