Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many times have you been on airplanes?

As of now, only 11 times, on six different airlines.

Spirit airlines just plain suck. Every other airline, your checked luggage has to be under 50lb. For spirit it's 40lb.

Every other airline, you're allowed one carry on, and one personal item. Not so with spirit... if you want a carry on, you also pay extra. So be forewarned, when all is said and done, the "budget" airline will easily be the same price as any other, or more.

Benm

I just added about 10 legs to my total just this summer...

amsterdam-cairo-kuala lumpur
kl-manila
manila-dumaguete
cebu-singapore
singapore-denpasar
denpasar-kl

.. and then, on the way back, kl-bangkok-cairo-amsterdam... darn egyptair detours!

ok probably 30+ and i have a question for those who travel and bring their high powered lasers do you ever have any issues? how do you transport them? carry on?
thanks

IsaacT

Not enough. I love flying!!! So much fun. I once sat by a friend of mine though, who was afraid of flying. My enthusiasm pissed him off, quite a bit in fact.

I kind of want to ask the pilot of the 777 crash that question....

I have flown maybe 20-30 times...maybe more. i have been flying places ever since i was a kid and i have a degree in aerospace engineering. Also, i am a Flight Management System (FMS) engineer and fly around on a simulator for half the day. so you could say i like airplanes too. :p

-Mike

Last edited:

IsaacT

Apparently that pilot had less than 40 hours under his belt. Ridiculous!

IsaacT

Whoops, 43 hours. But never landed a Boeing 777 before....you would think that it would be important.

that figures. it looks like he made a suuuuper rookie mistake. i know because i made those same mistakes when i first jumped in the simulator.

edit:

wannaburnstuff,
haha did they say he hadn't landed a 777 period or just at the SF airport before? the news was just saying that he hadn't landed at the SF airport before. Have they changed their story?

Last edited:

ARG

i know because i made those same mistakes when i first jumped in the simulator.

I got to fly a 747 simulator, came out of an intentional stall, took 10g's and tore the wings off :)

maybe you should put in a job application for Asiana Airlines. It sounds like you are qualified. hahaha

seriously though, it is harder than it looks. especially when you are trying to recover from an error and not just doing everything right the first time. In your case, if you managed to get enough g's to rip the wings off in a recovery attempt then you were in a better spot than the 777 pilot. That pilot didn't have enough airspeed/altitude (kinetic energy/potential energy) to do much about his mistake once he realized it. When you have neither of both "energies" and you don't have time for the engines to spool up then you are pretty much screwed.

no airspeed = you can't pull up without stalling

no altitude = you can't fall any further to gain airspeed without hitting the ground

you can trade one for the other, but you are screwed if you don't have either. The pilot shouldn't have even tried an approach like that i think....if he wasn't sure of himself, he should have err'd on overshooting the runway and just doing a 'go around' rather than undershooting it and taking the chance of getting himself into a situation like that.

I got to fly a 747 simulator, came out of an intentional stall, took 10g's and tore the wings off :)

Well over 100 if you count all sizes of airplanes.

The smallest was a Piper Super Cub in Alaska. The largest was a 747-400. Of the small planes I liked the Merlin Metro the best. I would fly it any day.

About 18 or so with 4 more coming up in the next 2 weeks. I was pretty nervous the first time but enjoy it now.

ok probably 30+ and i have a question for those who travel and bring their high powered lasers do you ever have any issues? how do you transport them? carry on?
thanks

Not a chance in hell I'd take a laser on a flight and chance one of those absolutely incompetent, embarrassment to the nation idiots from the TSA deciding that you can't take it on the plane and your expensive laser has now been confiscated erm make that "voluntarily surrendered" since the TSA has stated they never confiscate anything.

Last edited: