Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hyperion Laser Power Meter For Sale: 2W, 6W, & 20W Version

Just to be clear is the mA supposed to reflect the power going to the diode? If so the board you referenced would have some kind of passthrough sensing for amperage? I don't know what else the mA would represent but I feel I'm missing part of the picture. Really fantastic work you do. Thank you.

Benm

That's cool, if it could do current vs power plotting in some automated way it could be quite useful for determining good performanc vs thermal points for laser systems. Perhaps it could also have a temperature sensor such that you can log that too.

As you now get all these nice sensors for current and temperature that are electrically isolated from the circuit and run I2C bus it would not be overly difficult to implement support for them.

I guess the next step is to give the meter control over the laser power, which could be done with some smart circuitry and optoisolators. With that you can automatically test laser performance over long periods of time without any human supervision - gather the performance specs overnight, without the meter/control system making any electrical connection to the laser system that could interfere with results.

I still don't think that astralist ever said that the current was going to be measured as part of his LPM program. Yes, I think it was something you could add to the data, but to have a sensor that would accurately measure the current in real time seems unlikely.

You are correct, that mA display meant to be used with Hyperion Aurum which development is currently suspended because of unstable supply of Ophir head.

I'm a bit confused....
What does the power supply to an OPHIR head
have to do with detecting current of another
source :thinking:

Jerry

Benm

but to have a sensor that would accurately measure the current in real time seems unlikely.

What would make that unlikely?

You get boards that measure current complete isolation from the measured system for about $1 or $2, based on the acs712 chip for example, ebay has loads of listings for those. They have analog output though, but that can be read by either a direct analog input pin on a micro or a cheap ADC. There are also chips that output the value digitally over some common bus system (I2C etc).

I suppose the relation with the ophir head is in the development of a new product that uses both the ophir head to measure optical power and something like mentioned before to measure the current. Technically i see no reason realtime current measurement could not be integrated into the hyperion cuprum/argentum system with only slight modification.

Then again, if you use datalogging software you could collect the values of independent systems: get the laser power data from the hyperion, and current and voltage data from some arduino + sensor board connected to the laser driver setup.

Yes, the ACS712 has a copper path for current to flow that is picked up by a Hall sensor, but you still have to connect the current path through the IC. Even if you were to have an induction system to measure current, one would have to dissemble the laser to get at the current path. There is no easy way to incorporate a current logging device in real time with the power sensor. I used to be able to do it, but then I lost my magic wand.

Benm

How to insert the current sensor might depend a bit on the laser itself.

For battery powered lasers that have a simple on/off tailswitch you could just place it in the position of the tailcap with some jumper wires.

In more sophistricated systems there would be no need to really, as those often have a current-sensing resistor in the circuit which you could monitor, although not fully isolated. If it is between ground and output driver this isn't a big problem though. But even if it is not, you can install a hall-effect current monitor anywhere in the main current path, the resistance is so low that it will probably not have any effect on performance, and can be left in place when not using it.

My point is that there is no way of incorporating the current sensor easily like it is to take a power measurement. If you wanted to dissemble a laser you could have current, power, Vf, and beam profile all at once, but it isn't like just measuring the power. So, the current in that program is for adding it if you want it incorporated in your finished printout.

I'm a bit confused....
What does the power supply to an OPHIR head
have to do with detecting current of another
source :thinking:

Jerry

Because there is no relation at all between those two.
By "supply" i meant Ophir supplier from Israel

You can transport to Vietnam

Yeah sure, PM sent

@Benm @Paul:
I think there is misunderstanding here
I've said earlier, here is the possibility of the integrated current measurement inside Hyperion Aurum:

1. As a diode binning tool: you measure the performance and plot P/I/V curve of the bare diode
  2. As current measurement from driver to diode, or battery to driver, before the laser is assembled completely
  3. As current measurement from battery to driver, if the laser is already assembled completely

Additionally, the idea of providing current test point on the driver is doable, we can just monitor the current from that test point
let say we solder one wire from that test point and bring it outside the laser, to monitor current from driver to diode in realtime.

Last edited:
@Benm @Paul:
I think there is misunderstanding here
I've said earlier, here is the possibility of the integrated current measurement inside Hyperion Aurum:

1. As a diode binning tool: you measure the performance and plot P/I/V curve of the bare diode
  2. As current measurement from driver to diode, or battery to driver, before the laser is assembled completely
  3. As current measurement from battery to driver, if the laser is already assembled completely

Additionally, the idea of providing current test point on the driver is doable, we can just monitor the current from that test point
let say we solder one wire from that test point and bring it outside the laser, to monitor current from driver to diode in realtime.

That's what I thought your intention was. So you have the capability to do this in the application but your boards don't have the hardware to interface. Correct? Wouldn't there be a problem with resolution with a 0-5 amp range. What about having voltage plotted too? And I'm a little confused why this project was on hold. You mentioned two things in the same breath about that and confused some of us. Can this be done in an AIO package and are you going to do it?

That's what I thought your intention was. So you have the capability to do this in the application but your boards don't have the hardware to interface. Correct? Wouldn't there be a problem with resolution with a 0-5 amp range. What about having voltage plotted too? And I'm a little confused why this project was on hold. You mentioned two things in the same breath about that and confused some of us. Can this be done in an AIO package and are you going to do it?

Yeah my bad, sometimes it's hard to pour your idea in a proper words by not using your own language :yabbem:

Actually it's been designed,
It will be able to read 0-5V (of Ophir sensor) with a resolution of 0.6 microVolt
It will be able to read 0-20A (using hall sensor) with a resolution of 6 microAmpere

The project was on hold simply because the sensor is using Ophir, which is rarely available, although right now i will create an easy swap-calibration between different sensor, including when using Hyperion original sensor (TEC 6*6mm)

Update: only About 19 units left until i need to do a major restock (which will takes a long time)

Astralist, how much would you want for the 6 and 20 watt sensors with the Argentum? Include shipping costs. :thanks: