Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers Pro PL-E 473 - An In Depth Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is active cooling and it is stuck on or if there is too much thermal resistance to the host it could cause an extremely long warm up period, but it would also appear as a Gaussian curve with the Po dropping off after it reaches optimum temp. This one just seems to level off after a while which is what properly running thermal loops do, albeit they take maybe a couple min, not 20min to do it in... unless the TEC drive isn't getting enough current or if there isn't enough hysteresis.

If it is just passively cooled then the only thing I can think of that would cause this is too much thermal capacitance in the host, but pre-heating the laser would reverse this effect.

Unless JL managed to hide a TEC inside there is no active cooling in them. Your laser is definitely screwed up. My bet is something whacked it in shipping and pooched the alignment. Like the others who recently bought the same laser have said mine is visible instantly. After a "cold" start it hits ~55mw in 15 seconds and if I do a 60-90 second warmup run first it'll hit 100mw in about 15 seconds as shown in my LPM graph.

Get ahold of Gray or Hak and they'll get you taken care of as that laser is definitely defective.

Last edited:

Encap

Let us know how it turns out.

Knowing Gray, I bet he sends you an exceptional example--a fine tuned and tweaked beauty of a replacement.

Yes, i agree there is something wrong with it coz it is really ridiculous for a portable to take 4-5 mins or longer to just warm up - the max timing for warm up is usually 1 minutes or less. So it is necessary for us to find out what's wrong with it and will get it replaced asap as well.
Sorry for this meladram. Thanks for everyone in helping analyze this. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG
Sorry that your laser had to be returned... I'm looking to get a PL-E Pro 473nm soon, hopefully I won't run into any issues :p

IsaacT

Jetlasers is a very standup company. If you buy their product you will have no worries.

Jetlasers is a very standup company. If you buy their product you will have no worries.

Their products are VERY pricey tho.

How do they stack up against CNI now?
Last I heard they said that their products are almost 40% more expensive than their competitors is because they are focusing on fiber coupled lasers atm.

Economy of scale I guess.

This raises a question.
We know they are 40% more expensive and we now know why .
However, what I don't know is... is it 40% better in terms of service quality, clarity , ease of purchase , customers protection via PayPal, etc.

All in all... is it worth it?

If you can choose again, would you have bought from CNI or JetLaser?

EDIT : If that offended anyone, I do apologize , but I was just asking the question as it is....

PS: Not really sure if that explanation was from SKY Laser or JetLaser :beer: so many companies from China these days eh?

Last edited:

IsaacT

320 dollars shipped for what I got is better than anything at CNI. Find me a 50mW+ 473nm portable laser for less than 320.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
What other Chinese Co. Would respond in such a timely manner, and offer to replace the defective unit ASAP.

To be honest, this makes me glad that I've bought J/L in the past, and would do it again!
Between Gray and Hak, IMO, they have the best customer service, bar none.

I gotta get one of those 473's.

Last edited:
I have nothing buy positive things to say about JetLasers. I would have already bought another laser from them if they had a wider wavelength selection in the PL-E Pro series. Dealing with Gray was excellent from a customer service experience and having hakzaw1 stateside to help out with things like shipping and support when Gray is busy really helps. Their prices during the group buy were fantastic.

wannaburnstuff just got unit that was malfunctioning (shipping or otherwise), but they are making it right...

JetLasers has a satisfied customer here and can expect great word of mouth recommendations from me.

c

I think $320 for a 50mW+ 473nm handheld is a steal... not sure where you got the 40% from :thinking:

And, they've got yet another LPF member willing to give them their money :D

Their products are VERY pricey tho.

How do they stack up against CNI now?
Last I heard they said that their products are almost 40% more expensive than their competitors is because they are focusing on fiber coupled lasers atm.

Economy of scale I guess.

This raises a question.
We know they are 40% more expensive and we now know why .
However, what I don't know is... is it 40% better in terms of service quality, clarity , ease of purchase , customers protection via PayPal, etc.

All in all... is it worth it?

If you can choose again, would you have bought from CNI or JetLaser?

EDIT : If that offended anyone, I do apologize , but I was just asking the question as it is....

PS: Not really sure if that explanation was from SKY Laser or JetLaser :beer: so many companies from China these days eh?

I posted this is hwang21's thread and I still stand by JL.

I was looking at both the CNI 473 and the JL 473 and ended up picking the JL for a couple reasons:

- Warranty JL 1 year, CNI 6 months.

- CNIs' PL-III-C host (what my 589 uses) is nice and hefty but the PL-E Pro from JL is a sexy beast.

- The service provided by Gray was top notch. Emails were answered within 12 hours which is awesome considering the time difference. In fairness I've never contacted CNI directly so I can't give a direct comparison.

- Price. To get one in the same guaranteed power range, 10-30mw would have cost $75 more in the recent CNI GB.

Honestly whichever company you buy from you'll end up with one helluva sweet laser.

CNI isn't perfect either. People have had issues with their lasers too. If I were going to plunk down the cash to order another 473nm right now I would have no problem getting another one from Gray. More than likely it was damaged in shipping sadly but as you can see Gray is standing behind their product and will almost certainly either repair or replace it.

If it seems like I'm ragging on CNI I don't mean to because I'd also have no problem buying another 589 from them based on the one I got from them. Both are good companies and will stand by their products. BTW CNI only accepts wire transfers and maybe western union but they do not take paypal. (Actually paypal prohibits the use of their service for purchasing lasers)

Hmmmm..... Interesting....
I think I know where I'll but my 589nm from when JetLasers start selling them

Encap

All of the photos of 473nm lasers look great very bright for low mw output. Visually how bright are the 473's compared to say 300mw 445nm or 100mw 532nm.
Does a 50mw or 100mw 473 actually have a very bright to the eye beam and dot as in photos of same?

Status
Not open for further replies.