Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Im a loser baby

Hey dmacrae, if you really want some guy to shut up a bit about your lasers, you could always sell off a few of those blues and you've got and buy an Ar+ or a small CO2 (a REAL laser) and start using those instead.

Everything is boring up to a point, but cross a threshold later on, and everything suddenly becomes interesting to everyone again.

I'm not usually one to give out advice, but what I'd do is this; Next time he says something about your "stupid little lights" and tells you to grow up, just laugh in his face and explain that your "stupid little lights" happen to be responsible for a very large amount of modern technology. Then tell him to grow up and stop pretending that technology isn't important in modern life. You're exploring modern technology while he's playing pretend thinking that we're still in the stone age. Just try not to feed the troll, and remember that the difference between in-laws and outlaws is that outlaws are wanted.

He must be high if he thinks someone who has been taking care of themselves since they were 16 is a loser. That or he's very jealous of you. He doesn't sound very bright. Maybe he just hates your lasers because he can't resist chasing the dot :)

You are not alone.. very few at LPF have not had the same things happen in regard to lasers.
Some of my thoughs regarding your passion for Lasers.

1) life is too short to attempt to live up to the expectations of others.
2) If they must ask 'Why' it is unlikely they will understand your answer-
it may be coins, stamps or fricken butterflies - I do NOT bowl or golf but have no problem with those that do.
3) Try to attend a LEM. There is one every year in Orlando (FLEM) it is SO refreshing
and awesome to be around SO MANY lasers and never hear 'WHY'.
4) consider getting, at least in some small way, into laser projectors- The cost to start has never been lower- Building your own, never easier. And as long as those seeing what you can do with a PJ is being done to a genre of music they DO like I doubt they will not like what they see.
5) Although some may not believe it-- It is a fact, that the laser is NOW a much more significant invention than Edison's light bulb( soon to be obsolete) they are everywhere and our lives are better with them.
6) New inventions and uses for lasers are happening every day and. who knows? , one of us may come up with another new use.
7) I have stopped talking Laser or showing off my new lasers to any that I am not sure will appreciate them- its pointless and a waste of my time. I do not need their approval or validation.
8) I am 65 yrs old- And I just now know what I want to be when I grow up.
-------------------------

hak

great thread and the wisdom of all who posted in it is spot on.

Your friends seem pretty closed minded :/

Hmm was that meant for me or the OP?

When you have as many friends as I have you will find many whose interests are not the same- they are still friends - just not laserfriends.

Hmm was that meant for me or the OP?

When you have as many friends as I have you will find many whose interests are not the same- they are still friends - just not laserfriends.

Oh yeah that was for op haha and I have some friends who are interested in my lasers and some who aren't but even if they don't show interest they would never bash it or insult me for my hobby lol also I don't really show my lasers off either only if I happen to have one nearby but it's mostly for myself haha

Last edited:
^^ I know that feeling- AND some that do show interest or want to buy one of mine have bad plans for the laser so I refuse to help them get one-they dont 'get it' and prollly never will.

+2 for SS

Exactly! I don't think I'd ever sell a laser to anyone I knew in person lol it also puts you at risk for being responsible for all the stupid things that can happen with it!

^^Hak, I've already made a line generator using motors and parts from an old dvd player and a 65mw green module. Once I'm back in the south and I have my own workstation ill be creating all kinds of crazy things :beer:
Regardless of what anyone thinks. :)

A hobby is a hobby.

Are those people who sit by the river catching fish only to put them in them back in the water crazy?
People who collect stamps - lick the back and put them in a album sad?
People who watch birds (flying kind) weird?
People who go to the train station to watch trains, nerds?
etc
Look at my RGB hand held laser thread to see the time "I've wasted", what does that make me ;-) (answers by PM)

All hobbies are crazy, depending on your point of view...and I never judge anyone by their hobby, neither should your father in law...

What does you father in law have as a hobby?

Do what you like and be proud of it.

ATB
MM
That is so right. I've seen some weird hobbies but just because i don't find them interesting doesn't mean i judge the people who do them. Just live life to the fullest. if you could look back on your life after you die, wouldn't you want to look at your hobbies and think of good times? I would. If you love it, its worth loving. that's my 2 cents, which unfortunately isn't enough to buy a new laser :p

Sorry to hear about the ball busting from your soon to be FIL, its very common dealing with disapproving or condescending inlaws & as you already know - his opinion doesn't matter. Not reacting to his pestering is the best way to get back & it also helps him learn how useless it is anyways. You've gotten a lot of sound advice & it sounds like you know whats up already, hang in there man! :beer:

I think he'd complain about any hobby I have. I have a collection of old hunting knives back home and I brought my favorite Bali song to Chicago and of course its also stupid.... Should've brought my 13" bowie knife, a flat smack with that sucker and he's turning tail and hobbling home with a custom brand of butt-hurt :tinfoil:
LpFers you're some good dudes. :beer:

DJNY

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited:

daguin

One of the most effective ways to avoid job burn out and stagnation is to have a hobby that is totally different from your job

He either never knew that or he has forgotten

Your pretty little lights will help you to avoid becoming like him

Peace,
dave