Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hurricane Harvey

Rivem

Good to hear you're alright Len. Understandable on the internet issues. My house has a tendency to lose internet in heavy rain, so something so severe should definitely have communication effects.

Is your house designed to take a flood in the event that there is one? If your neighbor has stilts, I feel like yours has to.

I've watched the Harvey coverage, and it really seems like not too many of the severely flooded homes had any sort of precaution which I'd expect in a low-lying area.

I live in a floodplain, and all of my neighbors have floodvents, stilts, or are on huge mounds. Both my family's house and barn had code issues when remodeled just because of their flood precautions. I don't know how exclusive that is to my situation though.

Hey Len ,

how are you ? all right? has the storm gone?
I did not hear you anymore!

YOU ARE OUR STONE PIECE!

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
3D, Len has replied and thankfully he is alright.
Here:
Sorry for leaving you all hanging--MY ISP has sucked lately--loosing connections and constant refreshing.

Zero damage at my casa.

why do I feel bad about that??

was I spared for some reason?
Last night there was one last time for the river to get into my house..had calls of warning.. almost every house here was dark.

so at 3AM I jacked my camper up another 18 inches as it is closer to the ground that my house WHICH 2 days ago lost A/C..

not that I am complaining .. that is trivial.

well that 3 hours of very sweaty work was needless.

it has not risen or dropped for some time and many places north/upstream of me have water in most homes and two of my dear friends just finished repairing badly flooded homes from the last big one... flooded again.

NOA says it will steadily be dropping.

special TY to GSS-- offering to set up a 'Fund-me' - awesome friends all of you...

Just heard on uk news that the estimated damages is $180bn. Is this accurate with sources in the US?

Last edited:
:scowl:update
;)

the water in the river has gone up every day but today.
:whistle:

Because, I think, we are so close to the bridge that the road elevation was done just for situations like Harvey-it serves also as a levy or dam, if you will.

The river looks to be moving 5 or 10 MPH,, lots of whole trees , debris, even entire covered boat docks.

I always wanted a house on the river BUT not at my neighbors expense.:p

NO Push Boats with barges going by.

They rattle my house when the pass.

Most on the river side will not really be able to go home and stay for another 6 or 7 days.. ONLY those houses on stilts were spared.

Roads that were closed reopened only to get flooded again and reclosed once more.:cryyy:

The Skeeters are bad.. and huge!!

bbl to post pics before and after Harvey.

hak

I imagine it's bad. I'll bet there are tons of mosquitoes. It may be a month before things start to get back to some kind of normalcy. Take care.

The worst is passing by then! it seems to me to understand!
Better so! However, be careful and concerned

Mythical Len :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Just heard on uk news that the estimated damages is $180bn. Is this accurate with sources in the US?

That sounds about right, I've seen the estimated total costs in a range anywhere from 150 to 190bn; the governor of Texas recently said it could be 180bn. Those are crazy amounts of money and damage! :eek:

Len you're in our thoughts and prayers.
These are terrifying events we see with unimaginable devastation.

RB

Benm

I've watched the Harvey coverage, and it really seems like not too many of the severely flooded homes had any sort of precaution which I'd expect in a low-lying area.

I guess the need for that depends largely on how well government has flood prevention programs in place. I live in the netherlands, currently with floor level at about sea level (and 15 floors between before i actually get wet feet at which point the country would be destroyed).

But before i used to live in a house with the ground floor about 4 meters below the -river- level that was about a kilometer away. This was a bit more dangerous as that river got large volumes of water when the ice in the alps started to melt, but the infrastructure never failed when i lived there, and afaik never has since (which is 15 years ago or so).