Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jetlasers Green Laser IR Filter Question (Solved! 1.2W peak of green!)

I've seem a 3W thermal sensor get ruined by only 350mW when the spot size of the 350mW is only 1mm in diameter.

I don't think this is the cas, I got the 2W 445nm Frankenstein from DTR and using the dot the same size as the 532nm one I got the same results as DTR, range 1945-1960mW. And all my other lasers were previously tested in others LPMs with similiar results. If is there something wrong, I really don't know what is it.

And it isn't a 1.2W 532nm laser, as I said, this value is only a peak, good for less than a second. :) The average is 300Mw lower. But CNI told me that they're getting overspec handheld PL-C 532nm with constant output over 1.1W.

Want one like she got???
Gb#2 jetlasers IS NOW ON>PM Gray w/request

US and Canadian buyers- contact Gray(@JETLASERS) for the GB #2 (part 2) price on these-- IIRC I think they are 660$ plus $33 total for all shipping.

PM your price quote to me and I will add you to the list for GB#2.

It has a limit of 13 lasers.

ATM there are iirc 3 on the list now-
Two for arythna and one for AquariusLaser

You can request metering by Gray.

@Bootleg- her meter is brand new
Hi Len,
A new meter makes it even more suspect.
It could be user error or more likely a calibration change that often happens early on as new compnents get burned in so to speak; especially if it was a "hobbyist meter" that was bught a few hundred bucks or less as those are hand built and don't get NIST calibration.
So, she could verify that it's way over powered by trying to light a match at 25ft or so, and other burning experiments and report the time and distances.
I know it's good for your sales to have 1.2W reported, but it's an obvious mistake unless they went to using +3Watt diodes and the current draw is in the 3-4Amp range.
What did jetlasers report as the output power on her laser? That is probably more accurate a number.
Another thing I've seen is some meters will sometimes report a high peak/ spike when 1st turned on. Try doing a 3 minute trand / average, that will give a more accurate measurement as well.

OMG 1.2Watt green ? That laser is brighter than the 445 1.2W laser.

Blord, this laser is WAY BRIGHTER even than my 2W 445. No comparison here.

Want one like she got???
I wont make promotion with this slogan, you and Gray cant promise everyone ordering the 650mW model such an output

I agree with DJNY

Cheers.

Cheers.
Hi Regina,
No doubt, the human eye visual response is ~10x more at 532nm than at 445nm, so for a 445nm laser to appear as bright a 532nm laser, it has to be about 10x as powerful.

enjoy

3 minutes run:
23k9raf.jpg

I has some mode hopping. From time to time it hops from TEM00 to TEM10 and back. The beam is not the tighest but it is VERY visible even in a lit room.

Cheers

DJNY

Mode hopping is TOTALLY normal at high powered lasers.

I am looking forward to your review + pics :drool:

ZRTMWA

That is an absolutely ridiculously high powered laser! Congrats on that steal

I wont make promotion with this slogan, you and Gray cant promise everyone ordering the 650mW model such an output ;)
Did I use the word 'promise'?
you can request a metering before you order. And they will be 'like' the one Regina got- but we all know that no two are EXACTLY alike.

Hi Len,
A new meter makes it even more suspect.
It could be user error or more likely a calibration change that often happens early on as new compnents get burned in so to speak; especially if it was a "hobbyist meter" that was bught a few hundred bucks or less as those are hand built and don't get NIST calibration. She said it was 'calibriated'.
So, she could verify that it's way over powered by trying to light a match at 25ft or so, and other burning experiments and report the time and distances.
I know it's good for your sales

ITS a GB so its not MY sales. They pay exactly the amt that Gray gets and less on shipping. I do not work for JETLASERS---------------------

to have 1.2W reported, but it's an obvious mistake unless they went to using +3Watt diodes and the current draw is in the 3-4Amp range.
What did jetlasers report as the output power on her laser?

To get the answer to that you will need to ask Regina or Gray.

That is probably more accurate a number.
Another thing I've seen is some meters will sometimes report a high peak/ spike when 1st turned on. Try doing a 3 minute trand / average, that will give a more accurate measurement as well.

AND she used the words 'peak' and 'average' so dont take my word for it.

I agree with DJNY

Cheers.

Mode hopping is TOTALLY normal at high powered lasers.

I am looking forward to your review + pics :drool:

I wouldn't call it mode hopping. More like multi-mode operation.
To get >400mW out of a DPSS portable, you can almost guarantee that it will not be in TEM00.

High order modes mean more power, and in a compact assembly the cavity can't be as complex as a lab set-up, so constant TEM00 will be difficult to achieve.
The laser most likely operates in multiple modes that will overlap or shift slightly, giving a gaussian profile, even if not perfectly circular.
This is how my PGL behaves. Unless the profile is closely observed, it is hard to tell that it is not TEM00.

That 1.2W peak is incredible, but given a big enough pump, I think it could be feasible.
CNI and Viasho use 2.5W pumps in their higher power DPSS portables (not sure about the >1W version from CNI, I'll ask). I would guess that this laser is getting ~3W of pump power for >800mW average. A 2.5W pump wouldn't be able to do it.

ixfd64

In optimal conditions, Nd:YVO4 and KTP can be up to 60% and 80% efficient, respectively. So 0.6 * 0.8 * 2.5 W = 1.2 W.

Of course, a laser isn't going to operate in a perfect state all the time, but a peak of 1.2 watts wouldn't be totally unrealistic. I remember that Laserglow had a Hercules that peaked at 1.1 watts a few years ago, which was before the company the company had the >600 mW models. That laser actually set a Guinness record.

Last edited:
I request a measurement of current.

In optimal conditions, Nd:YVO4 and KTP can be up to 60% and 80% efficient, respectively.

That's probably with TEC stabilized temps on all 3 components, and portables have little/no temp stabilization.

Reginak,

May I suggest that you find someone to ship the laser to for metering? Several members here have professional grade LPMs for lab use etc.. Perhaps that, and a reading from a spectrometer would solve what is happening.

Hey guys, sorry i'm not keeping the test result of this particular laser at the moment since it's been a long time and no two tested are all alike. I'm sure it's no problem with >600mw or 650mw stable output. To reach a peak power of 800mw or a bit higher is also normal.

Hey Regina, you can also check if your LPM is well calibrated for 532nm.

I agree that for a 2.5w diode, 50% - 60% of the pumping efficiency is not all infeasible, while 40% is sometimes achieved well but it also counts on the "luck". :)

I also saw that the mode hopping, more or less, happens in the 500mw+ lasers shipped out here and it's always a worthy try to improve the beam mode and quality.

The duty cycle of 500mw+ ones is also 'discounted' :) for sure and i guess one or two mins' continuous working might heat the laser up easily. I tested a 100mw PL-C green laser last week and left it on for around 25 mins. It worked well but the laser front was really heated up.

Last edited:

nospin

The meters are calibrated again at shipment time at 405nm
With at most a 1% difference at other wavelengths is typical
So the thermopile is very flat across the spectrum and all power
will be measured regardless of wavelength

Fantastic Green laser