Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ir laser comparison

pms12

hi guys,

new to this forum. anyway, after reading some threads, i have a question regarding getting a good 808nm ir portable laser. my purpose is for star/sky gazing, so i will only use it at infinity distances. i know that you can't see ir with your eyes very well and so i will be using a night vision monocular to help me see the laser beam. keep in mind i'm only interested in ir lasers and i do not wish to buy a regular green/red laser. the output power i'm interested in is ideally somewhere between 300-500mw. i take it having ir glasses won't be too useful for me at this distance and for this purpose?

so far, i've narrowed it down to these two lasers:
skylaser 808nm IR Portable Lasers | SKYlasers

laserglow's Scorpius-D IR Portable Laser
http://www.laserglow.com/GSD

this thread states that skylaser are not a good company:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/guide-buying-your-first-green-laser-30608.html

even though this reviewer praised his skylaser:
SKYlasers.net 300mW Portable Laser Review @ JWC.blog

this user also seems to think skylasers are good:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/c...stores-pros-cons-tested-not-lasers-49009.html

at this point, it seems like the skylaser i have chosen is a better deal than the laserglow one. i'm not too sure about spending an additional $400 if the quality isn't that much better. the additional output isn't absolutely necessary for me either.

if you guys can help me out in selecting a good one, i'd appreciate it!

oh, are these the best ir glasses to get if i do need to get some?
Laser Glasses - Infrared (IR) protection 1064nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

thanks!

hi guys,

new to this forum. anyway, after reading some threads, i have a question regarding getting a good 808nm ir portable laser. my purpose is for star/sky gazing, so i will only use it at infinity distances. i know that you can't see ir with your eyes very well and so i will be using a night vision monocular to help me see the laser beam. keep in mind i'm only interested in ir lasers and i do not wish to buy a regular green/red laser. the output power i'm interested in is ideally somewhere between 300-500mw. i take it having ir glasses won't be too useful for me at this distance and for this purpose?

so far, i've narrowed it down to these two lasers:
skylaser 808nm IR Portable Lasers | SKYlasers

laserglow's Scorpius-D IR Portable Laser
http://www.laserglow.com/GSD

this thread states that skylaser are not a good company:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/guide-buying-your-first-green-laser-30608.html

even though this reviewer praised his skylaser:
SKYlasers.net 300mW Portable Laser Review @ JWC.blog

this user also seems to think skylasers are good:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/c...stores-pros-cons-tested-not-lasers-49009.html

at this point, it seems like the skylaser i have chosen is a better deal than the laserglow one. i'm not too sure about spending an additional $400 if the quality isn't that much better. the additional output isn't absolutely necessary for me either.

if you guys can help me out in selecting a good one, i'd appreciate it!

oh, are these the best ir glasses to get if i do need to get some?
Laser Glasses - Infrared (IR) protection 1064nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

thanks!

Something sounds fishy about your intentions....:undecided:

Star pointing is done to show someone else what you
are referencing and pointing to... That means at least
2 Night Vision Goggles..

Who in their right mind would bu an IR Laser and 2 sets
of Night Vision Goggles to Star Point when it can be done
with one (1) 532 nm lower powered Laser...:thinking:

Call me skeptical... but something doesn't smell quite
right...:whistle:

Jerry

pms12

ha ha. i appreciate you skepticism although you didn't help me with my question.

i'm not using this to point to stars for the benefit of others. this is for myself. part of my setup includes the monocular and a camcorder to take notes of what i'm seeing. part of the reason i don't want a regular laser is i live next door to "nosy" neighbors, some of whom i don't know, who always wonder what i'm doing. since i'm out at night, and i frequently travel around town to get good viewpoints, i don't want a visible green beam moving around in the sky attracting unwanted attention. having to explain myself to others each time i'm outside becomes bothersome. it is quite understandable given their suspicion but i'd rather try out an ir laser and see if this will make it more convenient for me. if this still seems fishy to you, that's fine. i would then ask others of this forum who are willing to help me out given my fishy behavior. :p

thanks!

I'm glad you seem understanding with the skepticism.
The fact is that this hobby is one that is easy to abuse and the consequences of abuse are severe. This is why some of us here tend to be a bit hostile to new members.

Please understand that you are asking for a LOT of power. Furthermore, being invisible, the danger is increased.
You must be extremely cautious when using any laser of this power level.

Anyway, to answer your question:

I believe one of the members here, Daguin, is offering an 800mW Scorpius D in the Buy, Sell, Trade section. I don't recall the name of his thread but it should not be hard to find.

One thing to consider, though, is that an IR laser of this power will use a multimode diode, which means the divergence angle will be pretty large. This may or may not affect it's capabilities as a star pointer.

If you would like another option, try these:

aixiz.com StoreFront

aixiz.com StoreFront

These modules are low cost, near IR and are very compact. 100-150mW should be sufficient for your needs and they will have better divergence than a high power Scorpius.
All that is required is a 3.2V power source. Just connect batteries and you will have power.
They will also be easy to mount in an enclosure or a small flashlight or pen type host.

You may be able to commission someone here to build you such a device for a reasonable price.

daguin

I just reduced the price as well ($275)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/daguins-epic-sale-48162.html

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

Peace,
dave

Grix

Definately go for Daguin's laser. What a bargain!

pms12

thanks for the suggestions guys.

i will contact daguin to find out more info about his laser.

i will also look into the alternate models you suggested, RA_pierce.

Man, that scorpius is CHEAP!!! Ive been keeping an eye on it, now im really tempted, but I just dont know what I'd do with 800mW of IR.

Zephyr

Something sounds fishy about your intentions....:undecided:

Star pointing is done to show someone else what you
are referencing and pointing to... That means at least
2 Night Vision Goggles..

Who in their right mind would bu an IR Laser and 2 sets
of Night Vision Goggles to Star Point when it can be done
with one (1) 532 nm lower powered Laser...:thinking:

Call me skeptical... but something doesn't smell quite
right...:whistle:

Jerry

Perfect explanation:

ZapU

Why are you pulling up old threads?
Second one today. (that I've seen)

ignoring the necro post
So your saying someone here is an alien?!
Is it the sky gazer? Or maybe that odd guy in a miner hat! Why does he need a light on his head ready at a moments notice?
And Why pray tell does Dave feel the need to protect his head? Whats under that hat!

Zephyr

Why are you pulling up old threads?

I found it interesting and because I wasn't here when it was first started.

ignoring the necro post
So your saying someone here is an alien?!

I thought lasersbee's response was interesting. Ya kinda gotta watch all three parts to get it but I see they have embedding disabled. Ah well.