Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to get unkown laser diode to operate

NOT positive you will end up with diodes we now use..
hope you are being careful -poweing that way has its hazards- ESD is a big diode/driver killer.
we need much more from you--
pics always help-- any idea if all the same/ and what were they 'in' at one time?
afaik ==mostly red-- blu-ray has 405 (purple laser)
IMO while I wish you good luck- I think you will learn a lot but not find much you can do with these.
small red lasers with drivers and lens- ready to lase with 3vdc ----5mW-- much less than 1$ each..
yes to use them you wil need a lens--coated if you get lucky and get some power from these. (to prevent the beam from going back into the diode--AR)

MUST warn you-- lasers are highly addictive and most of us at the forum understand.. we really do.
I like to attend LEMs - and w/o I would have only met in person a very members here in TEXAS-

BUt over 7 years I have REALLY met >100 members .family. friends etc. never met a finer group of people.
There has been some laser meets --last I think was in Germany- some happen maybe near you---UKLEM.
Seems like laser folks are also Drone freaks-- helis with landing lasers!--so at most USA LEMs they find a place to use them.

Nice thread, I've got a huge tray of mixed 9mm diodes, mostly IR 808nm diodes, I think, but there may be a high power red in it somewhere. I've been chicken about going through all these. I've had them almost 10yrs now. I'm glad someone else is trying their old stuff too.

I may do that. I checked a few with a diode tester and figured a few out that way. I'm hoping for a high power red or two that I can use. They came from a grab bag from heruusciences - (9 years ago)

I got a bunch of very good stuff from him back in the day. Including a BLM-100 473nm DPSS for $210 in perfect condition and a 2mw yellow HeNe with power supply for $100. But I picked up about 4 grab bags of diodes that I've never gone through. I wish that somebody did something like this again. I could kick myself for a couple items I didn't bid on that had no bids, including a high power synrad complete that was passed on for $100. :(

OK so I've posted this before but had to share again. try this:

All class 4 at a roughly a watt or more. RED, GREEN, BLUE. I also have a 405 version, different mech mod, but not in the pic - all with added voltage meter.

EDIT: My wife just grabbed them for me.

Sorry for the tangent - hijacking the thread. -

But anyway good info on checking unknown diodes. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have a variable lab power supply. How do I test pinout exactly?
I like to shine a flashlight into the diode window. The proper bias will give you a small positive voltage, just like a regular photovoltaic. It may take trial and error since you might have a photodiode in there along with the laser diode