Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W, 6W, & 20W Version

AaronT

Re: Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W & 6W Version

I would suggest taking a current reading at the Battery terminal
and ask astralist if that reading is within his specs. I would suspect
that the current draw would be quite low when running on a standard
9 Volt battery.

On a side note...as astralist stated.. his circuit uses a 5Volt linear
regulator and for it to function properly it will require at least 7.5V
on it's input. Under 7.5 volts it will drop out of regulation.

If your 9 volt battery reads less than that then it must be replaced.
If your car battery's voltage is too low and it will not keep a full
charge and won't start your car..... you would need to replace your
battery.

Jerry

Problem with battery was diagnosed and solved. The meter no longer measuring (as if the calibration has been zeroed) is an entirely new problem.

Problem with battery was diagnosed and solved. The meter no longer measuring (as if the calibration has been zeroed) is an entirely new problem.

Happened to me a few times as well. I've found the disconnecting the power source and reconnecting usually fixes it for me. Just give it a second or two while off before turning it back on.

@Laserbee:
Well thank you for answering the question, you are absolutely right about that :D

@AaronT:
Please turn off the meter, wait several seconds, and then turn on the meter again.
What happened to the board is the ADC IC got static electricity (e.g from hand) and the internal static protection get latched on, therefore preventing a breakdown.
It should recover upon reboot ;)

EDIT:
oh well, Zach already answered that when i was typing lol :crackup:

Last edited:

AaronT

@Laserbee:
Well thank you for answering the question, you are absolutely right about that :D

@AaronT:
Please turn off the meter, wait several seconds, and then turn on the meter again.
What happened to the board is the ADC IC got static electricity (e.g from hand) and the internal static protection get latched on, therefore preventing a breakdown.
It should recover upon reboot ;)

EDIT:
oh well, Zach already answered that when i was typing lol :crackup:

LPM was unplugged all night, I powered it up on USB and the problem persists. Something else is going on here.

I am familiar with exposed electronic devices and know how to handle them properly. One of the first things I did was chop up a mouse pad and make a non conducting case for it.

Please get back to me, I'd like to get this fixed or get a replacement if this unit is defective.

Last edited:

Hello, sorry for late response, i'll sent you PM asap
I could easily send you a new board if it's really defective ;)

Last edited:

AaronT

Got your PM and did the diagnostics.

It looks like the sensor is the bad part. The box did look a little beat up but everything was so well wrapped in bubble wrap I dismissed it at first.

I think the wire out the back must have gotten folded too many times during handling.

gji25

received my hyperion today and is tested and working fine. thank you for a great service astralist :thanks:

Got your PM and did the diagnostics.

It looks like the sensor is the bad part. The box did look a little beat up but everything was so well wrapped in bubble wrap I dismissed it at first.

I think the wire out the back must have gotten folded too many times during handling.
Mentioning this for Astralist. The box my LPM was shipped in had the top line crushed in a good bit. It was not an easy ride to the states for it. Luckily there was enough room in the box to not damage the goods. But it took quite a bit of force to crush that side of the box.
Also, can the LPM board accept the larger sensor or is there calibration needed? If it can no problem how much for just the sensor module?

A bit OOT: Im not sure what happened with my ISP or LPF, i'm keep getting gateway error on my browser when sending a PM or posting a reply,

@AaronT: Not sure if my PM went through you, but i really needs the photos of the sensor after you dismantle it, i'm sure i can help with it. And if it's really damaged on shipping (because of customs inspection) i'll get you a new sensor, but first i need to make sure how is the condition of your sensor now, i'll wait for the photos :beer:

@dden4012: The LPM can accept the larger sensor but of course the boards needs to be recalibrated, you can calibrate it yourself. The big sensor module is cheap, it's only $35, you can choose either using a registered airmail ($12) or express ($20) for the shipping options.

@dden4012: The LPM can accept the larger sensor but of course the boards needs to be recalibrated said:
What's the process for calibration?

Are these currently available? If so please send me a Pm as I would like to get one while I have the funds available to do so. Wanted one for a while but we all know how that pesky budget can be when we want something.

@dden4012:
sorry for late response, been fighting with my illness lately :banghead:
i'll sent you PM about the calibration process later and/or updating the thread accordingly. :beer:

@CynicalBrad:
PM sent :beer:

@dden4012:
sorry for late response, been fighting with my illness lately :banghead:
i'll sent you PM about the calibration process later and/or updating the thread accordingly. :beer:

@CynicalBrad:
PM sent :beer:

Get better man.

AaronT

Check your messages, I sent the pic of the issue, sorry for the delay, been busy.

Last edited:

AaronT

Still waiting on some customer service on my LPM. E-Mail, IM, forum reply, anything...

The leads on the sensor were over twisted and broke right at the sensor, I can't solder it without damaging it.

This LPM is currently useless to me and I have waited several days, IMs and forum messages trying to get a replacement...

I normally wouldn't go the public rout but I bought my LPM months ago, got it, used it for a day when it broke and have gotten the run around for over a month since about just getting a replacement sensor sent my way.

Hi AaronT

Thank you for reminding me about this, i've been away lately.
Please expect the shipping of new sensor on next monday!
cheers! :beer: