Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do you use your Class 4 Greenies?

To those of you who own Class 4 green (and other wavelength) lasers...how do you use them and enjoy them? Do you blast them into the night sky? Burn things? Special effects?

☐ Blast them in the night sky
☐ Burn things
☐ Special effects
☑ All of the above

:p

GSS

Not as much as I would like to:(
There is just to much chance of complaints or laser confiscation to be using them outside as to where I live. My best chance for the rare occasional outside sky shots are early dark mornings and still then I feel like i'm sticking out like a sore thumb:whistle:
So my most fun now is inside use and burning and lens comparing. I do find some odd things to burn once in a while though. This still gets a bit boring at times. "sorry to say this to all the burning guys".
Their kinda like an old muscle car that you just have to chance it and take it to the streets and do some nice smoke shows:)

Last edited:
Burning and beam shots are really the only thing I've done with my higher powered lasers. I've actually been messing around with some lower power (20-300mw) lasers lately. Decided to start a laser lumia project.

Razako

I got bored with burning stuff rather quickly. I mostly just enjoy looking at their beams outside for a few minutes sometimes.

Eracoy

I love to take photos of the beams. I have a bunch of lensing and gratings and take pictures in many different conditions. Outdoors, indoors; day, night; with fog, without. My NDG7475 maglite is the usual green I use (along side a NUBM07e for blue).
4NDcLpFl.jpg

rBa6gCyl.jpg

Other than for their awesome beams, i like to use them for engraving. I have a sweet 800mw 405nm in a ehg host that has a side button perfectly placed so i can hold it like a pen and write.

Cel

I got bored with burning stuff rather quickly. I mostly just enjoy looking at their beams outside for a few minutes sometimes.

This.

And taking pics of them. But that can be really difficult sometimes.

Pman

Like GSS uses his pretty much and to help others with comparisons to other builds/wavelengths so they can make informed decisions on what o build/buy.
For the most part 532nm doesn't vary much in wavelength but all the others from 510-520nm can be all over the place. One of the things many of us do is build specifically to try and get a different color from the same diode by changing how they are driven. A couple of good examples of this are the 07E and the NDB7675 diodes.

I find that high powered green lazies are more appropriate for beam shots. Impressing friends with it and showing them that it is so bright that you can see the beam line even in the day��:D

I'll leave the burning to the blue lazies as they have higher wattages available in the market now.

And other unique colors like yellow or orange or pinkish red and violet that usually come at low powered lazies for casual pointing. Best if they are pocket sized. (still strictly bearing in mind laser safety guidelines) (I'm in the army and it's useful as well as cool to use it for training, e.g showing your troopers where exactly on the ground to deploy instead of pointing your fat finger at a general direction, or maybe signaling your comrades for things.)

Here's a shocker: I have no practical uses for high-power lasers. I have a few, and just recently acquired my first (maybe?) 1W blue. So why am I here?

I like building the tech (circuits and machined parts) that makes them do what they do. Push the upper limits... and that's all.