Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here

Re: Arctic Spyder 3 Review & Slight Comparison **VIDEO**

Really good review video!

When are you gonna take some pics/vids of the starfield lens at night?

Order number 480**, no evidence that they even have my order anymore. Wicked won't return my emails, won't respond to my tickets, I can't register for their forum...

I'm so done with these guys.

EDIT: Just emailed sales@wickedlasers.com, and immediately got back some automated stock response. Is there any way for me to actually get in touch with a person, so I can figure out what's going on with my order?

If you're trying to get a G1 put "Send G1 - Order [order number]" as the subject without the quotes.

Last edited:
Re: Arctic: Spyder III: Review

Is the claim that the black screw-on-off piece is restricting power? Because I can test the power with it on and off to see if I'm understanding correctly.

That black piece is just there to keep you from getting fingerprints on the lens when you change caps. If it just has a hole in it then it should not be robbing any power.

Re: Arctic Spyder 3 Review & Slight Comparison **VIDEO**

Really good review video!

When are you gonna take some pics/vids of the starfield lens at night?

Thanks!

I can try and get a few shots tonight. The beams are obviously not as bright as the full beam so no guarantees on actually being able to get a shot. Oh well I'll mess with the exposure and such to try and show you guys what it's like!

technically, the black piece would also give more direct thermal heatsinking mass. But I suspect it's just there to keep people from fingering the lens.

denodan, a 1W with corrective optics is possible, and the optics are only like 40 bucks. But that is not the point, the point is Wicked blatantly lied about this things specs on their website. There is a difference between stretching the truth and full out lying, and wicked crossed that line.
Despite what wicked said or didn't say... they delivered a turn-key laser, battery, goggles, and charger for <$200. They appear to have decent beams for a 445 similar to the Aixiz beamspecs (the Arctics that work properly, anyways). On top of it all it's a pretty good looking host, IMO.

Sure, they really dragged their feet. Sure, they misrepresented some specs. If you don;t like thermal grease then take it out. But in the end what they're delivering for the price is pretty darn good. No amount of lies or advertising will change what the arctic is.

They could say it's 20 watts with a 0.5mrad pentagram shaped dot... they could say it's an 800mW beam with a ~2mrad rectangle dot... they could say it feeds Africa and cures HIV. That doesn't change a thing. Your expectations might be crushed but that that doesn't change the fact that what the arctic is is comparatively a good deal. Class IV portable, cool looking, goggles, battery & charger for under $200. (Well, $300 now)

The lens I received from Aixiz is exactly like what is pictured.
If Steve says the lens is different or better it is a lie.

The new Aixiz 445nm lenses contain 3 elements. Two elements are bonded together, though.
I can compare old Aixiz with new Aixiz if anyone needs "proof."

Trevor

The lens I received from Aixiz is exactly like what is pictured.
If Steve says the lens is different or better it is a lie.

The new Aixiz 445nm lenses contain 3 elements. Two elements are bonded together, though.
I can compare old Aixiz with new Aixiz if anyone needs "proof."

I have to admit, I'm also confused as to why we're believing Steve about the lens being different. I forget - wasn't there some sort of fiasco about WL lying about specs? :shhh:

-Trevor

Looks EXACTLY like my new aixiz 445 nm lenses. Same looking tint and everything.
Does the WL lens have spanner wrench holes on the lens retaining ring instead of the slotted lens retaining ring?
New Aixiz 445nm lenses have the spenner holes and old Aixiz appear to have a retaining ring that uses a slotted screwdriver.

Looks EXACTLY like my new aixiz 445 nm lenses. Same looking tint and everything.
Does the WL lens have spanner wrench holes on the lens retaining ring instead of the slotted lens retaining ring?
New Aixiz 445nm lenses have the spenner holes and old Aixiz appear to have a retaining ring that uses a slotted screwdriver.

arcticx.jpg

This is the image I took of the arctics optical assembly. If you have an aixiz on hand could you please compare?

The retaining ring has two holes.

(Sorry for threadjack dave, but I am really interested. :confused: )

Looks MF'ing identical to me. I'm assuming the thread pitch on it is 9mmx-0.5mm?
I can take apart one of my aixiz lenses to compare elements when I get home (assuming I can get the spanner wrench ring off)

Looks MF'ing identical to me. I'm assuming the thread pitch on it is 9mmx-0.5mm?
I can take apart one of my aixiz lenses to compare elements when I get home (assuming I can get the spanner wrench ring off)

Outside the threads are identical the Aixiz nuts. The assembly is identical to the aixiz on the outside, but...whats important is the inside.

If your retainment ring has the two little holes, I would suggest swiss army knife scissors, work like a treat. :D

Lol

No wonder aixiz had such a hard time getting lenses, WL took them all.

Hey Dave, a big "Thank you" for the review! (Rep him folks! he deserves it!)
Thanks for posting that serial number Dave, that is not a handwritten CNI style serial number like someone else said they are.

denodan, a 1W with corrective optics is possible, and the optics are only like 40 bucks. But that is not the point, the point is Wicked blatantly lied about this things specs on their website. There is a difference between stretching the truth and full out lying, and wicked crossed that line.

Yeah, but interestingly, now the S/N in the latest PGL III's are also made by type, so there still may be a match-up in these details... -GH

Last edited:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8290/arcticx.jpg

This is the image I took of the arctics optical assembly. If you have an aixiz on hand could you please compare?

The retaining ring has two holes.

(Sorry for threadjack dave, but I am really interested. :confused: )

Wow that's a small heatsink. I know it uses thermal grease to use the rest of the host as a heatsink, but IMO it should also have a larger primary heatsink. And yes, that lens is EXACTLY the same as the aixiz lenses. The aixiz lenses also have 2 of the elements bonded together.

well its obviously not aixiz since they have 3 lenses :p

10mo0tw.jpg

My aixiz glass lenses have the 2 elements facing away from the diode bonded together.