Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

@Silvershot: Sorry if i didn't make this clear. Everyone who's entering needs to enter one of their own builds. I am getting someone to determine a shortlist of 10 hosts which will be put into the poll, and then people can vote in the poll. The winner will be the one who gets the most votes in the poll.

@DTR: Looking through that thread made me consider grabbing a cheap DX host and tricking it out into a laser. I then slapped my own hand and had to remind myself that i have exams atm... :(

If you guys vote for it maybe I can get reginak to do some pics with it.:eg:

Handy having a girl who likes lasers around... haha. If i ever attempt to sell anything on the forum i'll be sure to prod the woman into having her photo taken with it beforehand.
Speaking of which, i'll be willing to trade an extensive photoshoot with Chezumss dressed up using a host of your choice in exchange for either, one of the said hosts or a couple of PHR sleds. Any takers? :D PM if interested ;)

Last edited:

Bobby

The 14650 host would probably be at the top of my list for hosts to own.

But what other hosts have had so many firsts as the Frankenstein and such an influence on the direction of the hobby. It was definitely a milestone for the LPF this year and I will stick with it as my choice.

First to break 2W in a handheld
First to use more than 1.5A in a handheld
First to use a P3 lab style driver in a handheld
First to use as massive of a heatsink to tame the 445 beast in a handheld
First to use that great looking high quality host(I have been debating building another)
Started a trend to larger higher capacity batteries
Inspired many new builds.

This unit was the full package at the time.:beer:

If you guys vote for it maybe I can get reginak to do some pics with it.:eg:
I will vote for it for those reasons and the fact that it is the one of all of these I have seen that I REALLY WANT. Let me know how much I need to save up, and how long it will take to find the "just right" diode again :D It'll be worth the wait (by then, maybe Frankie v2 will be up to 3W!) ...

Hmm -- if there were categories, maybe, Frankie gets "most innovative" per the reasons above?

The white that Jay just posted would be something like "most technically intricate", right?

The Steampunk looks "most artistic".

Who would get "most powerful" or "longest run at >1W"?

Dang -- how does a n00b like me decide?

anselm

I'm going to be spending time from now until next Friday trying to find a suitable person to judge the shortlist, which will be the judge's favourite 10 hosts.
That's sad news, as some won't make the poll.
I do not envy whoever will have to make the call which 10 make the list. :(
Sure you don't wanna go for semi-finals?
But I guess you must be tired of updating the rules by now.:crackup:
Now, if you win, you get all this!:...
:drool:
P.S. And remember, if I happen to win, please give the prize to anselm...
Whoa, where did that come from?:thinking:
I feel humbled.:worthy:
Even though I guess that offer is gone now, since you won't be running,
jayrob, I very much apreciate your intention.:D:D

umss

I suggested an alternative method, such as creating the options on a quiz like site where we can have eryones entries.

@Bobby: I did think of that. The problem would have been rounding up that many entries, and obtaining that many prizes. Maybe next year someone that's not me can host it and do a better job of it? Who knows, maybe even you could host it, if you're still around then?

@anselm: Yeah, 'tis sad news. There's not one host here that doesn't deserve the prize (granted, FireMyLaser's could do with a bit more explanation, but that doesn't mean it's undeserving) but there aren't that many prizes to give away. I could do semi-finals, but i thought you guys would be fed up of changing the rules. Also, i don't want it to take too long and get ridiculous.

@Chez: Stop trying to gain points by suggesting more favourable ideas! :p I've decided this, and that's final!! I don't want it hosted elsewhere!!

Last edited:

Bobby

@Bobby: I did think of that. The problem would have been rounding up that many entries, and obtaining that many prizes. Maybe next year someone that's not me can host it and do a better job of it? Who knows, maybe even you could host it, if you're still around then?
JaiNobez: I sure meant no disrespect there if it came across that way. I also did not mean to suggest you needed more work :) I was just trying to get across that it will be hard to decide which is the overall BEST from what I've seen so far.

I will consider your suggestion, and sincerely hope to still be around next year.

My $.02 on this subject after watching how this thread is going is this.. The whole competition is kind of pointless. Taste is a subjective thing. It's like arguing over which car is better, or which pair of shoes... Everybody likes different stuff... And everybody who makes hosts usually attempts to do new, exciting, and unique builds. It's not a lot of fun to just copy other people's stuff.. Though I will admit to planning on doing my own RL-2088 'frankenstein' type build for myself. heh. But even then I have a few ideas to spice it up a bit and not just be a carbon copy of DTR's.

umss

Plz keep your personal issues out of the public. This is a laser forum :mad:

j/k

Hey you know, I got a fan delivered to my door yesterday, I didn't know what to do with it, and no one needs one so I threw it away:D

j/k :p

@Bobby: No offence was taken. I just didn't know this was going to be as hard work as it was. And yeah, it will be hard to choose. These hosts are all wonderful.

@qumefox: Sure, everyone likes different stuff, but that doesn't mean we can't hold a competition over it. Doesn't mean we all have to agree. There are plenty of examples of competitions based on totally subjective criteria. Cake contests, for example. About the only type of cake i really like is chocolate, but that doesn't mean that every cake that's ever won a cake competition is chocolate because it's not the same for the majority of people and most people prefer some other type. Far as i'm concerned, a particular flourless chocolate cake recipe results in the best chocolate cake in the world, but the other week after having baked it my younger sister complained about the texture, Chez complained the icing was too thick... etc. Subjectivity doesn't mean it's impossible to judge quality.
On the other hand, getting someone to judge a shortlist of 10 is a shame. It should be a vote. But it's better that the vote takes place on the forum for a whole bunch of reasons that we can all clearly see, so therefore i need to abide by the constraints the forum gives me. So that means narrowing down a shortlist. And it's better someone other than me does that or we'll be waiting 'til 2011 because i'm crap with decisions. And you guys would rather have a celebrity do it anyway.
Besides, doesn't the pocket mini tempt you at all?

@Silvershot: Yeah... pretty much what Chez said. Inside the package there was a note saying something about some Greek address and something argon-related... idk. Ahh well. Gone now, never to be seen again. Hope it wasn't important. :eg::eg::eg:

jakeGT

I thought it was going to be a poll?? And pyro jays maglite isn't even an option so guess who Im voting for. I wish ur tank was ur choice

jayrob

Is there any reason why I couldn't enter my SolarForce or my Maglite even though I don't want the prize?

Especially if it's a poll. (which it should be)

If I happen to win, the prize will go to anselm as I had mentioned before...