Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

How to get unkown laser diode to operate

AquaticHarpy

It died at 80ma, no longer pulling amperage. At 50ma it started dimming on camera

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
They sound like diodes for CD players.

FireMyLaser

IR illumination or data transfer. Not burning or even a beam, unless you can remove the plastic enclosure and fit the diode in a proper housing.

FireMyLaser

You confuse the colour with brightness before and after threshold. The real colour does not change. It is IR (or near IR).

FireMyLaser

I have no good explanation for that behaviour. But it's likely above 700nm IR.

Otherwise it must have two dies and you somehow power both at the same time.

Last edited:

AquaticHarpy

Could it just be a well built diode? This was a custom lot of 54 from a lab somewhere, maybe after pushing it so far it changes somehow

FireMyLaser

My personal opinion is that you still only get one wavelength, just a jump in brightness. 0.4mA is extremely low threshold. I think 24mA is the actual threshold.

AquaticHarpy

24ma is the jump where my ir camera no longer picks it up. 3-4 is the jump of large brightness

FireMyLaser

If you feel sure that it change colour, then verify that the pinout can produce light in more than one way. You have six possible combinations, maybe you use one that's not the intended one.