Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here

Even the lens pen they sent is a knockoff failure.

-Trevor

Well this is a chinese company that already had a less than stellar reputation that's being dealt with after all. What else is to be expected?

Last edited:

jbtm

I don't have an issue with it. Be nice if the other end was made for the diode. I found if I just spin the brush, and start from the side first, i can get it to go down to the diode and clean the lens. Now my laser doesn't have a messy lens =D

I got no complains. I just wanted another pair of glasses for viewing the dot at a far.

Its funny that these pair dont even have a OD rating or wavelength range printed on it.

My G1 finally arrived today. Ordered on June 24, got a ship notice that it was sent out Sept 11 and received it today (Sept 17). Order number was 54xxx.

Everything was well packed and complete. Nothing was touched by customs. I opened everything and am satisfied with condition, no damage, marks, excess heat compound, etc... physically it is perfect.

I charged the battery and put it on my laserbee LPM. I recorded 821mw with the standard lens on, 862mw with the lens off. Using the training lens I measured 187mw.

Beam divergence seems pretty tight. I have not measured it yet.

Overall I am satisfied with the purchase although it took very long to arrive.

ZapU

My G1 finally arrived today. Ordered on June 24, got a ship notice that it was sent out Sept 11 and received it today (Sept 17). Order number was 54xxx.

Everything was well packed and complete. Nothing was touched by customs. I opened everything and am satisfied with condition, no damage, marks, excess heat compound, etc... physically it is perfect.

I charged the battery and put it on my laserbee LPM. I recorded 821mw with the standard lens on, 862mw with the lens off. Using the training lens I measured 187mw.

Overall I am satisfied with the purchase although it took very long to arrive.

Congrats on finally getting your laser. Personally, I think the G1 is preferable to the G2. (less to go wrong and the ability to wire up a remote control)

What is the ideal replacement battery for the Arctic? I have some protected cells that don't quite fit. I don't trust the battery that came with the Arctic.

ZapU

What is the ideal replacement battery for the Arctic? I have some protected cells that don't quite fit. I don't trust the battery that came with the Arctic.

You should read the review I posted (click on my sig). I posted links to compare some protected batteries and links to purchase.

I recommend the Tenergy 2600. I have one, it works great. Some people disagree with my choice, but that's OK. It's the only protected battery proven to fit in the Arctic. I figure that battery manufactures go through all the grief to put protection in, we should use it. In fact, we are specifically told not to use unprotected Li-ion batteries without some kind of external protection built in to the device.

I made this same argument in this thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/trustfire-protected-18650s-54997.html#post776115

I even quoted a tech sheet from Panasonic saying that their unprotected batteries were not to be sold as a bare cell without external protection circuitry.

Ash

QUOTE]
Thanks for posting this.
I got my G2 the other day, and haven't gotten arud to measuring it's output 'till now.
Training lens: 179mW
Regular Lens: 823mW
No lens: 892mW
I didn't see any thermal grease on the inside of the front of my arctic.

Also, my divergence seems alright, only about 1.8mRad
using this calculator

Personally, I'm using an AW IMR battery, fits perfectly (65.04mm) no need for any protection pcb and the battery is perfectly safe; it's a different chemistry.

Also it's the type of battery that the Arctic is spec'd for in the manual; not that WL even went by that though (el cheap-o). :yabbmad:

AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

What ever you do, don't use the WL supplied $0.50 battery, it can be dangerous.

I finally received my G1. They actually shipped it to me back in mid-August however my address had changed and the post office mailed it back. They quickly mailed it to my new address (at no extra fee) and I picked it up today.

My initial thoughts are good. The build quality seem pretty high, I don't notice any of the issue people were previously commenting about. I have nothing to measure the power output with however I can burn through white objects at full power pretty quickly so I assume it's pretty high (maybe low 900s).

One thing I noticed, there was a thread about a battery that exploded and a lot of complaints about the stock batteries. I noticed everyone's photo showed a green cell, the one I received was orange so it's possible they've got a new batch in, hopefully less prone to failure.

Also, the goggles look to be the cheapo maybe OD+1. Shining the beam through them with the training lens on I can still see a clear blue dot on the other side. I think I'll buy a better pair to be safe.

Last edited:

ZapU

I finally received my G1. They actually shipped it to me back in mid-August however my address had changed and the post office mailed it back. They quickly mailed it to my new address (at no extra fee) and I picked it up today.

My initial thoughts are good. The build quality seem pretty high, I don't notice any of the issue people were previously commenting about. I have nothing to measure the power output with however I can burn through white objects at full power pretty quickly so I assume it's pretty high (maybe low 900s).

One thing I noticed, there was a thread about a battery that exploded and a lot of complaints about the stock batteries. I noticed everyone's photo showed a green cell, the one I received was orange so it's possible they've got a new batch in, hopefully less prone to failure.

Also, the goggles look to be the cheapo maybe OD+1. Shining the beam through them with the training lens on I can still see a clear blue dot on the other side. I think I'll buy a better pair to be safe.

Could you post a pic of the battery?

Trevor

Be safe, just don't use it. Not worth risking your life / house / whatever.

-Trevor

Of course, of course. Pics or it didn't happen.

Looks like they're using an IMR battery now, so this shouldn't have an explosive risk.

IMG_1313.jpg

Trevor

Of course, of course. Pics or it didn't happen.

Looks like they're using an IMR battery now, so this shouldn't have an explosive risk.

No, that tells you they're using a battery that has IMR printed on the outside.

What part of "it's not worth it" don't you understand?

-Trevor

Thanks for the pic, about darn time they used an IMR battery; as that is what the Arctic was spec'd for in their own documentation.

Now let's hope it's not a counterfeit MNKE brand, as a quick search on CPF shows there are a lot of counterfeit 'MNKE' batteries out there for some reason. I'm kind of thinking it's not, because it doesn't look like the counterfeit ones I've seen pics of.
I wonder what the mAh is?

I know the haters don't care, but just got my Arctic yesterday - with the IMR battery.
Took just under two months to get it. I really like the host design, I must say!