Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob's 3W 445 Phaser Hot Kit

First review. First Build.

I knew I was going to lay down some serious cash, so I decided I would go all the way and ordered a phaser hot kit from Jayrob that would accommodate a diode capable of reaching 3+ Watts.

After extensive back and forth conversations with JR, I ordered a kit with the following:

Playmates brand Phaser model
Custom copper heat sink
X-drive buck set at 2.1A with copper sinking
2 X 3 volt regulators for sound board and arming indicator light
405-G-1 glass lens
2 X AW 14500 protected Li-Ion cells (won't cause damage from low power)

I also ordered a diode from DTR on JR's advice:
Nichia NDB7875 445nm 9mm with built in ESD protection

Jayrob was a pleasure to deal with. He took the time to answer all of my questions and ensured I had both an excellent product and experience. I would certainly do business with him again and highly recommend him to any buyer. He informed me it would take 3 weeks for him to prepare my kit as he wanted to ensure quality, and that's exactly what I got. I'll be sending some reputation his way ASAP.

Now for the pics:

The phaser came well packed
IMG_0425 (800x600).jpg

The unit was bubble wrapped and included the 2 protected cells as well as the spare, original phaser parts.
IMG_0426 (800x600).jpg

In the shop and ready to build
IMG_0427 (800x600).jpg

First the nozzle cap and EzFocus adaptor were removed as well as all screws. The housing then easily came apart exposing the internal electronics and copper sink
IMG_0429 (800x600).jpg

I removed the AixiZ housing that came with the kit (used by JR to align the focus adapter) from the sink by loosening the tightening screw and it slid right out. However, after removing the barrel from DTR's diode module, I couldn't get the front piece to fit in the sink. It was a few microns too big. No problem. I used a file to shave a thin layer off and it went in nice and slick.
IMG_0430 (800x600).jpg

I then soldered the leads from the installed X-Drive to the leads from DTR's diode, reassembled the housing and donned my Args from OEM Laser Systems. These are OD7+ and are a must at this power level
IMG_0432 (800x600).jpg

Success!! I'm elated!
IMG_0433 (800x600).jpg

My nightshots were awful so I'm not posting those. Additionally, I'm under an international flyway and because its a cloudy night, I didn't dare fire into the sky as I couldn't tell if there were any aircraft in the vicinity. Too dangerous and not worth risking lives, a jail sentence, or increasing the chances of jeopardizing our hobby. I did capture this one shot of me firing at my deck. The moment the beam hit it began to smoke and char and the strong smell of burning wood immediately filled the air. This is one potent little puppy. I'd hate to be the Klingon staring down this barrel from the other direction
IMG_0437 (800x600).jpg

The link to Jay's build page can be found here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-star-trek-phaser-hot-option-individual-parts-46946.html

Check it out.

I'm thinking I may like to order a 532nm parts kit and assemble the whole thing myself. We'll see. Perhaps when I've got a few more builds under my belt.

Jayrob's phaser hot kit gets an A+ from this first-time builder. It was easy and a lot of fun and I'm thrilled with the final product. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants a high-end product with a powerhouse diode. Trekkers would especially go nuts over this (where is my Starfleet command uniform?)

Well, that's it. I hope you enjoyed the review. Cheers and happy building!

Zircarg

tumblr_mdjz52dWCT1rhigl0o1_500.jpg

Something like that... :gj:

~ LB

These things are soo cool. Too bad I'm not a star trek fan. Now I would definitely buy a blaster with an automatic cut off for short bursts. :)

jayrob

Glad your build went well... :cool:

Thanks for the review! +rep

DTR

Ditto what Jay said. Looks like it came out great.:beer:

Well, it just goes to show...one should never make a statement about the wattage one's new laser has achieved until one actually measures it...one might end up with egg on his face!

I made an assumption that this phaser, designed to hit 3 watts, was actually just that...3 watts. I pulled out my 2.5 LPM tonight just for the fun of it thinking that it was beside the point because the phaser would go off the chart. To my dismay, it only registered 2 watts!! Argh!!

I was shocked because I was so sure I had achieved the 3W I was shooting for. Just goes to show..never assume. Lesson learned.

I guess I should have had the driver set well above 2.1A, and perhaps I also ended up with a lower performance diode.

Now I guess I'll do another build and aim for the 3W using greater amperage and perhaps a G2 lens instead of the G1.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phaser and its a great burner, and it'll probably have a much longer life cycle now. I just had myself psyched up for 3 watts.

Sigh. Now I have to face the music...and change my signature to show the phaser at 2W.

Next time!!

My 9mm is running at 2.1A and it peaks over 3W with an average around 2.8. Id bet you get closer to 2.5W with a G2. Also, like you've mentioned, it most likely is an inefficient diode. That heatsink is small for 3W though and you would have a terrible duty cycle.

Yeah, live and learn.

I may try a G2 when I get ahold of one and see what I get then.

That is a really cool laser and review! I've thought about getting one myself too, but alas, no.

Enjoy your phaser..Don't chase the 3W. Enjoy it until you can get one with the new 5W 638!

JayRob and DTR are great guys and I love doing business with them.

DTR

G-1/G-2 should not matter much. Both lenses on average pass the same with very small variations from lens to lens. If the heatsink is small that may be a contributing factor to the output. Also keep in mind Speedy's diode is extremely efficient probably in the top 5%. Average for these @ 2.1A is 2.5W.

For most of these diodes to hit 3W you need to run them well over suggested currents. Around 2.4A will get about 50% of them to 3W with some coming in as high as 3.2W and the lower efficiency ones around 2.7W. But keep in mind anything over 2.2A is assumed to shorten the life of the diode. And heat management plays a huge role in this as well with these currents.

Most the really high outputs like 3.5W+ you see are being generated by 2.56A drivers and they are accepting the shorter life for the chance to get that high of an output.:beer:

jayrob

Yes second DTR...

G1/G2 = exact same output power.

The difference is in diode efficiency.

I know that some are pushing these 9mm diodes to 2.4 Amps and some even a little more, but for the sake of longevity, your probably better off at 2.1 Amps.

In some cases I know that some high efficiency diodes can still reach 3 Watts with 2.1 Amps.

But I have a 9mm diode that is 2.4 Watts at 2.1 Amps. (9mm diode stock lens)

I'm guessing that this is more the normal output...

Last edited:
Yeah, the beam is tight, but it displays a bit of a wing flare on the upper right-hand side where yours is perfectly rounded (which looks great). I guess this means nothing really, but I did wonder if this might have something to do with reduced power output. It obviously has something to do with the diode itself because there is no obstruction in the path of the beam that I can determine.

I'll be starting a new 445 project soon with a stainless steel host and dual 1.1A drivers. It's a larger host with copper sink so hopefully I'll get an efficient diode with greater output.

BTW, thanks for your comments all. I'd spread some rep around but I guess I have to get to 50 posts before that becomes meaningful.