Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

InExepnsive diode press "tool"

Status
Not open for further replies.

boscoj

Actually a regular old Bic ballpoint pen is darn near perfect !!!

Better pic . . . oops upside down . . . fits fine the other way too . . .

i446_diodepress.JPG

Last edited:

I've been using a very small aluminum tube I had found at hardware store (no idea what it was supposed to be), and though it has collapsed (because a part of the wall was thinner), it still works well.

Kevlar

Also, if your looking for a cheap "tool" to press the diode OUT of the Aixiz module, I use a piece of antenna. I pulled mine of a portable radio that doesn't work anymore. :)

Also, if your looking for a cheap "tool" to press the diode OUT of the Aixiz module, I use a piece of antenna. I pulled mine of a portable radio that doesn't work anymore. :)
I do this also, works flawlessly every time. I soldered the top end of the tube to make it extra strong too.

jib77

I found another thing that can be used ... the insert of a banana plug:

4800853352_5a02fe41d0_o.jpg

4800853382_1a340bc1a3_o.jpg

That's pretty funney a BIC pen :crackup: A pen is perferct to write with but it realy has no place in pressing diodes !!!
Real metel tools are what grownups use, you give plastic tools to kids !!!
Let me say this, I'm only posting my opinion here to maby save a few people the pain I felt when I whacked that first and last diode lead off of a $65.00 diode :mad:
I used to do that kind of stuf with all manner of implements till I cut a lead off of a $65.00 diode (and when I did that I had prob pressed 20 diodes or more so just because you did it once dosn't mean it's going to work forever) and that is when I designed the self centering diode press which is incapable of hurting your diode, I don't think that can be said for any of the displays of diode pressing I have seen in this thread so far :tsk:
So you would only want to spend a couple dollars on a flimsy at best diode press so you can save a what $12.00 while you are pressing many $45.00 diodes, wheres the logic in that ?
If I'm going to spend $200.00 on a 12x blu-ray diode I realy don't want to save even $15.00 for the cost of a good diode press if there is a chance I can cut or mash any of the diode leads with a make shift piece made for a bike or to write with :crackup:
So if you are serious about doing the job correctly you might want to get one of these they have a STEEL ram so they will not mushroom even after much use like the ones made with a brass ram do. and they are self centering so they will press the diode stright every time and never cut a lead or miss align the diode and they will set the diode below the surface every time :D

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/diode-press-sale-15-00-a-42590.html

Now that you got that diode in there safely you might want to change it and save it for later use so you will need a diode remover that can take it out with out hurting it so you might want to try one of these.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/diode-press-sale-pushes-out-diode-42614.html

Here's a picture of what real diode tools look like !
2psrbea.jpg

Actually a regular old Bic ballpoint pen is darn near perfect !!!

Better pic . . . oops upside down . . . fits fine the other way too . . .

i446_diodepress.JPG

Last edited:

boscoj

LOL . . . nice pic though huh?

well I have access to a lathe so I'm not worried too much . . .

tool looks like modded jets out of a Weber carb . . . I have those too . . . ;)

Last edited:
You are not woried too much ?
if you are making a joke with the pen thats fine but some people here might try that crazy stunt and realy ruin a good diode, but that dosn't matter to you because you have access to a lathe !

Why don't you take pictures of flowers or something !

LOL . . . nice pic though huh?

well I have access to a lathe so I'm not worried too much . . .

boscoj

not joking, just amazed at all the stuff I have that is the correct dimension to press them im . . .

surely a user without experience wouldn't try such a thing . . .

You are not woried too much ?
if you are making a joke with the pen thats fine but some people here might try that crazy stunt and realy ruin a good diode, but that dosn't matter to you because you have access to a lathe !

Why don't you take pictures of flowers or something !

You would be supprised :thinking:

not joking, just amazed at all the stuff I have that is the correct dimension to press them im . . .

surely a user without experience wouldn't try such a thing . . .

jib77

I agree w/ Flaminpyro, if you are working with expensive diodes buy the relatively inexpensive tools mentioned above.

These are merely alternatives w/ things laying around the house to those that would have used the backwards Aixiz sleeve anyways. [And those of us willing to take the risk and experiment :)]

Kevlar

Before I got my flaminpyro carbon steel diode press (works perfect BTW),

That's pretty funney a BIC pen :crackup: A pen is perferct to write with but it realy has no place in pressing diodes !!!
Real metel tools are what grownups use, you give plastic tools to kids !!!
I used to do that kind of stuf with all manner of implements till I cut a lead off of a $65.00 diode (and when I did that I had prob pressed 20 diodes or more so just because you did it once dosn't mean it's going to work forever) and that is when I designed the self centering diode press which is incapable of hurting your diode, I don't think that can be said for any of the displays of diode pressing I have seen in this thread so far :tsk:
So you would only want to spend a couple dollars on a flimsy at best diode press so you can save a what $12.00 while you are pressing many $45.00 diodes, wheres the logic in that ?
If I'm going to spend $200.00 on a 12x blu-ray diode I realy don't want to save even $15.00 for the cost of a good diode press if there is a chance I can cut or mash any of the diode leads with a make shift piece made for a bike or to write with :crackup:
So if you are serious about doing the job correctly you might want to get one of these they have a STEEL ram so they will not mushroom even after much use like the ones made with a brass ram do. and they are self centering so they will press the diode stright every time and never cut a lead or miss align the diode and they will set the diode below the surface every time :D

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/diode-press-sale-15-00-a-42590.html

Now that you got that diode in there safely you might want to change it and save it for later use so you will need a diode remover that can take it out with out hurting it so you might want to try one of these.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/diode-press-sale-pushes-out-diode-42614.html

I agree w/ Flaminpyro, if you are working with expensive diodes buy the relatively inexpensive tools mentioned above.

These are merely alternatives w/ things laying around the house to those that would have used the backwards Aixiz sleeve anyways. [And those of us willing to take the risk and experiment :)]

I have to agree with Flaminpyro as well. As I said above, I used one of those cheap tools BEFORE I bought one of his carbon steel self-centering diode presses :D

It's ok for PHR's and cheap diodes, but as has been said, its not until you slice of the pin (most likely positive in my case) of an EXPENSIVE diode do realized maybe it wasn't such a good idea; and it could work 20 times like he said but it just takes that one time... Then :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The one that I originaly posted and opened this thread up with, is a proven and sound way to press the diode recessed into the module; not sure if I would try some of the other methods posted in this thread though.

This is my felf centering press tool:
a665f14c.jpg

The sleeve is the back of a sure/aixiz module that screws onto the diode holder, the back is cut open. The press is a brass cylinder that happen to fit, I added a little masking tape to make it perfect. I soldered a nut at the end to push the diode and the leads fits inside. Next to that you see the antenna tube I use for pushing the diode out of the module unharmed.

This is the vise, a desk lamp holder:
5e4340e6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.