Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I am disappointed!!!

anselm

You CAN use a Dr.Lava driver or a jib77 or any of the KaiDomain or DX drivers.
As far as I understand, there's a separate contest and prize for the driver,
so even if you just grab one from the store, you can still enter the competition for the "host", no?

When I said "don't use a standard heatsink" I meant that making another converted flashlight
might not be enough to win, unless it is something outrageous, of course.
You don't need plenty machinery, a file and drill, pliers 'n stuff can get you somewhere.

His original point was to get people to stop yakking (sometimes not even about lasers anymore)
and get back building and I think that's a good point.

I saw the thread, and my hoped weren't too high honestly. It takes a money to make any project and it seems any spare money that people have, they just want to build a 445 with it.
While it was a great idea, there really aren't that many original things that happen around here. 99.9% of the builds that are made are just modified flashlights (which you excluded from the contest)

One of my all-time favorites was Jayrob's 1" uranium marble lamp. It's was pretty cool and looked really awesome.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-glow-marble-mini-light-project-parts-44252.html

Last edited:
^^^^ seems to be true. sad, but true. also, i didn't exclude flashlight builds. but apparently i believed in the forum members creativity... what i said/meant was don't expect to win with a 445 and a jayrob kit....

the forum gets to vote. what would you have voted for:
the dinosaur build
or a 445 in a jayrob kit

the dino buld was probably 30 bucks compared to 100 or more for the other route.

it is a creativity contest... which means be creative. even with available funds lol.

michael

Last edited:

rhd

Come on guys, have some faith! Don't get bummed out - there's still creativity on this board :)

Here's the beginning of my entrant into this contest:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/i...ill-mystery-635nm-diode-62813.html#post894026

You better bet it won't be a Dr. Lava driver either ;) Since LM317s were reminisced about earlier in this thread, maybe that will be my route here.

Anyway - if my entrant wins, my prize can be re-donated to the next round of this contest. I don't need the diode. Just want to have fun with this.

rhd

Well - that didn't turn out to be fruitful. It's a <5mW diode.

That thing is badA$$!!
Nice job bro, I'm going to get on a 2W IR build tomorrow after seeing that!
Not as cool as yours though, just a handheld.

Did you use the lipo cell from a mini R/C heli? (I have a few laying around)

I got a few online when a dealer was having a close out sale a few months ago.
Don't know here they originally came from, they look new/unused/non-harvested.
I haven't used any so far just because using a camera to adjust them is a PITA...
I'll likely drive them @ around 1.2A so only ~1W just for efficiency and to keep the heatsink size down ;)

Dog gammit.

If you'll extend the deadline for a few months I'll be able to build something awesome... I even have the design in-mind. I just can't spare time for building cool stuff at the moment. I've got a long summer coming up, thus plenty of time for building.