Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!!

Gazoo

Re: INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!

I think we would be better off focusing our attention elsewhere IMO. For example, maybe we cold find a safe way to harvest the open can diodes from the Pioneer 112D burner. Or find where to get them and if the price is right do a GB on them. I am currently running mine at 600ma's and it puts out a bit more than 300mw's. And the burner costs less than these diodes. I would think about buying an open can at $40.00 a pop more then I would these diodes. Sorry I feel this way but it is something I have wanted to point out for awhile.

Otherwise, and I have said it before, the SenKat diodes are the very best deal we have going for us at present. Even though I have my open can labby, I still love the SenKat diode and I play with mine all the time. And the beam specs are a bit better than the open can.

well what if a few of us that are really interested chip in some cash so that DDL can get his hands on a physical unit to test drive for us? I know i'd be willing to through in at least $5-$10 for the cause. that was not one person is out a ton of money. and if it works, that would cause alot more people to want to join once the numbers have been verified. I know i'd personally trust, DDL, SenKat, Gazoo, Timelord and Kenom since all of them have been incredibly helpful to all of us.

If this is something someone wants to do let us know. I think you'll be surprised as the response.

Kenom

Archane said:
well what if a few of us that are really interested chip in some cash so that DDL can get his hands on a physical unit to test drive for us? I know i'd be willing to through in at least $5-$10 for the cause. that was not one person is out a ton of money. and if it works, that would cause alot more people to want to join once the numbers have been verified. I know i'd personally trust, DDL, SenKat, Gazoo, Timelord and Kenom since all of them have been incredibly helpful to all of us.

If this is something someone wants to do let us know. I think you'll be surprised as the response.

We've already done that. cost us $200 a diode to get.

Daedal

Actually $200 for 2 diodes...

One diode's output was graphed and is available in the review section. The other one is still waiting... :-[

I want that next one to get a full autopsy. I'm going to test the current at a specific voltage (as pseudo suggested) and compare it with the AixiZ diodes. Then I will also test the output at a specific current and compare it with the AixiZ and see how they compare... There will also be a test for the lasing threshold, the output beam characteristics, the pattern of the diode... etc.

Not to mention, this second diode will also be pushed to death just like the other one. A new TEC has been made for this purpose, and the results should definitely be conclusive. :)

Hope this covers it all.

On the other hand, Gazoo's suggestion to gather up a GB on the burners might be a batter idea. Maybe you should look into that Gazoo ;)

I'm personally not very satisfied with the supplier and have been asking very far and wide for a replacement supplier and still come up empty-handed. If a better source with comparable diodes and a better datasheet is available, I would have found them by now (one would think)... :(

--DDL

DDL --

After reading all this, I say drop the dingbats. Technology will pass by them and they will dump them for a dime on the dollar. For now the SenKat diodes are a challenge for many and provide real good results for the money. Go back in a couple months and say "remember me ??" ;D

Mike

Daedal

Good point Mike... and I find it hard to really resist the urge to have these powerful diodes, but honestly cannot justify the price yet.

Maybe by the new year some new prices could be had and a better deal could come up :)

--DDL

Gazoo

Daedal said:
On the other hand, Gazoo's suggestion to gather up a GB on the burners might be a batter idea. Maybe you should look into that Gazoo ;)
--DDL

I really didn't mean a GB on the burners but rather the open can diodes. The problem is nobody can find any information on them.... much less where we could get them... :(

Daedal

IF I could ever find the open can diodes I'm sure they'll be about half the price of the regular orders we do now, but then again, the minimum order might be in the thousands... :-[

--DDL

I'd be interested in one of those.

jayrob

I want that next one to get a full autopsy. I'm going to test the current at a specific voltage (as pseudo suggested) and compare it with the AixiZ diodes. Then I will also test the output at a specific current and compare it with the AixiZ and see how they compare... There will also be a test for the lasing threshold, the output beam characteristics, the pattern of the diode... etc.

Not to mention, this second diode will also be pushed to death just like the other one. A new TEC has been made for this purpose, and the results should definitely be conclusive.
DDL,
Phazor GB or not...since you have one of each, please do this test comparison with the AixiZ! ...That is, when you can find time... I mean, with all of this loss of interest in the Phazor diodes and all, there is still much to learn about the AixiZ diode...
Jay

Daedal

I agree Jay...

The AixiZ diode would be the closest thing to this, and I have some hopes for it.

--DDL

jayrob

Daedal said:
I agree Jay...

The AixiZ diode would be the closest thing to this, and I have some hopes for it.

--DDL
DDL, I have (had) an AixiZ diode that just fried last night. I had it running at 350mA and was just running it at about 1 min. duty at the most. Usually only 30 sec. I have had it for about 3 weeks and only used it a few times a night. Last night it just got very very dim. Bummer...The thing is though, I was using a circuit that I bought from E-bay that was running the diode at 3.22 volts, so maybe it was the voltage that fried it?? Anyway, I have another AixiZ diode that I have been running at the same mA but using your circuit...but last night, after the other one fried, I turned it down to 325mA for now. Looking forward to your expert testing!
Jay

Daedal

Ouch... bummer... :(

Hope to let you know very soon then :)

--DDL

Gazoo

The Sony GB diode will put out ~200mw's running on 300ma's..

Since the Aixiz diode did not last that long, I have to wonder what the true specs are on it and who the real manufacturer is. A diode with a true rating of 200mw's should be capable of being overdriven and 350 or even 500 ma's should not kill it that quickly with short duty cycles.

chimo

DDL, just a couple of comments/suggestions on the testing.

Even when using a TEC, the LD's die will still experience a temperature swing - the current will still shift as the die heats up.

I would suggest doing a full Voltage vs Current plot perhaps with a sample spacing of 10mA. I would also suggest measuring the voltage right at the LD because there can be a significant drop across the power cables and measuring eqpt.

Good Luck!

Paul

Daedal said:
I'm going to test the current at a specific voltage (as pseudo suggested) and compare it with the AixiZ diodes. Then I will also test the output at a specific current and compare it with the AixiZ and see how they compare... There will also be a test for the lasing threshold, the output beam characteristics, the pattern of the diode... etc.

Not to mention, this second diode will also be pushed to death just like the other one. A new TEC has been made for this purpose, and the results should definitely be conclusive. :)

Hope this covers it all.