Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host of the year for 2010

DTR

Well I don't get to build to many full laser in different host because I am to busy building host for other people. If I had to pick one it would be the 2 26500 battery alien host.

You did a great Job on that host. Really felt solid when holding it. Did you ever get around to building yourself one?

@qumefox: Want me to enter yours? Looks awsome!

@DTW: He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

@Ehgemus: Entered. I thought of sticking a bunch of laser bits together, to form a trophy, but i didn't think anyone else would like it. Got a whole bunch of junk parts, nails, screws, hot glue and solder, i think i can knock something cool together this weekend. If we do pass it on each year, each person can add something to it so it'll get bigger and more cool-looking.

I'm really into pen-style pointers... not sure why. The slimmer the better. I just love how cool they are.
My favorite host is my dual power laser pen in my sig. If you want something right ya gotta do it yourself. ;)
It's my favorite because I think it looks sleek (12mm dia) and dual power & focusable makes it very practical & unique.
I think the slimmer stainless steel is a good change of pace from typical NewWish, CNI, & other black china pointers.
I have a AAAA pointer in the works... :whistle:

Video: YouTube - Purple Laser Pointer <<< video

My other favorite LPF member's host has got to be Qumefox's Copper Tank007!
Damn, that copper and black look sexy. Probably has wicked heatsinking too with the copper grooves.

100_0509.JPG

Each to their own. I personally FAR prefer torch-styles. While momentary buttons have their benefits and I wish there were more torch-style momentaries, I like something that adds weight to my pocket. I can see the appeal to it being generally compact, but IMO pen-styles look weedy (whether they are or not). That said, 445nm pens seem like a fun idea, because of how they're deceptively tame-looking.

Chez is into reaaaaallly big lasers and is currently bugging me to buy her a titan host. The laser itsself is irrelevant, she just likes the fact that it's huge.

I am entering the Tank007, whether qumefox replies or not! It's too cool-looking not to.

Last edited:
What's the overall diameter on that bad boy DTR? Effective heatsinking?

I'd love to do a dual Lithium AA 445nm "pen"... although even a AA host is too fat for me to consider a pen pointer. Nevertheless, something like that should be able to push out 3V @ 2A+ with >2500mAh... so a 1200mW+ 445nm beam with good life should be possible. But you're going to pay $4 everytime you kill the batteries.

Last edited:
Trying to decide on ONE for host of the year? That's tough, kind of like trying to decide which is my favorite star in the night sky!:thinking:

Grix

I also vote Jayrob 18650 kit. It looks absolutely badass, it's the perfect size (imho), takes the perfect battery and is easy to assemble. I only wish it was a lil' cheaper.. :(

@Aaron: Grab a rod of aluminium and stick it in your lathe. That's how i got mine.

@LORDJET: Yeah. It's been a good year for hosts. Partly the result of the new 445 diodes, i feel. But not entirely... the forum's creativity accounted for most of it, the diodes just let it happen. Just that now wonderfully high-powered diodes which basically are as high powered as you can accomadate are easily available there is a lot more incentive to work more on hosts. Sort of like the invention of the camera made art no longer about representing what was physically present and made room for new types of originality. Plenty of other examples i can think of. It's a wonderful thing these 445s have done, and not just because of the laser beam they produce.

@Grix: I'm going to change the original post to be a little clearer. The voting will be on a poll starting on Friday. 'Til then it's just people submitting their entries. If you have a host you want to show off, enter it!

DTR

What's the overall diameter on that bad boy DTR? Effective heatsinking?

I'd love to do a dual Lithium AA 445nm "pen"... although even a AA host is too fat for me to consider a pen pointer. Nevertheless, something like that should be able to push out 3V @ 2A+ with >2500mAh... so a 1200mW+ 445nm beam with good life should be possible. But you're going to pay $4 everytime you kill the batteries.

I am not sure on the exact dimensions. That would be a good questions for Ehgemus. The battery is not AA size but 14650 which is the diameter of an AA but as long as an 18650. The cells is a Sanyo high discharge rate unprotected cell. As far as draining it to a point where it could damage the battery it will start pulsing @ 3.6V letting you know that you need to recharge. So unless you left it on unattended you should not be able to over drain the battery.

Now this is one of my favorite hosts but I will keep the Frankenstein as my pick because it was a real game changer. The line for 2W units started with it and it also gave myself and others a new way of thinking about larger hosts and bigger batteries. Before the Frankenstein for the most part everything I remember seeing on LPF was 18650 and smaller hosts with a few exceptions.;)

I can,t believe the 5 grove host was not mentioned yet, it was my best selling host this year.