Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

iPad 3!

Wait... you mean standing in line with a bunch of pretentious hipsters does NOT sound like the best time you've ever had? Are you sure you're Apple material? A person that deserves to own an Apple product would value the time spent with their peers.. And don't forget, the Apple "geniuses" are literally the smartest, most educated computer experts on earth.. when I have questions about how to run the IT dept here at my hospital I immediately go to the Apple store to ask a "genius".

Also, I'm not sure you are aware, but simply buying an Apple product is the equivalent of years of computer science education from respected universities, AND qualifies you as an Apple customer to tell anyone who has a computer science related degree that they don't know what they're talking about with regards to computers.

Really though, before Apple created the modern Macintosh system, computers were made of adobe and straw, and would only function correctly on every odd thursday after 4PM. That alone should be more that sufficient reason to blindly laud the company and the most highly educated retail staff ever to grace the floor of a retail establishment in the history of the world..

i actually like standing in line. the final hours before getting a new revelotionised product:)
Even better, in my country im usally customer nr1 who gets the new idevice. i am there before it arrives, usally 3 hours before the store opens or so.
glad i can permit 3 hours, wouldnt work in the US lol.

People camp out overnight for stuff like this here in the US. It will be a cold day in hell before you'll find me there though..

Last edited:
I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for the latest piece of iCrap. I like PC's more than Macs anyways... but the iPad is really the best device out there for ultra light/portable light computing needs. It has great battery life, great support, and they are built for retards/idiots... err I mean, apple consumers to be able to use. Zero learning curve! But I'll probably shop around for suitable android tablets, too. I wouldn't mind paying less for a non-apple product if it can still do what I need it to.

However, some things are certain:

I'm not waiting in line for more than 30 minutes, I won't be drinking a latte, there will be no tight jeans or sweater vests, I won't be listening an obscure band through my earbuds, nor will I will be carrying an obscure pistol or caliber.

If I end up turning into a hipster because I bought an iPad someone's getting a beating.

Last edited:
People camp out overnight for stuff like this here in the US. It will be a cold day in hell before you'll find me there though..

yeah in know i keep in touch with news like that. there was a moron in the US wich camped before the apple store while apple didnt even announce the new iphone. talking about being crazy. he also eventually gave up lol.

@Lazybeam: get a android. its made for people who like to mess around to get things working properly after all :) thats not something for me :D

IDK.. never had to "mess around" with a single thing on my Android phone.. I love it, but to be fair I've only used iphones a few times for work purposes.. based on those times I prefer Android but I didn't explore every feature of the iphones..

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
My only major complaint about my Android was that it came with a bunch of crapware apps that couldn't be deleted. I ended up rooting it so I could delete them. Although I could have just left them there and it wouldn't have mattered much.

Last edited:
i owned a evo 3d and a optimus 3d. both were crap. needed restarts, crashes sometimes, what elektro said also true; they came with crapware, only deletable when rooted.
I couldnt get rid of burnedin browser bookmarks unless i rooted and then still it was a pain.
Browser was not smooth. Camera's were crappy as well, although some androids does have good cameras. Also the processor and ram power, i couldnt see shit of that. the menu's in both phones(although evo3d worse) were on the laggy side even with custom roms and my old 3gs would beat that with alot less power.
The evo3d and optimus3d had both camera's "sticking out of them" wich made them scratch easily. the evo3d shipped with dust between the camera lens and glass or something. in every photo there was a kind of mark.
I had problems removing the microsd card from the evo3d.
Alot of apps had compability problems. Gameloft games always wanted to install to the build in memory, not to the sd card. there was a hack to make this install to microsd but was a pain and didnt work on all. In google maps i was getting stopid messages about turning on wifi. i can hit the box to "not display this message again" but it doesnt listen to me. Both phones had terrible battery life versus my iphone 4 i had back then.
both devices had crappy volume buttons.
terrible audio quality, both on speakers and earphones.
Bulky, but i guess thats also because the 3d.
the optimus 3d had a crappy backlight. it wouldnt stay on even when using a app.
and when i turned it on, the whole phone became ultra laggy. like the backlight also used 9/10th of CPU. the evo3d did fairly well with this.
I see everywhere parts that are copied over from iphone. in optimus 3d it was really like a clone lol.

Also a funny fact is that a family member once showed me a new video she made. I clicked the play button and android crashed. Thats the first time i held her phone to just watch the video. It got into the menu after waiting, but she couldnt start any app anymore. a restart fixed it though.

All the problems are above are mixed. they come from both devices together. so maybe if you have a evo3d i said a problem occuring on the optimus 3d.

honest good parts about android:
immediately and highly customisable, and failry quick jailbreakable usally.
Flash.
the 3d phones's 3d function were both quite cool on both devices. id say they both are as good as each other. the optimus 3d has clearer and more depth 3d, although the higher resolution on the evo3d made the 3d really blink out. on the optimus 3d it was like all lined out photos. you can see the lines ect.
Good key imput, although iphone is still better.

Honestly about iphone:
it doesnt got a proper bluetooth functionaily. headsets with stereo connect to the iphone as a "talk" device, wich means the sound doesnt get full glory. There's a workaround for this, but when you apply this workaround and you get a call your iphone will use the microphone in the iphone itself, until you select the bluetooth device in your phone screen. cant predefine and make it remember that because we're using a workaround.
the iphone is not customisable...but i find that a weak argument since im always jailbreaking it when its possible, wich unlocks the customising power.
And itunes is a big downside. itunes is crap. Although iOS5 made it much better to use the iphone with itunes.
But thats honestly all i can think of downsides.
It just works 100%. without trouble, errors, pain or flaws.(exept the bluetooth, fix it apple!) (and restoring is hard but thats only when youre a jailbreaker like me)

Ah finally got my apple vs android story out lol! im not a i-fanboy for no reason:)

Last edited:
iphone - smart phone for those who aren't great at technology. What is great about the iPhone is that anybody can pick one up and use ALL the features.

Android OS is an OS for the more advanced. Less technologically inclined people will still be able to do what they want to do, but more experienced people will also be able to do what they want as well.

Apple hardware is beautiful to look at. Look at the line of components they use, all name brands. Look at the engineering details. Look at the board layout. They are a cut above the rest. However, the hardware will become obsolete long before it fails. In a normal scenario, this would not be profitable unless you jack up your prices. Add to those higher prices the marketing that is in some way responsible for the crowds of Apple followers and you've got quite a unique and profitable getup.

But yeah, my point is that Apple stuff is well made and a cut above the rest, but you are still paying more than you should. If you can afford it, go for it. If you are watching your money, you can get a cheaper PC at a lower cost and it will still go obsolete in the same amount of time.

IDK.. never had to "mess around" with a single thing on my Android phone.. I love it, but to be fair I've only used iphones a few times for work purposes.. based on those times I prefer Android but I didn't explore every feature of the iphones..
Well, I had a Windows phone and an recently an android phone and yes, it worked well until an update came and bricked it. The software works fine until it runs into a bug... there is nothing but massive headaches after that. I lost the camera function, then it was intermittent camera issues and no sound... then no touch response. Finally I sent to phone back to the shop a Galaxy IIS and neither the shop nor a technician from KT (korea telecom) couldn't get it working. I changed to an Iphone 4S.. no problems since.
Other people have had simular issues with Android, it's just not well tested nor sorted out. There isn't a universal Android and every phone needs a brand of Android which makes it less unified. Our techs here at LG explain what a nightmare it is to deal with Android as an OS. Android is an OS for people who like to say they are more advanced, but are the same ones who back a few months later after their phone bricks up.
iOS also has it's issues, but at least it has been properly tested. It works and works extremely well. Much more complex as an OS to program for.

Last edited:
Android is an OS for people who like to say they are more advanced, but are the same ones who back a few months later after their phone bricks up.

I've never had an android device "brick up" in 3 years of usage on various devices.

iOS also has it's issues, but at least it has been properly tested. It works and works extremely well.

On one set of hardware. NOT hard to do compared to trying to ensure compatibility across a wide range of hardware..

Much more complex as an OS to program for.

Not so much really for the reason I just mentioned above.. well at least not as much of a compatibility challenge

15chars.............

Last edited:
part of apple's secret sauce is the fact that all the hardware is either the same or very similar. If you look at it as a pro instead of a con, you see that it makes troubleshooting a piece of cake. It also makes it easier for them to do quality testing.

part of apple's secret sauce is the fact that all the hardware is either the same or very similar. If you look at it as a pro instead of a con, you see that it makes troubleshooting a piece of cake. It also makes it easier for them to do quality testing.

Whether it's a pro or a con depends on the user's skill level I think..

I always regarded that as a con for the consumer, especially when it meant that, in the past, you couldn't use generic drivers for such things as video cards and such, and had to rely on Apple to supply them. It's still like that to some extent when running Bootcamp with their outdated versions of drivers. I guess I like the freedom of choice over relying on Apple, even if they're pretty good at it.

Having complete control over the hardware also traditionally meant that Apple could charge more for their hardware because of a lack of competition. It has changed somewhat since they've switched to the x86 architecture, but also simply because of outside competition. Their products are actually pretty reasonably priced these days.