Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introducing STINGRAY-3 Development of the "Hercules killer"

Milos

STINGRAY-3 and the anamorphic lens upgrade

PROJECT STINGRAY 3

g1V8p.jpg

This is something little I've been working on this winter. Work is still in progress, but the hard part is done. This idea I had ever since my Stingray-2 days (http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/introducing-stingray-ii-my-new-diy-series-20145.html) when I was building them almost every day. Times have changed for me, but laserholic inside me hasn't. So i decided to work on building the best portable laser i can build.

The idea was to:

1. Build a portable test bed laser for diodes and drivers (so it has to be easily upgradeable)
2. Capable of handling future diodes, (which means major fan cooled heat sink, and DrLava's FlexModP3 driver, and lots of battery juice such as two 32600 lithium rechargeables)
3. Safety features such as a key switch (adding more in the future)
4. Strong build so it can fall anytime anywhere and not damage.
5. Constant ON, as well as momentary on/off switch in one.

The only size limit I set for it was to make it smaller than Laser Glow's Hercules, which is the only other FAN COOLED portable laser i know of. It just had to be smaller than IT. And look better than a baseball bat. Well it will be one whole inch shorter, and quite slimmer !! And a lot better fan cooling-I bet!

Thats the plan.
Work is still in progress as i only have about 1 hour a week (not every weak) to work on it)

Here is a bit on the design.
- You can see the resemblance I kept from Stingray-2 shape.
- A lot of thought was put into air flow which hits diode directly in the back, and than out through 8 small holes, as well as 8 larger holes that take heat off the heat sink out front. Fan is a 40mmx10mmm mounted in front of the switch, and will blow air from right behind the driver forward towards the heat sink holes. As air comes out of the front of the laser, it will help dust stay away from the lens. Front lens ring was just a last minute idea which i liked and will keep. Ring is very solid and stiff fit supported by lens threads and thick rubber o-ring in the front.

Other modifications are:
- I had to extend the body to fit two big-ars D-Sized Lithium-ion rechargeables (32600).
- Threaded hole on the front accepts aixiz module threads for easy replacement of diodes inserted in aixiz modules.
- I also milled out small round hole so it can fit a bigger rectangular on/off switch. When pushed forward stays on, and when pressed backward act as momentary switch.
- Added mounting plate on the bottom with 1/4-20 and 3/8 standard threads formounting options.
- Machined off rounded end of back cap and added 6mm thick steel flat ring arround key switch. Now laser can sit on its back end on the table.
- Added locating pin and a groove for easier dissemblance when i want to take it apart.
- Spray painted everything behind anodized front end with two primer, and two coat semi gloss black paint.
- Made a new stand combining a round base mic stand with camera ball arm mount, with quick release plate. Painted same as laser.

The whole heat sink assembly is very solid and tight in tolerances. Outer ring fits main heat sink very tightly (less than 0.1mm) and is joined together wih 4 steel screws with helicoil thread holes. All of it was type-3 anodized. All quite heavier than i expected.

Oh, the flashlight i used was Twintask 2D just because i liked it better than Meglite, and it needed to be 2D sized battery compartment.

Let me know what you think..

cheers
9qJGr.jpg

mhv61h.jpg

qugJfh.jpg

QU6c8h.jpg

ykDWch.jpg

Qf4kPh.jpg

S05rFh.jpg

73UInh.jpg

MNZnjh.jpg

3KiOvh.jpg

RZasoh.jpg

Aonsvh.jpg

It was a small round hole which I milled out to accomodate new on/off switch
2q9UPh.jpg

Body had to be extended to accomodate longer protected Li-Ion Rechargeable 3260 batteries
6JOwih.jpg

gC9iZ.jpg

U2Y6Kh.jpg

Safety key switch installed. Key can be removed when switched on !
AkCKyh.jpg

Improved air funneling on the back
FnFrYh.jpg

kmBWWh.jpg

MORE PHOTOS BELOW

Last edited:

At first I was like, "Wow, that thing is big."

Then I was like, "Holy cow it's got a fan!"

:gj:

WOW, that's crazy...
I Can't wait to see that thing finished
+1 for such a great build!

Blord

It looks very good. I like beefy host. It give a feel of substantial laser. Nice job !

Nice host mate, good work cheers! :beer: I can't wait to see more of these ;) +1 :D

Nice looking setup, I love the RPG look. Got a question though, where did you put the air inlet holes for the fan?

Last edited:

Milos

Thanks a lot guys! Its been a long time since i worked on something for myself like this. I was really shooting for the basic look of the old and much smaller Stingray-2 (link in first post)
Air inlets aren't in place yet. They will be in rear conical area. I haven't decided yet where and what shape to make them. There needs to be enough of them too, so i have to think how to avoid making it look bad. I've been spending my spare time lately on modding my old Kenometer to 10W capability.

Jerry, you can see now why I needed that 10W LPM mod. By the way, its ready to fly to you on Monday for calibration. Thanks again for making it possible!!

Last edited:
Badass! This is the best BIG laser I've seen.

However... in order to be a "Hercules Killer" I think it would need to be able to contain and cool a Class IV DPSSL! ;)

Maybe one day I'll get back into DIY lasers and see if I can miniaturize one of those CNI PGL-H-532 modules... that is, if Wannaburn doesn't beat me to it (or DPSS becomes obsolete).

Great work, though. I'll look forward to seeing it finished.

Last edited:
This is a awesome Build. Top Quality Machining.

Looking forward to see it Alive.:wave:

Milos

Yes, Hercules is DPSS and I will probably not look forward to installing DPSS module in this guy just because I want highest power i can get portable, and stable at it.

People told me more than once i should try being more aggressive for a change, so i made a bit of a cocky title. Might not fit me too well :) It will be stronger and more powerful portable laser with better fan cooling than Hercules, while smaller in size. That's the goal.

Good point though. Cooling for Hercules more necessary than for our 445nm diodes though, so question is: Are those 1mm holes in two places only 1-2cm apart intakes and exhaust on Hercules, or only intakes, and air comes out elsewhere? Does anyone know? Cant see that being great air flow inside unless it is there to cool TEC.
Peltier is not advertised on Hercules, only fan cooling.

curious..

Last edited: