Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W, 6W, & 20W Version

Alaskan

If the sensor is buried inside a tube, then putting the laser right up to the tube partially blocking it can produce a higher reading, as heat builds up inside. I still like to see the pointer at least 12 inches away from the sensor anyway, probably not a big deal if open to the air though. One thing you don't want to do is put a tiny spot on these sensors, depending upon the power, when doing so that is risking burning the surface, so I always de-defocus to spread the power out more to lower the power density.

lasersbee

How far away from the sensor should the laser be for testing?
It shouldn’t matter as long as all of the beam is on the sensor in a large enough area to not surpass the damage threshold of the sensor/coating.
I'll have to disagree with putting a Laser right up
close to a Laser Power Meter's Sensor....

If the sensor is buried inside a tube, then putting the laser right up to the tube partially blocking it can produce a higher reading, as heat builds up inside. I still like to see the pointer at least 12 inches away from the sensor anyway, probably not a big deal if open to the air though. One thing you don't want to do is put a tiny spot on these sensors, depending upon the power, when doing so that is risking burning the surface, so I always de-defocus to spread the power out more to lower the power density.
^^^^ EXACTLY ^^^^^

Keep radiated external IR heat to a minimum
by moving a Laser Host away from the Sensor.
Higher powered Lasers can become quit warm
emitting IR heat energy and falsifying readings.

Never focus down to a pinpoint increasing the
Power Density of the Beam under test or you
could risk burning the Sensor Coating by going
over it's Max Power Density Specs.

Jerry

Last edited:
What did you mean with sensor upgrade?
The 20W is a Hyperion Argentum and there is no version above it.

The price is $150usd, shipping to USA $25
Hey astralist, What are the chances that the Hyperion Ag: 20Watt LPM that I bought from you would be out of calibration after only a dozen or so tests of lasers from 532nm 80mW up to a 450nm 8 watt laser?

Also, astralist is it likely or even possible for a new Hyperion Ag: 20Watt LPM to be accurate at 532nm 80mW range but read a watt or two high in the 450nm 8 watt range???

EDIT - OK something is def off with this LPM, I tested a M462 2.2 watt diode using a G-2 lens and I get 2.8 watts! How are these LPM's calibrated before they are shipped out? AND is there any way to fix it on my end? In the menu, it shows Calibration, What is that for?

Last edited: