Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hyperion LPM + Vritonuzz Data Logger Platform

To all Vritonuzz user which couldn't run the Vritonuzz or having trouble, please do report me.
It seems that on some OS with certain update and certain software installed, the Vritonuzz will likely fail to run.

While the software is going a thorough testing on my side, it is inevitable that i can't simulate it in every combination of software installed in my system.

In conclusion, the datalogger software has been tested and run perfectly on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 (all freshly installed without any update)
Without being blocked by these essential software installed in windows:
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • MS office
  • Adobe PDF reader
  • Winrar
  • Photoshop
  • Illustrator
  • After effects
  • Solidworks
  • Nvidia display driver
  • AMD display driver
  • Microsoft SQL server
  • Microsoft visual studio
  • Google chrome
  • MATLAB
  • Altium

In addition, some cheap/agressive antivirus might trigger a false alarm.

I was tossing these thoughts around looking for your feed back.
For the software

1 is there a way to clip out the beginning sensor ramp up and ending sensor taper within the chart before saving the graph while also adjusting the averaged output value?

For the sensor

2 I had to re solder the connector leads on the sensor the 2 pin plug going to the board. I trimmed the wire a hair. Would this have a noticeable effect?

3 do you know of any soldering pieces that well let me describe. It's a tube of appropriate size for the wires you are joining. Slip the pre tinned wires in, add solder and done. This would provide a much stronger solder joint.

Maybe to alleviate the stress put on the solder joints the connector could be secured to the sensor assembly. I know you used single core wire for a specific reason that I'm not aware of. The pin to pin type of solder joint just doesn't hold up to being handled for storage and use cycles. I have decided to just leave that connection intact for storage. But this may come up with other owners having this happen. I have treated this device with great care and it happened to me. So if you could describe the implications of doing this maybe save you some headaches down the line. I would appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I was tossing these thoughts around looking for your feed back.
For the software

1 is there a way to clip out the beginning sensor ramp up and ending sensor taper within the chart before saving the graph while also adjusting the averaged output value?

For the sensor

2 I had to re solder the connector leads on the sensor the 2 pin plug going to the board. I trimmed the wire a hair. Would this have a noticeable effect?

3 do you know of any soldering pieces that well let me describe. It's a tube of appropriate size for the wires you are joining. Slip the pre tinned wires in, add solder and done. This would provide a much stronger solder joint.

Maybe to alleviate the stress put on the solder joints the connector could be secured to the sensor assembly. I know you used single core wire for a specific reason that I'm not aware of. The pin to pin type of solder joint just doesn't hold up to being handled for storage and use cycles. I have decided to just leave that connection intact for storage. But this may come up with other owners having this happen. I have treated this device with great care and it happened to me. So if you could describe the implications of doing this maybe save you some headaches down the line. I would appreciate your input.

Here is the answer:

1. The averaged value, if you select the "smart average" will count points without counting the transient event (ramp up event). As for clip out the beginning, what you can do now is just shining the laser to the sensor for about 15sec and then start logging, that way the graph produced will be without transient/ramp up.

2. As long as you don't touch the sensor surface, there is nothing to worry about.

3. I see that yours are still earlier configuration, the recent configuration are changed, i no longer using single core but using silicon wire, unfortunately since the two cable could not fit the hole, i just wrap it in front of the sensor to the bottom and then to the back, while it's not looking neat it could save some headache :D. The reason i'm using single core is that it is originally comes attached to the TEC. long ago i'm having a difficulties soldering a replacement cable to the TEC because of small solder pin on TEC.

Earlier sensor, a coated version capable of reading 6W:
coated.jpg

Recent sensor, an uncoated version capable of reading 20W:
Uncoated.jpg

If you can do some (de)-soldering, i think you can follow the new configuration.
the back heatsink are removable, it's fixed in position using thermal tape only (yet it's so strong cant be removed by hand)

Their Netbook I tried to run it on is pretty much a clean install of Windows XP. Never really use it for anything.

The only software loaded is Power DVD and Laserbee software.

Other than that it's a clean install. But your software fails to run. Not even an Error message on why !

Maybe you could add some error trapping to help find the bugs..

Last edited:
Their Netbook I tried to run it on is pretty much a clean install of Windows XP. Never really use it for anything.

The only software loaded is Power DVD and Laserbee software.

Other than that it's a clean install. But your software fails to run. Not even an Error message on why !

Maybe you could add some error trapping to help find the bugs..

Actually i got a hunch about the problem, here is the illustration:

There is actually a function X needs to be executed.
And when the function Y is executed (and waiting for several miliseconds for the function X to be finished), but the function X is not finished yet, then the program cannot continue.

It is true that long ago i can't run the software in a netbook/slow processor,
but this thing has been resolved long ago as i already prolong the wait state.
This thing only affect the start-up of the program though.

Last night i'm asking some Vritonuzz user if they had this problem, they said it runs perfectly.

can you please try running it in faster processor?

Meanwhile i currently making a lightweight version of Vritonuzz :beer:

Can't you add a flag to inform you when Process X has finished initialising. Y waits.

When it's hard to know when Process X has finished I have written a Temp file to the HDD at the end of prcess X. Process Y waits till it sees this temp file created. Then it deletes it and executes process Y.

I can test it on a faster CPU. But it wont be of any use to me. I only have the Netbook in the room with the laser stuff.

I don't understand why this is so complicated. All it's doing is capturing data from a virtual com port and graphing it. Sounds like a pretty straight forward program to me.

Last edited:
A quick answer from me:
It actually is not a virtual com port communication, i'm not using any com port/virtual com port.

It's more like USB PnP, i'm sure you know about it ;)

A quick answer from me:
It actually is not a virtual com port communication, i'm not using any com port/virtual com port.

It's more like USB PnP, i'm sure you know about it ;)

Ok. I was under the impression the Atmel USB port uses serial coms protocol. As in it uses the FTDI USB type of Driver.

I know the Laserbee uses a USB Virtual com port.

Last edited:
I just create a Lite version,
As always, it runs on all of my computer :confused:

Download here:

https://goo.gl/5xW5Dq

Same essential functionality minus some features.

Last edited:
The light version doesnt run either. But at least this time it gives an error message.

"Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Windows XP

astralist, on your heat sinks for your TECs, why didn't you just drill out the hole a bit larger to accommodate the silicon wires? It would have made it look much better.

The light version doesnt run either. But at least this time it gives an error message.

"Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Windows XP

Thanks for great info!
now i know that the incompatibility probably comes from the windows API since i don't write those message in any of my code.
I'll investigate this further.

astralist, on your heat sinks for your TECs, why didn't you just drill out the hole a bit larger to accommodate the silicon wires? It would have made it look much better.

I agree with you, the first design was just like that and looks much better, the cable goes to the hole, but there was a problem arise back then, so i decided to use big silicon wire and bent it from front to bottom and then to back.

I've tried drilling the hole bigger, but the excess chipped aluminum makes it hard to stick the back (green) heatsink perfectly, it makes the surface of green heatsink not 100% in contact with main heatsink even though i already use sandpaper and such grinding tools.

Last edited:
I agree with you, the first design was just like that and looks much better, the cable goes to the hole, but there was a problem arise back then, so i decided to use big silicon wire and bent it from front to bottom and then to back.

I've tried drilling the hole bigger, but the excess chipped aluminum makes it hard to stick the back (green) heatsink perfectly, it makes the surface of green heatsink not 100% in contact with main heatsink even though i already use sandpaper and such grinding tools.
I'm a bit confused... :thinking: What does that mean ?
BTW... I was able to finally open the box of the LPM
you sent and do some basic testing yesterday.
I'll be doing a review as soon as I can find some time
to finish testing it and try to use the data logging
software.

I removed the LCD and added in line connectors so
now the LCD is removable and can be changed for
different LCD colors.
Why did my LCD come in black on yellow and not the
yellow/white on black that you showed in the first
Post ?

Jerry

Not sure how to explain it in English, when you drill some metal, there are some extruded metal on the opposite side of the drill, that is what i meant of "excess chipped aluminium".

About the LCD color, you can see the detail on first post:

• Display:
    • Hyperion Ag: High contrast LCD.
    • Hyperion Cu: Standard LCD.

BTW, there are no problem with the functionality after changing the LCD i presume?
Which means you did a good job desoldering the LCD :D

Not sure how to explain it in English, when you drill some metal, there are some extruded metal on the opposite side of the drill, that is what i meant of "excess chipped aluminium".

About the LCD color, you can see the detail on first post:

BTW, there are no problem with the functionality after changing the LCD i presume?
Which means you did a good job desoldering the LCD :D
1) That is called a burr.... it is caused on the
reverse side by drilling through some materials.
This can be easily corrected by using a de-burring
tool or even a sharp larger drill. That is the way
we remove the burrs on our LaserBee Thermopile
Heatsinks after drilling the wire pass-through
holes in the Heatsinks.

2) "High contrast" and "Standard" are not LCD
colors. LCD colors are stated as:-
"COLOR Characters on COLOR background"
The only LCD colors I see in the 1st Post is the
Light color on Dark background.
No problem... I have all the LCD colors I need.
in the shop.:beer:

3) No problems at all with the functionality
after de-soldering the LCD and re-soldering
in-line connectors.
I'm not that good at soldering. I've only been
soldering electronics for ~40 years...:whistle:

Jerry

Reactions: GSS
First thing popped in my mind after hearing word "burr" are those burr which used to drill teeth :crackup:
Thanks for the information BTW!

I'm glad i do not call them "color" in first post :D

That's over twice as my experience in soldering!
been living 25 years with ~15 years soldering electronics things :can:

learning things and creating things are fun, I'm quite regretful not learning digital electronics skills earlier in life. Still i need to learn many things in mechanics world.