Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!!

Daedal

Re: INTEREST GAUGE for PHAZOR Diodes -- 200mW CW!!

Thank you Chimo :)

--DDL

jayrob

Gazoo said:
The Sony GB diode will put out ~200mw's running on 300ma's..

Since the Aixiz diode did not last that long, I have to wonder what the true specs are on it and who the real manufacturer is. A diode with a true rating of 200mw's should be capable of being overdriven and 350 or even 500 ma's should not kill it that quickly with short duty cycles.
Gazoo, it makes me wonder too...So far, no problems with the Senkat diode at 323mA. (short duty) But I am wondering about the driver I was using for the AixiZ. I measured 3.22 volts at the diode. Do you think the voltage might have been what killed it? I may not want to use that driver anymore...just stick with DDL's driver.
Jay

Attachments

• driver_002.jpg
    driver_002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 67

Gazoo

Seriously I doubt it was the voltage that killed it since it is regulated. I think it has more to do with Aixiz stating they are selling a diode that is rated at 200mw's CW...when in fact it is not. But when Daedal gets a chance to do further testing on that diode we may know more of the story. My open can diode runs at 2.84 volts with 350ma's of current, and 3.44 volts with 600ma's. I don't know what the SenKat diodes voltage would be with 350ma's running into it.

What is the voltage of your SenKat diode running with 323ma's???

jayrob

What is the voltage of your SenKat diode running with 323ma's???

The Senkat diode I am running at 323mA using DDL's driver set up is measuring 2.88 volts. So far, so good! LarryQ says he's been running at this current for some time now...Sturdy little suckers! (Thanks Greg!)
Jay

Gazoo

Yeah, I am surprised by how well they are holding up. I am tempted to remove the limiting resistor from my AMC7135 and let the full 350ma's run into my SenKat diode. If I get the guts I will let you know..lol Right now it is running at 270ma's.

Usint the amc7135, what value resistor are you using parallel with the diode to take 80mA while the LD takes 270mA?

Gazoo

It is a 33ohm resistor. Same as before when I was getting 240ma's. But I fried that driver and diode. With the new driver and diode it measures 270ma's. However I used my meter in series with the amp setting to measure the current where as before I was measuring voltage across a 1 ohm resistor. Maybe I should put the resistor back and see what it measures at.

I used a 7135 to power an open can diode and it measured 370ma's with the meter on the amp setting. Maybe my meter is acting up. I would not think it should be 20ma's off taking readings on the 10 amp scale.

ADDED: I put the 1 ohm resistor back in the circuit and I measured 265 millivolts. The only thing I can think of that caused the difference between the measurement of the first diode vs. the second diode is the internal resistance of the diode may be a little different.

Also according to AMC, the difference in the current the 7135 provides will vary some between regulators.

http://www.micro-bridge.com/AMC7135.asp

Kenom

OK so every time I see someone testing a diode it is with a TEC. It's kinda stupid to run that test because not many of us are using these with TEC's. Oh don't get me wrong there are a few "labby" style lasers out there that have been put together with the GB diodes. but in real world applications there is little if any passive cooling. So, when testing these things we should be testing them with only limited passive heatsinking. Like say for example. I run every single one of my Dorcy JR.'s off 300-350ma. with passive cooling in the heatsinks I'm using I'm getting an average of 150-180mw. I've had one or two go above that but not much. Max I've seen is about 190mw. So with 350ma on a senkat gb diode with little or no passive heatsinking you can figure your going to get about 175mw. This is a truth I've come to see in my own builds and I've built a total of 13 of these particular dorcy lasers.

Gazoo

Well when I said a Sony GB diode running 300ma's will provide an output of 200mw's I was going by Mike's graph. I checked the output of mine running with 265ma's and it is putting out 163mw's. There is no TEC cooling on that diode. ;)

Kenom

yeah and if I remember correctly mikes graph was created using a TEC. I could be wrong. now I gotta go look.

I've got a meter now so could probably do my own testing of these diodes over and over again with each and every one I make. I've got another 10 diodes on the way and should have a lot more info coming soon.

Gazoo

You will probably notice that as the diode heats up the power output goes down. This is the biggest advantage of a TEC and it should also extend the life of a diode. It is almost a must with my open can because I am now running it with 600ma's. I am sure the passive heatsinking is sufficient for the GB diodes as long as one doesn't get carried away with long duty cycles, and I have no plans to use a TEC with them.

Anyway I am curious what the output would be with 300ma's or so and when I can get around to it I will check it out. I would think it should correspond with Mike's graph as long as the reading is taken before the diode has a chance to heat up.

OK, count me in for one, please. :)

Maxx

i would like to get one, but not for about a month (birthday (lots of money))

Maxx

these are TO-18, right?

and how much are we saving from buying in a GB